• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE to Stream 1984 Glass Mask TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Don't watch this version. It's really bad. The 2005 anime is much better by a long shot. I'm dead serious.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm calling this here NOW...

If anyone does a North American release of this series (subbed), Nozomi or Sentai will be handling it. They've been doing most of the classic more mainstream anime releases.

This doesn't like a Discotek thing. Those guys mainly do classic big robots, Lupin III, and some license rescues from the early 2000's. Still a great company but this series isn't the kind of they're associated with...
Friki del Mal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

If anyone does a North American release of this series (subbed), Nozomi or Sentai will be handling it. They've been doing most of the classic more mainstream anime releases.

This doesn't like a Discotek thing. Those guys mainly do classic big robots, Lupin III, and some license rescues from the early 2000's. Still a great company but this series isn't the kind of they're associated with...

HIDIVE = Sentai.

So yeah, Sentai will make the home video edition, unless stated otherwise.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
HiDive seems like they will also stream the Squid Girl OVAs starting May 3rd.
Hopefully they will add other OVAs like the Monster Musume ones, since they were in the home video.
Edit: Also would like to see the DanMachi OVA as well.

Last edited by LegitPancake on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Would be excited for this but then I remember how Sentai handled the 2005 show (51 episodes with only 26 released and in a single STACKpak case) and I'm just scratching my head going "Huh, why?".

If this version gets a disc release then I guess that's good since there was a Blu-ray Box released last year and with this show being much shorter, it would probably get a cheap 3-disc release.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I wish somebody would release the second half of Glass Mask on DVD. I only have the first half.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Don't watch this version. It's really bad. The 2005 anime is much better by a long shot. I'm dead serious.

Having watched the 2005 version (which was fairly accurate to the manga and a good time all around), I'm morbidly curious to see the '84 version now. Laughing

Last edited by whiskeyii on Wed May 02, 2018 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

The Little Mermaid, Swan Lake, Earl and Fairy, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, The Little Prince, are at the door and would like a word with you. Smile

As for the show itself, OMG! I don't care whether it's a trainwreck or not. This is my shite and there is always so comparatively little of it on this side of the pond. Forward ho!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:09 am Reply with quote
Dude, talk about kicking it old-school.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:48 am Reply with quote
Well... I'll be trying to watch this. Even if it's bad, as a huge fan of Glass Mask, I'll figure out some sort of way to watch and support this. Although it does also frustrate me that Sentai seems to be taking another chance on Glass Mask, but has yet to release the 2nd half of the 2005 anime on DVD because of poor sales with the first one. So I doubt, even if I do like this, this will not come out on any sort of home video and would just be a stream-only thing.
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Having seen all 3 anime adaptations, I'm not sure what's so worse about this than the others? Yeah, it sucks that the show got cancelled and had to end on a recap episode, but the episode before that is a decent stopping point so...*shrug*.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Having seen all 3 anime adaptations, I'm not sure what's so worse about this than the others?

I can name a bunch of things.

1. I know old school shoujo series can be melodramatic at times, but the 1984 anime amps it up to eleven, with non-stop drama going on for episodes at a time, driving from one disaster to another, and the show makes absolutely no attempt to...y'know, develop the characters, show what their lives are outside of their dreams and ambitions, or have any lighthearted moments. It doesn't help that if someone makes so much as a snide remark, everybody acts like the pope got pregnant.

2. In this version, Maya is portrayed as nothing more than an overacting teenager with no sense of subtlety, yet she's endlessly praised by everyone and is basically a Mary Sue with way too little experience to make any kind of impact. Also, her boyfriend straight up appears out of nowhere with absolutely no introduction, no build-up, nada.

3. Maya's seiyuu at the time, Masako Katsuki, couldn't act to save her life, which is really jarring since Glass Mask is about the rise of a talented actress, and was woefully miscast.

From what I hear, the second half of the anime tries to fix all of these flaws, but I wouldn't want to sit through a terrible first half of an anime just to see the good parts. Seriously, the 1990s OVA and the 2005 series are so much better.
Sensei Terry Silver

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Surprising to see HiDive / Sentai taking a chance on the 1984 version as they never released the second half of the 2005 release. I absolutely loved Glass Mask and bought the first half to encourage the release of the second part - never happened. To be fair, I have watched the second half on Crunchyroll several years ago and I remember enjoying the first half much more.

Still, I'm a sucker for classic melodramatic shoujo.....1984 Glass Mask worth watching?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1