• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Things You Might Not Know About Naruto's Masashi Kishimoto

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seltzermx

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Interesting facts. Net worth seems a bit low considering how long/popular the manga was, the anime, movies, games, etc.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
The only ones I didn't was the second and third one
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
seltzermx wrote:
Net worth seems a bit low considering how long/popular the manga was, the anime, movies, games, etc.

It certainly seems like it should be much higher than that.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
seltzermx wrote:
Net worth seems a bit low considering how long/popular the manga was, the anime, movies, games, etc.

It certainly seems like it should be much higher than that.

For better or worse, most of the money made on Naruto pretty much goes straight to Shueisha. Aside from a fixed per-page salary, most of his income on the franchise would have came from royalties and I think roughly 10% of individual volume sales (that last number is from something I'd heard a while back so I have no idea if the percentage is still the same or not).
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I should be ashamed of myself. I knew all of these.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I swear, O-parts Hunter will get an anime any day now. Aaaaany day now.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised at the amount of sheer trolling in this week's poll.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:15 pm Reply with quote
It somehow doesn't shock me that Kishimoto has a 5-year-old's attitude towards kissing. Razz
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why but I find it adorable that he's embarrassed by kissing. Not everyone is cool and composed when it comes to romance, nor can everyone write it well. Which, when looking at the series itself, makes perfect sense. Considering this is a shonen series through and through, the romance could've been done a lot worse

(Looks to Goku and Chi-Chi)
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Kishi's a giant mecha dork in general. There's some Jeeg and Gaiking references scattered about too, not to mention Mecha-Naruto in general.

Wonder if he'd ever try a mecha manga. Some of his designs fit right in.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:43 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
I swear, O-parts Hunter will get an anime any day now. Aaaaany day now.

i'm afraid the chances that the works for kishimoto's brother getting an anime version will never come!

the only way i can think of that possibility coming to pass is that if any of his works get published by weekly shonen jump just like his brother and becomes popular enough to warrant an anime version!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
perroloco

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
Lol c'mon I am not the biggest Naruto fan and I knew all of them AND Kishimoto's Worth is totally wrong.

Take a look at this article:
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2010-12-22/magazine/one-piece-creator-oda-made-2-billion-yen

It has pretty much been said as gosspel that a manga author gets 10% of the tankobon sales (That's what the article above takes as what Eiichiro Oda makes in One Piece, but probably he makes more than a 10% cut by now, I would hope haha).

That's how mangaka make most of their profits since whatever comission they earn for drawing for its manga's serialization is pretty much spent on paying assitants.

The rates at which mangaka are paid by page vary from mangaka to mangaka, Kishimoto was very likely paid a waaaaay higher fee than an amateur mangaka.

Amateur mangakas are said to be paid around $80-100 per page.
Check this article for evidence (From an actual mangaka who revealed his salary):
http://fightingfornippon.com/how-mangaka-get-paid-for-their-series-royalties-for-anime/

If you aren't bothered to read a very interesting article, I will tell you the tl,dr version.
When this guy was an amateur he received around $100 per page, after 11 years and some hits under his belt he got it to around $350 per page.
So.. If this guy got paid 3.5x what he got paid after having a hit manga, how much of an increase do you think guys like Kishimoto, Oda or Kubo would get, I wouldn't be surprised if they are paid 5x what rookies were paid, after all they are what most people were buying WSJ for.

Now, according to Wikipedia Naruto has sold 220million copies, I'm guessing worldwide, I won't even bother to check if its worldwide or Japan only, as my point is that even if it were only Japanese sales the minimum Kishimoto has made from Naruto is in the 80 million USD mark.

Each volume is sold at 440 Yen, 10% of that goes to Kishimoto, so..

220million x 40 (Yen)= 8'800,000,000 Yen or 80,790,979.51983 USD

That's what he has gotten from the manga alone, I'm not even talking about the anime broadcast rights, anime sales, video game sales, figure and other merchandising!
Which could very well, have earned Kishimoto as much if not more money by itself than the manga.

BTW an author is estimated to make $3,000 per anime episode (in royalties) and $10,000 per movie (in royalties) plus I have heard a 1.7% of royalties for whatever the anime or movie DVD/BDs sales make.
http://www.millenniumforums.com/archive/index.php/t-2973.html

IIRC Naruto had like 200 episodes, and Shippuden had like 500 episodes, so 700 episodes x $3,000.. So the Naruto anime made Kishimoto $2'100,000 JUST from the upfront fees, not counting sales.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2010-12-22/magazine/one-piece-creator-oda-made-2-billion-yen
http://fightingfornippon.com/how-mangaka-get-paid-for-their-series-royalties-for-anime/
http://www.millenniumforums.com/archive/index.php/t-2973.html
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:

It's positively restrained compared to the last time they tried running it, at least for now. (The last winner was "A dead mouse".) I can't say for sure, but I think that last poll came before the war wounds from the US-made Dragonball movie had the chance to heal up for everyone. Possibly. At least it was on everyone's minds, I think it's safe to say.

I'm curious if the rerun of said poll is the reason why we get the same list that came with it too.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Odd future at #1! People know the best OP. Black Rover is also a close second.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:

I'm more concerned about how many of the serious entries are for late teens/early 20s rather than a more age-appropriate early teen. I wrote in for Philip Zhao from Ready Player One, he seems to have the right age and look and they could probably get a few movies out of him.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2