• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Channel Blocked from Foreign Access

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omega13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote
Did they just block certain parts of the site? I'm definitely not in Japan, and the link on the main page seemed to work fine.

Edit: Ah, never mind. I went back and actually waited for the video clip to load. It was a frowny-face and said 'Sorry, you cannot access the contents."
burzmali

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
Good thing there aren't any proxy servers in Japan. Rolling Eyes
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
According to their FAQ:

Quote:
※本サービスは日本国内限定となっております。
 日本国外からご利用頂くことができません。あらかじめご了承ください。

Roughly translated:

Quote:
*This service is limited to domestic Japan only.
It is impossible to use [this service] outside Japan. Please understand it in advance.

It seems like proxy servers are not allowed even for Japanese users. The FAQ page teaches users how to disable proxy.

And don't open its index page with Firefox. It'll crash.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Omega13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
And don't open its index page with Firefox. It'll crash.

Hmm...that's where I opened it preceeding my first post and had no problems.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote
like that is going to stop them....
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
Oh well, I hope that they bring Flag over when it's done then. Crying or Very sad
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Okay, they bitch about non-Japanese fans stealing anime via fansubs, but they block off a legal avenue that people who don't download fansubs might actually use to check out new series? I can just hear Dark Helmet now, "Evil will win because Good is dumb." Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Suddenly I don't feel bad at all for watching fansubs.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I see why did that. They blocked it because Bandai Channle is only for people living in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
otimus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Unless they did this because a Bandai Channel is coming to America (Which it likely isn't), I consider this a total jerk move.
Though, I am glad to NOT see the usual mindless-defense from my fellow anime fans of it. Thank god for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
karatedog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
I see why did that. They blocked it because Bandai Channle is only for people living in Japan.

Well, they might as well close the airports, coz Japan is for the Japanese people, huhh?. Cool
I would understand copyright reasons, but that's free content they are streaming there.
Thefluff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
its always fun when you discover something cool because its being taken away Cool
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote
Semi related, when I updated my PSP firmware there was a new option called PortableTV where you can download episodes of My-Otome for 100yen (as well as at least one free episode of something-or-other), but after struggling with it for ages (requires login but doesn't tell you how to get one) managed to get to the so-net registration page from a PC which requires a Japanese postal address and payment card Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Chamelion-Sama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
This sucks because Ajin specifically I've been trying to watch for a couple weeks, and I don't like the fansubs that people post, and I also don't have Netflix, I do have hulu, but unfortunately it is not in syndication (due to it being a Netflix original), so I finally found a link to the series through Bandai (unsubbed), but it requires payment to watch, and I'm broke, I do have an external JP bank account, but with no money in it yet, so just to Bandai Namco corporation (Kabushiki gaisha Bandai Namco) make it free again please[/code]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1