• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses 1987 Anime Zillion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Bandsaw Vigilante

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Aw, sweet. Didn't even see this one coming, but grabbing this right on day one. The two Sega Master System games got so much play in my house back in the late '80s when I was in grade school.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:20 pm Reply with quote
This seems like an unusual move for Funi, especially considering the title's age. Would have assumed Sentai would have picked up something this this, especially as they've released a number of Tatsunoko's older titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
A classic anime release from... who? Funimation?! *does a double take*

Not that I'm complaining. Keep the classics coming, anime and manga licensors Very Happy
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Zillions? Wait a minute...There are laser guns called Bazillions in Bayonetta, a game published by Sega. Man, just when I think I've learned about every reference or hidden tidbit in that game, there's always something else.
squirrelmecha-2.0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Bet the Michael Jackson & Janet Jackson fans are happy
BirdyTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Jeff Gerstmann will be happy to hear this news. He was just talking about it to Crunchyroll employees last Friday haha.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes.

Good.

Very, very interesting we're seeing classic licenses from everybody now. And not just old license rescues.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind seeing a changing trend and getting some more 80s scifi and mecha! Sure, I typically assume Discotek is gonna get most of it (although Sentai/Maiden Japan or whatever DID snag VOTOMs), but I can go for it from whomever.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
squirrelmecha-2.0 wrote:
Bet the Michael Jackson & Janet Jackson fans are happy

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the real reason why the anime got licensed.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Heck yes,
I'm on board for this!

They had actually advertised Zillion for re-release on laserdisc but like many Streamline Pictures plans for LDs in the mid-1990s, it never materialized and they eventually lost the license.
Zillion struck me as a series with high-production values. I wish I could have seen more of the episodes!
They almost did more of the anime series but Sega's plans changed after they transitioned from the Sega Master System to the Sega Genesis and their emphasis changed to things like Sonic the Hedgehog. Zillion is basically a footnote in Sega's history.

The reason why Streamline didn't release past the 6 installments is because in the early 1990s it was considered suicide to release "long" shows on VHS seeing as you reasonably could not do much more than 3 episodes, 4 episodes tops on a tape and make money. (I think Streamline actually did 1 episode a tape or never more than 2 per tape for Zillion to my knowledge... I don't remember. Zillion: Burning Night was released on its own tape. I know they did something like only 4-5 episodes of Nadia, too. They also dubbed the original 4-volume 3X3 Eyes anime series.) That's why Streamline stuck to mainly doing adaptations of movies and OVAs like Vampire Hunter D.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Surprised it wasn't mentioned that Production I.G was born from Zillion.

Good to see it re-released, though, given its significance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the green death

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
The Bandsaw Vigilante wrote:
Aw, sweet. Didn't even see this one coming, but grabbing this right on day one. The two Sega Master System games got so much play in my house back in the late '80s when I was in grade school.

YeH I loved those games!

This announcement is a fun surprise! I don’t really buy discs anymore but if it doesn’t hit crunchy I’ll be tempted with this one.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching this show when it was airing in Japan. Might have to pick this release up just for the nostalgia.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
One of my first anime VHS was the first few episodes of this. I don't remember much about it other than that the 5-7 year old me really enjoyed it. I'll definitely check it out, since I lost said VHS.
Bamble

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Another classic anime must-buy, and although it's unsurprisingly being released sub-only, I wonder if the dub for the first five episodes will be preserved or if it's off-limits as has happened with previous Streamline dubs.

Also, it'll be interesting to see if Funi secured Burning Night or Emi Penguin's Diary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3