• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Perfect Blue Anime Film's U.S. Theatrical Rerelease Earns US$420,881

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giant_Robo_28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if GKids is releasing this on Blu-Ray? I missed these screenings cause I was sick, but I've love to get a new Blu-Ray of it!
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Giant_Robo_28 wrote:
Does anyone know if GKids is releasing this on Blu-Ray?

That would be really cool; a theatrical screening like this one would certainly get some support for a bluray release, but i remember there being some licensing issues preventing it being released before.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
US$420,881

If you may permit the observation, this figure quite neatly meets the criterion of being 'nice'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Bluray, please!
Xe4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to GKids! They do good work and I'm glad to see it paying off (literally in this case).

Hope they got the home video rights too, I'd love to own a Blu-Ray.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I got to go see it. Definitely as psychedelic as they come. I’ll admit, it was my first Satoshi Kon movie, but now I’m probably gonna go all in.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Giant_Robo_28 wrote:
Does anyone know if GKids is releasing this on Blu-Ray? I missed these screenings cause I was sick, but I've love to get a new Blu-Ray of it!

The new film print was allegedly created from a digital scan of the masterprint but I felt it STILL looked soft but that might have a deliberate art design choice.

It is a "dreamy" film so to have a "soft focus" wouldn't be out of the question.

Sometimes, though, these art choices work against films. The Mardock Scramble Trilogy, for instance, was created digitally but had a filter of film grain added to it to mimick the traditional film/grain look. I personally think they overdid the filter and it looks OVERLY grainly.

With Perfect Blue, I'm hoping we get a better Blu ray than Japan did. THey supposedly did produce a higher quality Blu ray for the Region B/UK market but it's unfortunately locked to European Blu ray players...
There were a decent number of people in the theater I saw it in -- maybe 40 total.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
The screening I went to was deserted which saddened me, since it's such a great movie. Maybe 7-10 people tops only. Crying or Very sad
ly000001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
US$420,881

If you may permit the observation, this figure quite neatly meets the criterion of being 'nice'.

Yes, if you adjust the 1999 box office figure for inflation, the above figure is still almost 2 1/2 times higher.
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I watched it in a theater in Northern Virginia. There were two showings scheduled on different days and the one I went to was listed as subtitled (which I wanted), but turned out to be the dub. Also, it looked like they didn't have the aspect ratio right. Seemed like a bit of the top and bottom of the image was cut off on screen. Overall, not a great theater experience for me, but I would absolutely buy a blu ray.
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Saw in nyc when it first came out. Would have liked to seen it again but could not because of work. A weekend show might have helped.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:48 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The screening I went to was deserted which saddened me, since it's such a great movie. Maybe 7-10 people tops only. Crying or Very sad

If it makes you feel better, mine in the metro Atlanta area easily had 100 for the subbed show. I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout.
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

Most anime showings around me don't have too many people but some have. Spirited Away and Panyo was almost a full house and Sailor Moon R the movie was sold out! Those were also shown on the weekend...which helps a lot compared to a Monday showing.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Fallenmessiahx wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Most anime showings around me don't have too many people but some have. Spirited Away and Panyo was almost a full house and Sailor Moon R the movie was sold out! Those were also shown on the weekend...which helps a lot compared to a Monday showing.

Around here, if they were Dragonball Z, Ghibli Films, or Sword Art Online movies they'd fill the theater out pretty good. I guess not as much people turn out for show with more depth. Well at least my father enjoyed the movie, which is surprising.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see it's doing well. I'm thinking a Blu-Ray release is forthcoming in the future, next year maybe. I wanted to go see this so badly but it was only showing at one theater about 15 - 20 miles away from me and I couldn't afford a rideshare.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2