• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Captain Tsubasa Anime Adds 6 More Cast Members

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised about ANN posting so much Captain Tsubasa related stuff, considering sports anime doesn't make it big in the USA.
Titus-A

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
I'm surprised about ANN posting so much Captain Tsubasa related stuff, considering sports anime doesn't make it big in the USA.

Especially football-related one. But then again, even they cannot deny that Captain Tsubasa is king of all sports anime, or at least overall is a culturally significant work as opposed to what few are popular in the States, especially compared a certain recent show got attention for the all wrong reasons, namely NOT for the sport that it presents.

Ahem, I'm not talking about Keijo, btw,
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Indeed. I don't think any other anime has had so much influence on real-life players, like Vieri, Zidane, Messi, Rodríguez and Nakata, among others. But considering how the USA has always been rather reluctant to accept that football is the #1 sport in the world... And the only person I've seen here that enjoys football is Mike Toole. Does this mean that if the series come out, will anyone volunteer to review the anime?
MadHi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Nakata? You mean Japanese footballers in general. It says something when the players make videos to reinact shots from the manga, even ones that would be impractical IRL. This series is partially the reason football became popular in Japan and with time it has become the most popular sport over there much to the chagrin of it's naysayers. It's been dubbed into more languages than most anime including German, Spanish (different kinds), Portuguese, Arabic, French, Persian and Turkish.

Not even Yoichi Takahashi could recapture the glory with Hungry Heart: Wild Striker, and that's also a great series.

And reluctant is not the word I'd choose, more like 'stubborn.'
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
And reluctant is not the word I'd choose, more like 'stubborn.'

I was trying to be careful in my wording.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1