• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Famitsu Launches English Survey to See What Fans Think of Japanese Games

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
This is cool, I took it. I listed my three favorite games as Wind Waker, Ico, and We Love Katamari, though maybe Killer7 should have made the cut.

Unfortunately I could only answer the Breath of the Wild questions, though I'll play Resident Evil 7 soon.
Mhora

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Sent!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I could only answer for Persona 5 (I don't play Zelda games because I was a Sega Genesis kid and Nintendo is Evil...And is Automata or MHW really that good?).
But when it asked for a pulldown choice of "Which was your favorite (P5) character?", my button finger trembled for a moment on Ann, but in the end, you KNOW who I chose...Heheh. Cool

...Partly just to p*ss them off? Maybe, but still an honest answer.
Let's see the look on Famitsu's face, as Japan has to deal with the social theories about why Americans liked socially-symbolic-tragic-evil-gamer/hacker-NEET-stereotype Futaba, just for being so lovably evil and cool-rude.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Done. After pressing 'transmission', it came to me that they didn't ask for email address - missed opportunity. Nice that they are looking for input, listed Steins;Gate, Persona 4 Golden and Fate/Extra as my 1 2 3.
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
It was interesting. Rare to see a game survey this detailed. Gave Pokemon White, Persona 3 and Ace Attorney 3.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:01 am Reply with quote
Great survey. While I did put Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix as my first favorite game, I decided to be different with the next two choices since people will most likely be putting the obvious favorites. The next two are Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth and Dangan Ronpa. DSCS has to do with taking a chance and appealing to an older target audience (compared to Pocket Monsters) and delivering on it and DR is related to story, gameplay, and concept overall.

Quote:
As the survey is focused on what overseas fans like about Japanese games, there are no questions or areas where fans can write critiques of the games or where the games could have been improved.

Good. That's how I want it. That would defeat my purpose in being interested in Japanese games.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Great survey. While I did put Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix as my first favorite game, I decided to be different with the next two choices since people will most likely be putting the obvious favorites.

Ambrose7 wrote:
It was interesting. Rare to see a game survey this detailed. Gave Pokemon White, Persona 3 and Ace Attorney 3.

...D'oh!! I should have put Ace Attorney! Confused
Capcom just wasn't on my mind, as I just generally associated "J-game = Square Enix", and put KH2 and FFVII after the obvious Persona 4. (3's nice, but it didn't have Yukiko Amagi.)

In all three cases, I was trying to demonstrate the American preference for "Quirky, distinctive anime-ready characters"--Phoenix and Maya would have fit in nicely with that--and "Simple turn-based battle, for lighter gameplay that doesn't bog down following the unique story and setting." Yes, I'm looking at you, FFXII and XV, that's why I picked the classic VII.

As for why they're doing the survey, I think it's the private fan/industry sector trying to take over for the mess the government made of Cool Japan, and figure out what Those Crazy Americans DO Like that can be merchandized and exported. (Without getting all caught up in the corporate tie-in manga, cafe and tea company deals.):
On one hand, you have the industry trying to court the new export market for the lucrative identity/attention of it--But on the other, you have a little influence of mainstream Japan's belief that Westerners are naive babes-in-the-woods about the insidious Reefer-Madness "dangers" of anime and game addiction causing NEET-dom, unemployment, and low national birthrates caused by 3D-girl-phobia and lolicons, and that if we're going crazy about Zelda:BotW or Monster Hunter World, there's clearly some half of the story we haven't been told yet by Those Who Know... Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1