• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 More Bizarre Spin-Offs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the new poll, some of those "villians" were not villians for long (e.g., Fate Testarossa), so it feels a bit like rigging the poll to have them included.

As for the old poll, the people that put Yuno Gasai at #1 but Roberta from Black Lagoon at #6 are probably the ones that saw only the series, not the Roberta's Blood Trail OVA.
Soval

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
School Days had a manga spin-off called Cross Days, in which the main character winds up posing as a girl in order to attract Makoto away from Kotonoha so that he can date her instead.

Eva had the manga Angelic days, which was another rom-com take on the eva universe. It recasts Asuka as his doting, tsundere childhood friend and Rei as the energetic new-girl-in-town competing with her for Shinji's affections.

Both Nadesico and Genshiken spawned OVAs based on their respective in universe anime series.

Sasami from Tenchi Muyo got both the Pretty Sammy OVA and TV series, and the unrelated Sassami: Magical Girl's Club series as a magical girl.
HannoX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree with TheAncientOne that you need to see Roberta's Blood Trail to realize just how deadly and scary she can be.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Despite the yucky lolicon aspect, I remain hooked/intrigued by Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya, and Attack on Titan: Junior High is a really fun spin-off to watch to relieve the tension of the original.

I read through the first several volumes of Shinji Ikari Raising Project before giving up on it, because despite how beautiful it looks on the surface, within the pages is nothing but trash. 95% of the time of each individual volume (not joking) it's just tasteless fanservice and Shinji accidentally undressing someone, with very minimal plot, and somehow it lasted nearly 20 volumes. I remember when ADV manga released Angelic Days, its premise also based on that segment in the last episode of the Eva anime, and popular consensus dictated it was terrible due to its rough artwork. Contrary to Raising Project, beneath the rough surface of Angelic Days is a substantial story with a beginning, middle, and end, it is both charming/intriguing to see alternate versions of the characters where their lives weren't messed up, and it had a beautifully satisfying conclusion. It's my sincerest hope that Angelic Days gets license-rescued, and people can give it another chance and see how superior it is to Raising Project.

Also, Legend of the Piko-Piko Middle School Students really is funny as hell in cleverly shameless ways.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Illya to me is the most bizarre.

Is Lucy from Fairy Tail really that scary when she's mad?
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Yeah, Illya to me is the most bizarre.

Is Lucy from Fairy Tail really that scary when she's mad?

Thats Lucy from Elfen Lied not Lucy from Fairy Tail. The only Fairy Tail character on there was Erza, who I certainly don't wanna piss off.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Is really fun to see anime that ANN call "Bizarre Spin-Offs" turns out to be multi season popular anime and also with anime movies
Nanoha in the 2013 article and Prisma Illya in this article.
Bizarre, i don't think so, but they are very successful,

Prisma Illya is the only one i watch from this article and gets better and better as seasons go by.

About the old poll.
Quote:
One who is darker than twilight
One who is redder than flowing blood
Buried in the flow of time
In thy great name,
I hereby pledge myself to darkness
Those who stand before us in our way
All those who have become fools
Merge thy power and mine
To grant destruction equally to all!!
DRAGON SLAVE!
(Direct translation from Kanji)

I don't want to make this one mad!!
Ohiotaku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I found Adventures of the Mini Goddess (a spoof of Ah My Goddess) to be enjoyable. I especially like how Bell-chan is portrayed as a lovable airhead & Keichi has been replaced as the male lead by a talking rat Laughing And of course Urd is the star of the show

EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I had to look up the old article to see whether even THAT one remembered the Minky Momo "Bridge of Tomorrow" OVA--
Where she doesn't use her powers, doesn't have her sidekicks, doesn't quite seem to have the same connection to her series self except for being cute/optimistic, and just sits and watches the developing stories of passersby on the street while waiting for love to return...Um, okay?? Confused
Did we just fish some generic one-shot romance story out of the manga pile and put the character in?

And then...there was that Sailor Uranus & Neptune "spinoff" pilot from the Sailor Moon SuperS special:
Yes, we know why Ikuhara liked them, we know why their core fans liked them, and we know why he wanted that series so badly, but weren't we supposed to hate them on the original series, for being ruthless, arrogant, cold and pretentious?
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Sengoku Basara has some other bizarre spinoffs (the game itself being a bizarre spinoff of history...) - there's Gakuen Basara of course, Mini Basara (a SD spinoff of the Production IG anime), or for the recently finished Dokugan which is a random post-apocalyptic reimagination of the franchise (with an extra helping of fanservice for Masamune/Yukimura and Masamune/Kojuurou shippers).

Anyway, I can't imagine that Sentou Yousei Yukikaze - Tasukete! Mave-chan is not on the list. Yukikaze is an acclaimed sci-fi novel that was adapted into a similarly acclaimed (if heavily reworked) anime adaptation by Gonzo back in the day, a story about the boundaries between man and machine, and greed, alienation and loneliness... and apparently this was a perfect vehicle for a bright, cheery spinoff, where the main character is replaced with some otaku dude who finds himself in the world of the story where all the aircraft are... you'll never guess... cute girls.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fortunately, the show is funny enough to pull it off.
Obligatory reminder that Spoof on Titan was better and got robbed.

Also it's fascinating reading Prisma and seeing how it subverts some parts of Fate classic. Namely, that Gae Bolg is actually freakishly effective.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
HannoX wrote:
I agree with TheAncientOne that you need to see Roberta's Blood Trail to realize just how deadly and scary she can be.

While I also would agree, I would still have Lucy from Elfen Lied above her. Lucy could, and did, far more damage than Roberta could ever hope to do. I would even put Balalaika above Roberta simply because she is far more calculating. I think Balalaika could be every bit as ruthless if she were ever pushed to that same limit Roberta was, but given the fact she's also much more calculating and such a better tactician I'd be more afraid of her. Though Yuno should not be #1 or even close. Granted she might be the most mentally unstable of everyone on the list, but 1 on 1 most of the ladies on the poll would wipe the floor with her.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Doubt it'll ever get an anime, but the Kino's Journey high-school-rom-com-magical-girl-sci-fi-battle-spoof-spinoff Gauken Kino is still my favorite strange spin-off. It managed to make me more scared of Sigsawa than the original did.
Kuro shinigami

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Quote:
Fortunately, the show is funny enough to pull it off.
Obligatory reminder that Spoof on Titan was better and got robbed.

Also it's fascinating reading Prisma and seeing how it subverts some parts of Fate classic. Namely, that Gae Bolg is actually freakishly effective.
that's not called subverting since gae bolg always worked that way, it's just showing how it's supposed to normally work. And besides that fate/hollow ataraxia already showed how it works properly, and it predates prisma by 2 years. so it's not really subverting anything when it was done before.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:22 am Reply with quote
Ohiotaku wrote:
I found Adventures of the Mini Goddess (a spoof of Ah My Goddess) to be enjoyable. I especially like how Bell-chan is portrayed as a lovable airhead & Keichi has been replaced as the male lead by a talking rat Laughing And of course Urd is the star of the show

My own private title for this show is "Rat Abuse". Poor Gan-chan. And I still want to know what they saw when they probed Bell's dreams...

And I'm surprised no one's mentioned Petit Eva...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2