• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Discotek's Lupin III: The Legend of the Gold of Babylon Release Will Have New English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I’m happy to see another Lupin dub with that cast, but that movie is pretty terrible, so I’m torn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I think Discotek have reached that stage where they're confident but very cautious about doing a dub.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the movie, but if is bad I'd still support it just for an off chance that we may get dubs of other Lupin III movies, or even wishful thinking, Part 1 and such.
uguu

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Don't listen to Penguintruth, the dude hates a lot of good things. Pink jacket is extremely underrated and this movie has some great stuff in it, Yuzo Aoki is a genius.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
uguu wrote:
Pink jacket is extremely underrated

This, if this ends up being a test for a possible Part III dub then I'm all for it but I'll be buying this movie regardless and maybe watch in both ways (sub first and dub after).

With that said, the wait for a Goemon movie announcement continues...
CosmicCortex

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad that this means they're keeping the Part IV cast moving forward, because I quite enjoyed the Part IV dub and it's about time we get a consistent cast.
A-Log

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I agree with my buddy NJ: if this sells well, we might get dubs of the other Lupin III specials; maybe, we'll possibly get the dub for Part III. The animation style's wacky enough; why not the voice cast?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:09 am Reply with quote
I'd rather see English dubs for stuff like Episode 0: First Contact and Alcatraz Connection. I'd double dip for those on Blu-Ray with dubs.

But at least with Gold of Babylon dubbed it'll be easier to do a video review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
Not my favourite Lupin flick but I'm always happy with this dub cast.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
uguu wrote:
Don't listen to Penguintruth, the dude hates a lot of good things. Pink jacket is extremely underrated and this movie has some great stuff in it, Yuzo Aoki is a genius.

Well, to be fair, I'm split on the animation myself.
I think the character designs are TERRIBLE but the animation itself is actually pretty good.
The story's also decent. Not the best Lupin but far from being the worst and worst is BORING which this film isn't.

Restored Blu ray with the English cast I like? I'm getting it!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
CosmicCortex wrote:
I'm just glad that this means they're keeping the Part IV cast moving forward, because I quite enjoyed the Part IV dub and it's about time we get a consistent cast.

The Lupin III Pt 4 cast IS the Pioneer/Geneon Lupin III cast (with the exception of Zenigata who was recast I think)!

They started voicing these characters at least 15 years ago! Most of the Pioneer cast returned in Lupin III/Pt 4.

I think only the classic Japanese cast has voiced the Lupin characters longer. The "classic Japanese" cast has all retired or died within the last 10 years. Some of the classic cast voiced their characters for over 30 years literally only being "retired" after they died in real life.
CosmicCortex

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:13 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
CosmicCortex wrote:

The Lupin III Pt 4 cast IS the Pioneer/Geneon Lupin III cast (with the exception of Zenigata who was recast I think)!

They started voicing these characters at least 15 years ago! Most of the Pioneer cast returned in Lupin III/Pt 4.

I think only the classic Japanese cast has voiced the Lupin characters longer. The "classic Japanese" cast has all retired or died within the last 10 years. Some of the classic cast voiced their characters for over 30 years literally only being "retired" after they died in real life.

I'm aware of all this, thanks. I guess I should say I'm happy that they're staying the definitive English cast this time.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:03 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, more dubbed Lupin! : D

GeorgeC wrote:

That's correct. Doug Erholtz voices him now.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:46 am Reply with quote
I know this is the regular cast, at least for the LA dub, but I honestly would of liked to have seen a return from the Jigen Gravestone cast. I know they will likely return if they dub Goemon's Bloodspray. I preferred Keith Silverstein over Tony Oliver, Tony sounds to high pitched to me, and as much as I like Richard Epcar, even as Jigen, Dan Worens deeper voice suited him better, at lease for a less comedic entry.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:02 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I know this is the regular cast, at least for the LA dub, but I honestly would of liked to have seen a return from the Jigen Gravestone cast. I know they will likely return if they dub Goemon's Bloodspray. I preferred Keith Silverstein over Tony Oliver, Tony sounds to high pitched to me, and as much as I like Richard Epcar, even as Jigen, Dan Worens deeper voice suited him better, at lease for a less comedic entry.

Ugh. Most of the Jigen's Gravestone English dub cast sounded like they didn't give a single damn about their performances. Christina Vee and Taylor Henry were doing all the work. To even compare them to the Part II/Part IV cast is baffling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2