• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why all the RIN-NE hate?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:41 am Reply with quote
I did not want to derail the Takahashi thread, but as I was reading the postings, all RIN-NE comments started at snarky and moved down from there, so I figured I would start a new thread to see why.
Why do people hate RIN-NE so much? I know it is not her best work, but placed against the general market place, it is a decent comedy with likeable characters (there was at least one good laugh just about every episode/chapter).
Is it the work itself people are opposed to, or the fact that of her long form works this is the least (I will admit that compared to her other works, this one feels completely "phoned in")?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
I watched the first season, but I gave up on the franchise about halfway through Season 2 when I realized I really didn't care about what was going on anymore. It just felt like the same thing recycled over and over again and was getting too tedious to slog through.

I wouldn't say I hate it though, just that watching it is like a chore. I felt the same about Urusei Yatsura.

I am of fan of some of her other works though like Inu Yasha, Maison Ikkoku, and Mermaid Forrest.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:44 am Reply with quote
I'm aware of Rin-ne's limitations, but overall I found it an enjoyable watch. Haven't read the manga. As for why it attracts hate... eh, this is endemic in anime fandom. There seem to be a large cohort of young dudes - and the snarky haters of stuff always seem to be young dudes - who just LOVE to hate things. It's not enough just to say, "yeah, I found this kind of dull" or "the humour didn't work for me." Nah, that's not good enough. It has to be ZOMG, THIS IS THE WORST TRASH EVER, IT WAS MORE HEINOUS THAN THE NAZIS!!! You see this with some of the reaction to Black Clover, Fairy Tail and a ton of other shows. If you are going to read at sites like ANN, you have to be prepared to encounter this kind of stupid hyperbole.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
I, too, enjoyed Rin-ne. While it was far from Takahashi's best work, it was definitely not terrible. Hell, parts of it even strayed from the formula that a lot of Takahashi's works tended to use. For the first time in quite a while, the male and female leads weren't constantly bickering with one another.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote
I *really* wanted to like Rinne because I am a Takahashi fan (I adore Inuyasha) but this was just....a little dull. I was a bit bored with it.

It is not a "bad" anime and it's not unpleasant to watch...but it lacked that motivation that makes me continue.

If it were to air on Toonami, I'd probably tune in again. lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1