Forum - View topic
NEWS: [New Life+] Young Again in Another World Anime Cast Resigns After Creator's Apology for Contro


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cheynegreene



Joined: 05 Jun 2018
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
So is the anime cancelled or what?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
encrypted12345



Joined: 25 Jan 2012
Posts: 486
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think the staff is being silly, but it's their right to refuse to work for something that offends them I guess. Or more specifically, for a company to prevent its employees from working for something that delivers bad PR.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zoneflare



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Posts: 453
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
cheynegreene wrote:
So is the anime cancelled or what?

At this point it should be. Not the type of publicity you want for a product.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheynegreene



Joined: 05 Jun 2018
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
cheynegreene wrote:
So is the anime cancelled or what?

At this point it should be. Not the type of publicity you want for a product.


Aw, that's a shame. I was really hyped to watch this Anime cry


Last edited by cheynegreene on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ecchigas



Joined: 29 Nov 2017
Posts: 35
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
why does Chinese people have such big influence on anime production
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrono1000



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Posts: 981
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
That China was able to get an anime cancelled is not surprising since they have managed to get Hollywood to edit their movies but this is something I find very concerning. China can effectively veto any anime production that they dislike by creating an incident out of it. I mean it isn't like every anime needs to be Attack on Titan with rebels overthrowing an authoritarian government but the last thing we need is more pro-authoritarian communist propaganda.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chester McCool



Joined: 06 Jan 2016
Posts: 308
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
ecchigas wrote:
why does Chinese people have such big influence on anime production


China makes up the majority of Japan's overseas anime profits. It's the second most important anime market next to Japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whitestripe17



Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 8
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Could someone clarify whether the voice actors resigned because the author caved to the criticism or because they wanted to protest the author’s previous (anti korean/chinese) comments?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
14sick



Joined: 12 Jan 2014
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
That China was able to get an anime cancelled is not surprising since they have managed to get Hollywood to edit their movies but this is something I find very concerning. China can effectively veto any anime production that they dislike by creating an incident out of it. I mean it isn't like every anime needs to be Attack on Titan with rebels overthrowing an authoritarian government but the last thing we need is more pro-authoritarian communist propaganda.


You realize this isn't about run-of-the-mill crypto-racist tweets about Korean/Chinese immigrants in Japan committing crimes or something like that, right? The author has repeatedly tweeted that Chinese people are disgusting insects, and the novel literally states the protagonist killed 3,000 Chinese people with a katana during World War II, killed another 2,000 after it ended, and is proud of it.

While I doubt the Chinese government would be happy about this, I've heard nothing to indicate they've even taken notice. Japanese people are quite capable of realizing that this guy is a racist nutcase on their own.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
luisedgarf



Joined: 02 Oct 2004
Posts: 369
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
whitestripe17 wrote:
Could someone clarify whether the voice actors resigned because the author caved to the criticism or because they wanted to protest the author’s previous (anti korean/chinese) comments?


Likely both.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 4179
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:29 pm Reply with quote
^ 14sick is correct.

The Chinese people complained that the anime is even happening because the MC is specifically stated to have killed thousands of Chinese people, as an accomplishment. That alone wouldn't have done this to the show. His previous tweets were then brought to light and those tweets are blatantly racist. He should've deleted them the minute he found out he was getting an anime. Considering Megumi Nakajima is half-Filipino, I wouldn't be surprised if she asked to pull out. Smart move from the agencies or whatever/whoever made the decisions to detach their people from this anime. No one wants to associate with a racist besides other racists.

and lol @ the thought that people would've pulled out because the author "caved to criticism". "Criticism" this was not. It was a response to the FACT that he tweeted racist trash. And people need to not sugar coat this. His comments were not merely "anti-korean/chinese". They were RACIST. Don't be afraid to use the word when it's accurate.

Going back further to @Chrono1000's comment...Lol? China didn't "veto" this anime. Agencies probably just don't want to associate with racism. And it has nothing to do with whether they "Dislike" anything. And don't even start with the misleading statement of "pro-authoritarian communist propaganda". Stating communism is pro-authoritarian is a propagandous statement to begin with. Authoritarianism can happen in either left or right side of politics. People hating racism is not "pro-authoritarian" nor is it "communist".

@encrypted12345 as I stated earlier in this post, this isn't about being "offended". It's about being racist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith



Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 1279
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
14sick wrote:
Japanese people are quite capable of realizing that this guy is a racist nutcase on their own.


I don't think you understand just how common the Japanese/Chinese/Korean dislike is between the three cultures. The individual who originally complained about the series was Chinese. Nothing would have happened if it was just Japanese people aware of the series or tweets. After all, the series has been going on for four years without any hiccups and it wasn't until the anime was set to premier did it catch the attention of Chinese people and thus led to these complaints. I would say it's safe to assume most Japanese don't care about if it's offensive to Chinese people.

-Stuart Smith
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrono1000



Joined: 05 Oct 2013
Posts: 981
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:41 pm Reply with quote
14sick wrote:
While I doubt the Chinese government would be happy about this, I've heard nothing to indicate they've even taken notice. Japanese people are quite capable of realizing that this guy is a racist nutcase on their own.
Not to sound cynical but in a communist government anything that looks like a citizen led movement is usually controlled by the government. We have already seen China change Hollywood movies such as Red Dawn and there are posters mentioning that Chinese companies started threatening to boycott companies that were involved with the anime. That was a lot of things coming together very quickly and it will be curious to see how often this happens in the future.

Kougeru wrote:
And don't even start with the misleading statement of "pro-authoritarian communist propaganda". Stating communism is pro-authoritarian is a propagandous statement to begin with.
Communist governments are always authoritarian.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FilthyCasual



Joined: 01 Jun 2015
Posts: 1175
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Damn, this is the fastest I've ever seen people turn on an anime before. This is like Girlish Number on steroids.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LegitPancake



Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 478
Location: Texas, USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
14sick wrote:
You realize this isn't about run-of-the-mill crypto-racist tweets about Korean/Chinese immigrants in Japan committing crimes or something like that, right? The author has repeatedly tweeted that Chinese people are disgusting insects, and the novel literally states the protagonist killed 3,000 Chinese people with a katana during World War II, killed another 2,000 after it ended, and is proud of it.

You're actually wrong in that regard. If you actually read the novel, it is very ambiguous who he killed, as it said he joined a Chinese mafia, and it never explicitly stated World War II.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group