• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Even Boys Can Become Princesses!': Hugtto! Precure Anime Stands Up to Traditional Gender

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
You did it, Japan! Congratulations. Well done. You did good. I'm so proud of you.

Looking forward to everything going back to normal next week as if nothing happened.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Anri Wakamiya => Henri Wakamiya , as french i can't accept this error and as otokonoko lover this ep was fabulous ( like everything in Hugtto so far )

This episode was as good a message as Hourou Musuko was.
Nandemo dekiru! Nandemo nareru!
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Now that's pretty nice.

{Edit}: If you don't want the thread to go to hell don't leave a flamebait comment that only serves to poke at people to do just that. ~ Psycho 101

Last edited by Blatch on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see this as a stir considering otokonoko has been a thing in Japan for years. This is nothing like the KiraKira stir (which actually was a stir) because that one was about actually being a Precure.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
This episode was quite surprising, actually. In a good way - it shows an interesting clash between ideas of traditional japanese society and new one, something that you won't see even on Noitamina block.
Ethe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This is nothing like the KiraKira stir (which actually was a stir) because that one was about actually being a Precure.

Does that mean that blue haired guy from KiraKira was actually a Precure? I remember ANN writing an article about it and people complaining because apparently he wasn't actually a Precure but rather just a guy with powers, kinda like Kanata from Go! Princess or all the male villains.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Since the first season Precure has been more willing to talk about gender roles than most magical girl shows. I think Hugtto has managed to deliver the message in a way that feels educational though it is slightly amusing that the cheerleader themed Precure show has gone further with that message than any of the past seasons.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:
Does that mean that blue haired guy from KiraKira was actually a Precure? I remember ANN writing an article about it and people complaining because apparently he wasn't actually a Precure but rather just a guy with powers, kinda like Kanata from Go! Princess or all the male villains.

Kuroki Rio/Pikario wasn't a precure, simple rule, if a transformation doesn't have "Cure" as name it's not a precure, that's why characters like Shiny luminous aren't considered as Precure and why some like Cure Pekorin are
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I don't really see this as a stir considering otokonoko has been a thing in Japan for years. This is nothing like the KiraKira stir (which actually was a stir) because that one was about actually being a Precure.

The article is a bit misleading. The comment of "even boys can become princesses!" is about how Henry got held hostage by the monster of the week, thus putting him in the "damsel in distress" role. It had nothing to do with crossdressing or transgenderism or whatever the article was trying to imply. Henry just crossdressed to prove a point to the older brother, who didn't want his younger sister to play the electric guitar since he goes to a prestigious school and it would look bad for their family if his sister were to do that instead of something more traditional for girls like a violin which he wanted her to play instead. It was an extremely standard and harmless episode.

Last edited by Chester McCool on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Henry just crossdressed to prove a point to the older brother, who felt girls shouldn't do manly things like play electric guitar, since he wanted her to play the violin and be more classy instead.

Well, not exactly. Henri wears a girls' uniform at school too. He wears girls' clothes if he feels like it. That's his entire point: do whatever you want to do and don't limit yourself because of "standards".
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I agree that most important message from this episode is "children to be who they want to be, regardless of their gender or how other people may respond." and i mean from both roles,

Yes, even boys can be princesses, and girls be heroes and knights saving the boy princess from evil hands. Nothing wrong with it.

Also girls can be princesses and boys be heroes and knights saving the girls princess from evil. Also nothing wrong with it.

It all depends what role any boy or girl want to do. Let the children be the way they want without imposing adult values to them. If a girl want to be a princess, let her, If she want to be hero, let her. And the same for the boys.

I also agree with DmonHiro, Otokonoko and Tomboy is thing for ages in anime/manga.

An many manga and anime, is the girls that are stronger and save the boy. It just that maybe didn't come to all ages anime before. So it exchanging "traditional" gender roles is nothing new in Japan. But maybe in a all ages show, is.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
He isn't just proving to the big brother, Henri truly like being dress like a girl.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Well, not exactly. Henri wears a girls' uniform at school too. He wears girls' clothes if he feels like it. That's his entire point: do whatever you want to do and don't limit yourself because of "standards".

Yeah, but I was speaking from Emiru's role as the conflict of the episode. She just wants to play guitar instead of the violin. The title of the article makes it sounds like a clickbait piece on the episode being about a boy who wants to dress up as a princess or something.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Japan already has uniform for those who are trans in some schools for 2-3 years, I keep reading about more schools implementing them like every 2-4 months.
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Henry just crossdressed to prove a point to the older brother, who didn't want his younger sister to play the electric guitar since he goes to a prestigious school and it would look bad for their family if his sister were to do that instead of something more traditional for girls like a violin which he wanted her to play instead. It was an extremely standard and harmless episode.

You must be confused. It happens!

In EP19, her older brother didn't want her to participate in a modeling show that had the tagline "girls can become heroes" because he believed "hero" was a word that only men could use. Earlier in the episode, he also gave Henri a hard time, since his school uniform had elements of the girls uniform. Henri also wore the dress in the fashion show itself.

I'd advise paying closer attention to when you're watching Hugtto in the future, that way you won't make such obvious mistakes over the content of the episode under discussion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5