• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beauty and the Beast Romances Through Manga History

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
For those less-informed folks (myself included): "AT425c" stands for Aarne–Thompson classification systems of folktales; stories like "Beauty and the Beast" is categorized as "type 425c."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
Little surprised Sacrificial Princess & the King of Beasts by Yu Tomofuji didn't get a mention but than again the first volume is not due out in English til April of next year from Yen Press. So that is understandable if it was not included. can't really say I was that huge a fan of Magus Bride Manga.

I read first volume and it felt like o,k, YA Fiction I didn't hate it but it didn't make me want to read anymore of it either. Which is surprising because I love Beauty and The Beast style romance stories.

The interesting thing I find with Water Dragon's Bride is that Suijin (the titular Water Dragon God) does a lot of the things he does to Arisa or when he interacts mortals. It feels more like it comes more out of a kind bemused interest like how a kid plays with a bug in mason jar. Or at least that is how I felt about it
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
Doesn't Inuyasha qualify as a Beauty and the Beast thing too?
Rednimue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Probably the closest thing to a Story that falls in the "beauty and the beast" category I've read - watched in the realm of Manga - Anime is Kamisama Hajimemashite and maybe Howl's moving castle, however this is Anime - western novel only, so It's not related to the topic in question.
Also It's funny that, "Beauty and the Beast Romances Through Manga History",
when a good chunk of the works analyzed in the article aren't ... But whatever .
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Dormcat, I meant to link to that in the article and totally spaced. Shocked

Parsifal24, that's precisely why I didn't include that title. Plus I was getting long-winded - I had a whole Ten Count paragraph that I ended up cutting, as well as a section about Inu Yasha's "Beauty War" between Kikyo, Inu Yasha, and Kagome, which was basically it's own article.

Rednimue, true - it's at least half manhwa. But since my working title was "Terrible Romances Justified by 18th Century Frenchwomen," I'd say this one is okay.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Probably it was not the writers intention, but none the less:

Quote:
... Chise ... (despite being offered her freedom at one point, lending credence to the modern theory that AT425c trades in Stockholm Syndrome)

I would have to point out that Chise is not under (physical or mental) abuse by Elias on Ancient Mags' Bride and they have spent a very limited time together so there is no Stockholm Syndrome to talk in said series. Period.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
Little surprised Sacrificial Princess & the King of Beasts by Yu Tomofuji didn't get a mention but than again the first volume is not due out in English til April of next year from Yen Press. So that is understandable if it was not included.
I was a bit surprised that it wasn't mentioned since that was the first manga I thought of when I read the article title. Still it does make sense that they aren't covering anything that hasn't been released in English.

mangamuscle wrote:
Probably it was not the writers intention, but none the less:

Quote:
... Chise ... (despite being offered her freedom at one point, lending credence to the modern theory that AT425c trades in Stockholm Syndrome)

I would have to point out that Chise is not under (physical or mental) abuse by Elias on Ancient Mags' Bride and they have spent a very limited time together so there is no Stockholm Syndrome to talk in said series. Period.
Yeah, of all the choices in the article that was an odd choice for bringing up the topic of Stockholm Syndrome.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
@mangamuscle
You're right, that wasn't quite my intention - it was a poorly timed moment to reference a popular interpretation of the tale type's central relationship that doesn't fit AMB, although it does fit a couple of the others in the article.

@Chrono1000
It was kind of an arbitrary decision not to include any titles not currently available in English, and to be honest, it's not a choice I usually make. There were just so many to choose from that that's how I ended up narrowing it down.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Meruem and Komugi from HunterXHunter. However, none of them would really qualify as the Beauty.

"The Ugly and the Beast". xD
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

Parsifal24, that's precisely why I didn't include that title. Plus I was getting long-winded - I had a whole Ten Count paragraph that I ended up cutting, as well as a section about Inu Yasha's "Beauty War" between Kikyo, Inu Yasha, and Kagome, which was basically it's own article.

Sesshomaru and Rin's relationship seem to follow the path of Beauty and the Beast than the title character.
The strange relationship between "It was only a coincidence I happened to save you" brooding youkai and unusually up beat peasant girl would be a narrative reason for Sesshomaru to no longer be as openly antagonistic to his half brother.
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
@MajinAkuma: Meruem is absolutely beautiful. So beautiful.

This was a fun article to read, though when I first saw it on the homepage I had a self-righteous moment of "TAMB is most definitely NOT Beauty & the Beast!" But I enjoyed the points made. With the caveats, I suppose it is close. Chise never disliked Elias even from the beginning, and was never frightened of him. She did not care that he is a beast, and even prefers he appear as himself rather than with a human face. Elias dotes on his precious human experiment, but is affectionate rather than amorous. Despite his talk of honeymoons and marriage, he does not seem to desire her sexually at this point. There is one similarity between the tales however: Chise is there to teach Elias how to be human, like Beauty must do with the Beast. I suppose I can admit that there are similarities. However, there is an addition here: Elias must teach Chise to value herself.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairytale of all time. That said, I think it's important to make the Beast look and behave beastly since his appearance is one of the major selling points of the story. It doesn't work for me at all if the guy looks like a human.
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I think the article missed another element of cross-characterization in the Ancient Magus' Bride. Through her childhood, Chise was frequently called a "monster" and worse herself. Her loss of self-esteem after all that abuse is one of the reasons she sold herself into slavery.

Even as she grows more confident, she still seems to have internalized the idea that she is a monster. After Elias transforms into his "true form", Chise is much more direct in expressing her affection than she has been up until that point (at least in the anime). This can be interpreted in a few different ways. It may be as simple as, having seen Elias at his worst, she now trusts him more than anyone else in her past. Or, it might be that she still sees herself as a monster, and only another monster is a fit partner for her.

As for "Stockholm Syndrome", Chise with Elias is definitely not a great example. She's finally found a place where she belongs. The Stockholm Syndrome moment for Chise is when she sells herself into slavery, thinking any life in captivity is better than what she was going through before.

That said, the general pattern for "425c" definitely has a theme of "accept your situation and find the kernel of joy in your captivity."
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
klv wrote:
he does not seem to desire her sexually at this point.

I wonder if Elias has any sexual drive at all, maybe he is like the protagonist of the movie Meet Joe Black and has the capability but it is not in his nature. After watching one of the latest shorts (if you have not, go now, I will wait) I think Chise will have to take the lead if they want progeny.

Quote:
Chise is there to teach Elias how to be human, like Beauty must do with the Beast.

TBT that part never made any sense to me in the original tale, beast does not need to learn no be human, he was born human; he simply has anger management issues, it is like having to get along with someone with post traumatic stress disorder.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Just throwing it out there, if anyone's interested in Boys Over Flowers, I highly suggest watching the anime. Its ending is vastly superior to the manga. And when I say "vastly superior", I mean the manga will make you wonder what the hell you wasted your money on. Confused

Now, the animation is a bit dated, and Tsukasa is a massive butthole, but bare with it. Anime catgrin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2