• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games: Apollo Justice and Animal Crossing Return

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Hello Heidi, welcome to This Week in Games! I look forward to reading your thoughts on gaming each week. : )

Romancing SaGa 2: I have to be honest here: despite the fact I have this on my iPhone since its mobile release, I haven't played it in virtually forever. The touchscreen controls are a bit dodgy and getting into too many fights early on (which tends to happen often due to the aforementioned control issue) can make your first run of the game a bit less memorable than expected. If by "other game consoles", Kawazu is referring to the PS4, that would be very welcoming, and I'll gladly restart the game if it meant controlling the onscreen character better (not like I've progressed that far into it anyway).

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Probably the biggest reveal is KOS-MOS as a Rare Blade: http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/30/xenosagas-kos-mos-appears-rare-blade-xenoblade-chronicles-2/

I figured it was a matter of time before they stuck Xenosaga in there somewhere. I haven't yet played the first Xenoblade, so I feel like I'm missing out.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Welcome, Heidi, and here's hoping you're with us for a good while. I can always get behind someone who wishes for Virtua Fighter 6!

belvadeer wrote:
Romancing SaGa 2: If by "other game consoles", Kawazu is referring to the PS4, that would be very welcoming, and I'll gladly restart the game if it meant controlling the onscreen character better (not like I've progressed that far into it anyway).

Personally, I'm hoping for a Switch port, because that would be awesome. Regardless, I'm happy to see another SaGa game finally come over, because I love how against tradition Akitoshi Kawazu is; he's easily one of my absolute favorite people in the gaming industry.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Personally, I'm hoping for a Switch port, because that would be awesome. Regardless, I'm happy to see another SaGa game finally come over, because I love how against tradition Akitoshi Kawazu is; he's easily one of my absolute favorite people in the gaming industry.

Here's hoping it's both then, since he did say "consoles". And I quite agree, SaGa is such an awesome series with its unique traits and quirks, and it wouldn't have happened without Kawazu. The best part is he pushed for Romancing SaGa 3's release overseas in addition, and that is one title in the series I've been dying to play for years.
xchampion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Welcome aboard Heidi!!! They always seem to find the perfect writers to complement the previous writers on this column. If I didn't know about the switches I would think they were written by the same person. That was not a pun on the Nintendo Switch either. Lol.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What also came flooding back, though, is a recollection of why Apollo Justice is generally considered one of the weaker Ace Attorney series games

It's considered weak because apparently Apollo wasn't supposed to replace Phoenix (or be different from Phoenix) eventhough in both instances he actually was supposed to. As for being one of the weaker entries in the series, that's pretty harsh when Justice For All and Trials and Tribulations are still around.

Quote:

I mean, I liked RE4 a lot -- and who wouldn't,

That a deliberately rhetorical question?

Also welcome Ms. Kemp
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
You know I've heard this demise of the Vita for the last few years. Yet it still gets new release, and more importantly for the fans of this site, basically all the releases are jrpgs or other niche titles. Honestly its library overall rivals any in terms of that genre, and pretty much the only thing it doesnt have are some AAA titles beyond an Uncharted game, but honestly most of those are better off on the ps4.

But its nice to see this column still around.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Welcome aboard! It's nice to see the column continue. The writing style is different, but in a good way that doesn't intrude on this segment's purposes.

If she can throw in some Falcom love from time to time, it'd make this perfect. Also pretty decent fan/reader of her site, she'll do fine.
Laethiel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Welcome, Heidi. I'm glad the column's back; I've always found it interesting and fun to read even when my opinions or tastes are different from the writer's, and from this inaugural column, it looks like that will continue.

Quote:
One Piece of furniture

Watch out for the autolinker.

Quote:
FIRST LOOK: APOLLO JUSTICE: ACE ATTORNEY 3DS

Quote:
NEW RELEASES

I'm guessing these were supposed to be formatted like "First Impressions - .hack//G.U. Last Recode" and "UPCOMING RELEASES", respectively, from this previous article, but they're just plain text.

Quote:

The translator botched the last line. "I bear no grudge against you, but I'll have you pay for your father's sins with your blood......"

Quote:
I guess he got all the belts out of his system with Dissidia NT's Materia.

Materia's design does look silly, but I don't actually see any belts.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
From this point on, you can expect the column to contain approximately 50% more complaining about the lack of Virtua Fighter 6 and random mentions of Raimais.

Wow, I was just watching you walk Slowbeef through that game! Small world...
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Hello, and welcome! I'm looking forward to reading your contributions to the column since your writing style and tastes (based on what I see on your site too) seem to be similar to my own. Bring us some more of that retro love with meticulous research and callbacks to loveable shortcomings (I had almost forgotten about that RE typo)! Smile
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Aside from Apollo's deficiencies as a lead, that game also bizarrely leaves plot threads hanging, introduces mechanics in simple examples only to never use them again, and disastrously introduces the big villain as an easily-defeated buffoon in the first and easiest case.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Aside from Apollo's deficiencies as a lead, that game also bizarrely leaves plot threads hanging, introduces mechanics in simple examples only to never use them again, and disastrously introduces the big villain as an easily-defeated buffoon in the first and easiest case.

And I could accept Apollo's "lack of personality" for just the intended shtick that it's his first case and he's baffled by all the eccentrics Phoenix ran into--

But when did Phoenix, smiling self-satisfiedly through Apollo's "training", turn into such an aloof, pretentious hipster in 90's-Slacker garb, who made his big self-conscious drop out of the legal system after the unending "Corruption of the legal system" preachiness in the first two games?
Yes, I know it's a comment on Japanese courts, which can be far less impartial/clean than Western courts, but it's like seeing Perry Mason hit the bottle, Matlock curse about them danged slacker kids, or Rumpole of the Bailey finally strangle She Who Must Be Obeyed and run away to Rio... Sad

Oh well, at least I've also got Spirit of Justice on the Mac iOS, hopefully it threw a better new wrench into the game.
And if Maya Fey's all grown up and out of the story now, at least Trucy is a suitably nutty new equivalent.
cfalcon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
Glad to see this column return! Phoenix Wright remakes can help bring in new players, but as someone who played all the English ones, I'd prefer to see the Great Ace Attorney come over. Probably not going to occur tho, given the "this is LA" localization hole they dug themselves into.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Aside from Apollo's deficiencies as a lead, that game also bizarrely leaves plot threads hanging,

Other than the ones associated with Apollo and Trucy's mother which they were always intended to follow up on (and probably would've been in much better position to do so had the gen 1 fanboys not whined about "why come Phoenix no lawyer? where my Maya?") which other ones did they leave dangling?

Fronzel wrote:
introduces mechanics in simple examples only to never use them again,

Jurist system? which isn't too different from how Luminol testing was used in the games.

Fronzel wrote:
and disastrously introduces the big villain as an easily-defeated buffoon in the first and easiest case.

Kristoph was only defeated through trickery though. But at the very least he wasn't as much of annoying pain in the ass (nor overstayed his welcome) like Dahlia who wasn't much better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1