• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Creator Says Sales Ultimately Determine Series Cancellation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the author's understanding. Some people forget art and business go hand-in-hand.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, no kidding. A lot of anime series are created just to boostbsales for their original material whether it be a light novel, manga or game. Happens all the time!! Though, I have seen some really good series be cancelled for no good reason. I'm looking at you Shounen Jump!!
Hades_ANI

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm glad the author's understanding

I don't see where you find this information. It's obvious, that the author was pissed, that the reveal of the cancellation was so fast and that it is not discussed with him, he already had planned much more things. His words at the end of the article are only there, because he wants to find a new publisher and you can't piss on one hand and then hope the next one will reach out their helping hand for you.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Hades_ANN wrote:
Quote:
I'm glad the author's understanding

I don't see where you find this information. It's obvious, that the author was pissed, that the reveal of the cancellation was so fast and that it is not discussed with him, he already had planned much more things. His words at the end of the article are only there, because he wants to find a new publisher and you can't piss on one hand and then hope the next one will reach out their helping hand for you.

I think Morry was trying to say that it's commendable for the author to take it in stride. He probably is pissed, but not everyone is capable of putting that aside to, at least in public, react calmly and professionally.
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
That's why it's so important, as a fan, to put your money where your heart is. While stories may come from a place of passion , anime and manga are businesses, and if the series doesn't make the expected business targets, it will be cut.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Aw, dang! I liked that manga!
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
jenny10-11 wrote:
That's why it's so important, as a fan, to put your money where your heart is. While stories may come from a place of passion , anime and manga are businesses, and if the series doesn't make the expected business targets, it will be cut.

Ain't that the truth.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
In other news: Water is wet.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
DatRandomDude wrote:
In other news: Water is wet.

And grass is green.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Should have known his editor wouldn't start with compliments if they had good news.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
jenny10-11 wrote:

Damn This Author seems mad...

Well unfortunately some fans (westerners for example) aren't fortunate enough to put their money where "their heart is" espcially when there isn't other way for mangas/anime work to cross over.

Fans want to support these authors and see their series contuine but its not possible if said Manga isn't transalated or sold to their country. Which is why they take "illeagal" matters and read online. It all comes down to Japan of course so...GET SUPPORTING JAPAN!!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
Well unfortunately some fans (westerners for example) aren't fortunate enough to put their money where "their heart is" espcially when there isn't other way for mangas/anime work to cross over.

Fans want to support these authors and see their series contuine but its not possible if said Manga isn't transalated or sold to their country. Which is why they take "illeagal" matters and read online. It all comes down to Japan of course so...GET SUPPORTING JAPAN!!

Please don't pull the discussion in that direction..........
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Hades_ANN wrote:
I don't see where you find this information.

Pretty sure it's this:
The Article wrote:
Inue said he understands that publishers cannot take on projects that will become financial burdens. He later added that he does not blame his publisher or editor for the decision to cancel the manga based on monetary concerns.

I don't doubt that he's still upset about it, but he's not going on a rage-fuelled rant of "eff the publishers, cancelling a good manga like that", he's acknowledging that ultimately it has to make money for them.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
The manga market is very very saturated with so many artists that want to make their career out of drawing manga, this shows how hard and competitive the mangaka field really is.
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
That's a little disappointing. I very recently found this manga and checked it out. Even if it's not one of the best things I've read, it was still decent and has some interesting points to it. I hate it when a manga I'm reading suddenly gets axed when the author was planning to continue the story beyond what they have been allotted. It happens way too often, and it has occurred a few times with even some of my most appreciated titles. I hope this author has luck in finding another platform for the continuation of his manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2