• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Laid-Back Camp GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
Regarding campfires: I don't remember if the manga went into it, but the anime basically clearly stated that you are either allowed to make your campfire on the ground because it's safe to do so there (and as long as you're willing to clean up after yourself afterwards, which could be the rule of some of the sites there), or you'd have to buy some kind of footstool-shaped thing and make your campfires on top of those. As far as digging a hole goes; I'm not sure there are that many campsites that would appreciate their customers just digging holes wherever they please.

As for Rin's privacy being intruded upon; yeah, it's... not good, although I think that was more of a response to Ena catching on to the fact that Nadeshiko really, really, really wanted to see Rin again (after that hilarious reaction from Nadeshiko when she noticed Rin inside the school library) and repay her for whatever, so Ena just took a "well, maybe just this once" chance. Given that Rin and Ena have been friends for some time, long enough to exchange a lot of fun banter over the phone, I think it's safe to say that this isn't something Ena usually does. So yes, the mark of a good friend is someone who respects your rules, but the sign of a better friend is someone who knows you well enough to understand when it's OK to maybe bend the rules a little bit.

This is supported by what Aoi told Nadeshiko in the same chapter: that it isn't that Rin is a solitary person, as much as she just likes it when it's quiet. And although Nadeshiko arguably isn't a very quiet person in general, she does actually make an effort to be more... well, laid back... when she's with Rin. As is the rest of the club when they go camping again later, which makes this such a lovely franchise because it makes some pretty good observations when it comes to different kinds of people without implying that one kind of behavior is wrong and should be fixed by them becoming more open or something.

If I was disappointed about anything, then it would be because the first volume stopped just before that lovely moment that happened in the fifth episode of the anime: Nadeshiko and Rin sharing phone camera images of cities at night, taken from a nearby hilltop. That was a fantastic moment in a show that was already great from the get-go.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
So the big question, is it worth getting if you've already watched the anime?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the thoughtful response, Northlander. I have to admit, most of my camping experience is on rock beaches (not much sand where I live!) on uninhabited islands, so I can see where an actual campground would be very different about fire pits.

I hadn't recalled Aoi's line, but that does make things a little different. I'm looking forward to the scene you described and getting into the story more.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

It has a very different visual style from the anime, which alone might make it worth checking out.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
meiam wrote:

It has a very different visual style from the anime, which alone might make it worth checking out.

Well, it is more than a bit different, yes. Mind you, the storylines mostly plays out the same -- some minor changes notwithstanding -- so it's all going to depend on whether you feel it's worth getting both manga and anime if they feel more or less the same. I'm totally fine with that sort of thing, but I'm guessing you might not be, seeing as you're asking and all. (And it usually being one of the main concerns for people about having both manga and anime of something.)

Mind you, we have one season of this show so far, and if that ends up being all we get, the manga will eventually overtake the anime and continue into non-covered material. Worth thinking about too, I believe.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:53 am Reply with quote
I take great exception to this article on the grounds that wild turkeys are very sensible birds (as landfowl go). Apart from that, excellent review!
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:48 am Reply with quote
Northlander basically said everything I wanted to say, although probably a bit better than I would've. It feels like this review didn't mention much of Nadeshiko's activities in the club, but flipping through my copy, I guess there isn't as much of it as I remembered - the volume ends with the very start of their trip.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:43 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
Northlander basically said everything I wanted to say, although probably a bit better than I would've. It feels like this review didn't mention much of Nadeshiko's activities in the club, but flipping through my copy, I guess there isn't as much of it as I remembered - the volume ends with the very start of their trip.

The anime is a very close rendition of the manga, and I'm willing to bet that a lot of the people who are reading the manga now has also already seen the anime, so they already know how the trips will pan out, which might just make it feel like you just read that in the manga too. That said, I don't really have any issues with what Rebecca wrote in the review, as the tone of it made it quite clear that she hadn't watched any of the anime at all yet (or maybe just the first episode back when ANN ran the season rundown article), and I remember being a bit put off by Ena's ratting out of Rin's campspot to Nadeshiko at first too back when the show was being released on Crunchy on a weekly basis and I watched it there. My initial post here was more of a "rest easy" comment, as I hope she'll cover any future volumes too, even if I'm going to buy them regardless of whether that'll happen or not.

But yes, that trip was Nadeshiko's very first camping trip in that place -- maybe even at all. She didn't really camp herself when she first met with Rin as much as running over to Rin's camp area and then get picked up by her sister a couple of hours afterwards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1