• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hiro Mashima's New Manga Gets Tentative Title, Simultaneous Release in 5 Languages

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
It looks like Grey and Juvia are going to have their own adventures now.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news! Pretty excited for this!
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
........ He really couldn't give the MC a different haircut?
Shinuki

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
If Mashima will be as lazy and uninspired with the story as he was with the main boy and girl designs....Fairy Tail 2.0 here we go! we already have a Natsu and Grey hybrid and a Lucy clone Laughing
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:
If Mashima will be as lazy and uninspired with the story as he was with the main boy and girl designs....Fairy Tail 2.0 here we go! we already have a Natsu and Grey hybrid and a Lucy clone Laughing

I see a lot of people complain about similar character designs but that makes no sense considering that's just how he draws and fairy tail characters looked exactly like the Rave masters characters. Its his style and it would be dumb and pretty hard to change it.
Darklordmyke

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a combination of Gray and Haru Glory. I am looking forward to this new serialization and am happy it's a simulpub!
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, nice with the simulpub releases. But I too am not happy with the looks of these characters. That just looks like a black-haired Natsu, while the teased girl is like a trim-and-proper Lucy.

I can understand to a degree of Mashima having his own artist style, but he can't always used the same exact template. He needs to make a new design that works for him and us. Not copy and pasting.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
Looks like a Haru/Natsu-based character design Gajeel-style hair.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:06 am Reply with quote
I understand people would say that it's his style, to which I partly agree. But I think the 'blame' is more on the shounen archetype of shounen main characters he decided to stick to (having heard stories like editor or author of shounen manga would want to play it safe by having such main characters). And that's just his interpretation if this range-limiting archetype. Even just seen from the look alone, I doubt there'll be more characterization for them than most of Jump's shounen adventure's MCs.
CyberLance

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:26 am Reply with quote
When Akira Toriyama draws characters for things like Chrono Trigger, the Dragon Quest games, Blue Dragon and other stuff the characters always look very similar to Goku, Trunks, Bulma, Android 18 and other Dragon Ball characters because thats his style and how he likes to make his characters look.
Its the same with Hiro Mashima and other artists that they got a certain way they like to make there characters look so they will be similar in appearance.

Fairy Tail is my second favorite manga and anime ever and i also loved Rave Master so im really looking forward to Edens Zero and i hope it will get an anime fast.
Hiro Mashima is my favorite manga author and i love his style, his characters, his storys and how he does things most of the time.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
Hmm, since this is getting a simulpub, I hope this means I won't be waiting for too long to read a volume of the manga in print.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1