• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds The Slayers, Shakugan no Shana Movie, More

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
It’s cool another generation can be introduced to Slayers. It’s one of my old favorites. I’ve had FUNi’s 12-disc seasons 1-3 set for nine years, and have watched through the first two seasons numerous times, but I still can’t bring myself to finish TRY. I wish someone would rescue the movies/OVAs and give them a better release. ADV’s 2003/2004 DVDs have not aged well, if they even looked good in the first place (some are non-anamorphic letterbox).
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Not just ANY Slayers...THE Slayers!

...seriously though it seems to be a periodic thing that I see it rendered this way and wonder if there was a The in front of it all along, and see it gets used sometimes and other times not. Questioning my sanity all the while.

Seconding the wish for a movie/OVA re-release - there was a Blu-ray box for those in Japan a while back and everything, so I wonder what the deal is.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:06 pm Reply with quote
We also need a home video release of the Slayers TV series since the DVDs are OOP. Funimation must still have the rights if it's streaming on Crunchyroll, so I'm not sure why they haven't re-released it or put out a BluRay set.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I hope they get Slayers NEXT....uh, next.

A bit redundant though since the whole series is up on Funimations youtube channel for free. All seasons last I checked.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:09 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Not just ANY Slayers...THE Slayers!

...seriously though it seems to be a periodic thing that I see it rendered this way and wonder if there was a The in front of it all along, and see it gets used sometimes and other times not. Questioning my sanity all the while.

Thanks CPM (originally started there) Laughing

Quote:
Seconding the wish for a movie/OVA re-release - there was a Blu-ray box for those in Japan a while back and everything, so I wonder what the deal is.

Different licensors, they got the show from Enoki Films while the movies & OVAs are believed to be by Kadokawa...which is a bit surprising that they never got picked them up with the rest of the packaged Kadokawa titles from a while back.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
We also need a home video release of the Slayers TV series since the DVDs are OOP. Funimation must still have the rights if it's streaming on Crunchyroll, so I'm not sure why they haven't re-released it or put out a BluRay set.

No Blu-ray for the series in Japan plus the DVD masters look awful everywhere it has been released (including Japan) and as seen with Spain's recent Blu-ray, upscaling all 3 seasons from their SD source is a bad idea.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I'm guessing they've reached the point where they still have the rights, but feel that putting out a new physical release won't be profitable enough to recover expenses.The 2009 Slayers/Next/Try DVD "brick" was already dirt-cheap, so they probably can't attract new buyers (who don't already have the CPM VHS/DVD releases, the Funi single-season sets, or the Big Brick) with a lower price point. After 9 years of advances in technology, a show of Slayers' visual pedigree -- which was never too fine to begin with, even in the 90s/00s -- is going to look even less appealing on people's displays than it did when the brick came out.

But as long as Funi has the rights, they figure they can still squeeze a bit of revenue out via streaming, especially if people are streaming on smaller devices where the lesser visual quality isn't as noticeable. Putting out new DVDs might cancel out that revenue and turn a winner (if it ever was one) into a loser.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote
Personally I would love to own a new Slayers release in better DVD packaging.
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
Personally I would love to own a new Slayers release in better DVD packaging.

I'd just like a remaster, all releases might as well be VHS Laughing But I've kinda given up on hope of that happening. They would've done it by now to be released after the movies/OVAs blu-ray, they must have lost or damaged masters I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
own the 3 original TV series on DVD from Funimation, and got the recently re-released Slayers Re-Evolution on Blu-ray to upgrade out of my DVD versions of Evolution and Revolution. Own the movies too and the ovas, Im such a big fan of Slayers.

I tried watching the Movies by CPM a while back, and my gosh, the picture is rather bad on them. I really want a Blu-ray release of all of the slayers anime content. The DVDs are rather outdated by todays standards, and after the Record of Lodoss War Re-release Funimation did a while back, which makes that anime look stunningly crisp, i'm hoping eventually we get a new release of all the slayers anime.

Really would like to go back and watch it.
wccw2399

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
why can't we get dub and sub for these series though? for all of the series?
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
#886211 wrote:
I tried watching the Movies by CPM a while back, and my gosh, the picture is rather bad on them.

That wasn't CPM, that was ADV. Remember they didn't use "The" on the Slayers title. Laughing

Yeah, those DVDs really don't hold up well video-wise and we need those Blu-ray masters here and hopefully with ADV's extras for movies 1, 5 and both OVAs.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The package for FUNi's Season 1-3 set was pretty terrible. It's like a digipack, but as a book, meaning there are six "pages" of hard plastic (almost glass) holding the discs in. Mine's cracked some. But it was 78 episodes for less than $50, so I can't complain. You can still buy it from Amazon for $37. They didn't keep CPM's extras like voice actor interviews, but there are some small bonus features, like scenes from episode 1 in many, many language options (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, etc).
The video quality sucks, and is not any better than CPM's discs from 2000 and 2001. It really is like popping in a VHS tape. This was also back when FUNi was still doing alternate angles for openings and closings, and the English sequences looked extremely dark (at least for season 1), and episode 26 is missing an epilogue scene in the dub, along with all 77 next episode previews. They're all still intact if you select Japanese though, and TRY even has English voiceover for the previews, but only accessible if you select Japanese, and switch the audio manually.
Dardre

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:35 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
#886211 wrote:
I tried watching the Movies by CPM a while back, and my gosh, the picture is rather bad on them.

That wasn't CPM, that was ADV. Remember they didn't use "The" on the Slayers title. Laughing

Yeah, those DVDs really don't hold up well video-wise and we need those Blu-ray masters here and hopefully with ADV's extras for movies 1, 5 and both OVAs.

It wasn't that they didn't, so much as they couldn't. CPM had the trademark for "The Slayers", so ADV used "Slayers" in a different font.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The video quality sucks, and is not any better than CPM's discs from 2000 and 2001. It really is like popping in a VHS tape.

The FUNimation DVD's have better video. However thats not saying much, only slightly better. They all look bad, even the Japanese release. It needs an actual remaster but doesn't look like that will happen.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The package for FUNi's Season 1-3 set was pretty terrible. It's like a digipack, but as a book, meaning there are six "pages" of hard plastic (almost glass) holding the discs in. Mine's cracked some. But it was 78 episodes for less than $50, so I can't complain.

It's similar to Viz's releases of Bleach (original sets 1-3) and Buso Renkin except the "pages" hold two discs in each instead of one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2