• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Rowdy Rogues' Gallery of Golden Kamuy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HolyR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Fun discussion! I wasn't super keen on Tsurumi and his gang as well, but the manga does eventually develop all of them and he's now my fav character.

I echo the sentiments that anyone even mildly interested in this show should try the manga. It is great. I think the show manages to capture the tone of the manga well enough, which is awesome, but the direction and animation are rough. Also they cut out a lot of scenes (including important backstory for Sugimoto!)
alconnow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
HolyR wrote:
Also they cut out a lot of scenes (including important backstory for Sugimoto!)

Exactly my thoughts! I know there’s an episode left but looks like Sugimoto’s backstory won’t be introduced (judging from the title)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
At first I didn't recognize Luke Skywalker, it just looked like a man being strangled to death with some cables that you see in the background.

Then it dawned on me, when I read the entries.

Additional: What have the done with Aspira. I can see that the character designs can turn pretty crappy. The manga is pretty good. Another anime that has failed it's manga art wise.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
At first I didn't recognize Luke Skywalker, it just looked like a man being strangled to death with some cables that you see in the background.

Then it dawned on me, when I read the entries.

Additional: What have the done with Aspira. I can see that the character designs can turn pretty crappy. The manga is pretty good. Another anime that has failed it's manga art wise.

To be fair, those seem to mainly be trying to replicate the comedy faces that populate the manga.

As for the discussion of "tropes," can you really call historical references a trope? I don't see how having a Jerry Brudos reference is all that different from the Edward Gein reference the other side picked up, the shall we say interesting character based on the founder of the boy scouts that shows up later, or Oda Nobunaga showing up in pretty much everything (he's actually right behind you at this very moment). Getting offended at this is a bit like taking the old number-tattoo-means-Shoah-survivor bit as an insult against tattoos.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:26 am Reply with quote
Can we talk about how this story is a Western set in Hokkaido? I feel like I don't know enough Western tropes to make specific connections, but I can tell it's playing with those tropes.

Where's the Asirpa love? I know she hasn't been the driver of that much action lately, but she's still my favorite.

Scalfin wrote:

As for the discussion of "tropes," can you really call historical references a trope? I don't see how having a Jerry Brudos reference is all that different from the Edward Gein reference the other side picked up, the shall we say interesting character based on the founder of the boy scouts that shows up later, or Oda Nobunaga showing up in pretty much everything (he's actually right behind you at this very moment). Getting offended at this is a bit like taking the old number-tattoo-means-Shoah-survivor bit as an insult against tattoos.

Uh, what?
I'd say that historical references are tropes when they are purposefully anachronistic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1