• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: The Crew of Cowboy Bebop, 20 Years Later

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to know who's who, left-to-right, in the photo at the top of the article.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
"Hardrock Woman"? Have we been mis-translating "ラック" all these years as "Luck"? Shocked

Wish I'd have known they had this interview planned. I'd have asked them to ask about all the pool cue designers. Very Happy
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
"Hardrock Woman"? Have we been mis-translating "ラック" all these years as "Luck"? Shocked

Wish I'd have known they had this interview planned. I'd have asked them to ask about all the pool cue designers. Very Happy

Nah, it was just a typo. It's been fixed.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I'd love to know who's who, left-to-right, in the photo at the top of the article.

I don't know the first two westerners from left to right, but I can tell Japanese staffers though.
From third left to right: Kimitoshi Yamane, Toshihiro Kawamoto, Dai Sato, and Keiko Nobumoto

Man, looks like Toshihiro Kawamoto gained more weight though. I know he's a heavyset dude last time I saw him up close and in person, but it looks like he gained more weight .
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:01 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
invalidname wrote:

I don't know the first two westerners from left to right, but I can tell Japanese staffers though.
From third left to right: Kimitoshi Yamane, Toshihiro Kawamoto, Dai Sato, and Keiko Nobumoto

Four for four! Smile

According to the previous article that photo appeared in: Tara McKinney, Funimation's Senior Manager of Conventions, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, ADR Director and English voice of Julia, Steve Blum, English voice of Spike Spiegel, Kimitoshi Yamane, Mechanical Designer, Toshihiro Kawamoto, Character Designer and Animation Director, Dai Sato, Screenwriter, and Keiko Nobumoto, Screenwriter and Series Composer.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
So even the staff itself doesn't really know exactly how they made a masterpiece beyond "We wanting to make an anime for people like us." and "We work really well as team, collaborating our talents and bouncing ideas off each other." It truly was an act of sheer magic in way brought about by the right people at the right place at the right time.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:03 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Man, looks like Toshihiro Kawamoto gained more weight though. I know he's a heavyset dude last time I saw him up close and in person, but it looks like he gained more weight .

Wow, you're right. Either that or that shirt just makes him look really fat. Wink

Excellent article. I'm ashamed to admit I actually have not finished watching this series after all these years. Will need to get back to it sometime.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yeah, well, you see, I read the title of the article and thought it meant literally the crew of the Bebop, twenty years later. So, there would be a senile old cyborg in a wheelchair, a frumpy floozy drifting through her memories, a strange young... woman? ... who runs a corporation* that does no one is quite sure what, a little dog's grave, and a tall skeleton with a lot of hair.

*Perhaps Medical Mechanica.

Last edited by gridsleep on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm sort of glad these people get highlighted, people seem to forget that Watanabe wasn't the only person who had creative influence on this project.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Nah, it was just a typo. It's been fixed.

Yes, turns out it was 'Ruck,' as in 'ronery.'
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The very first time I was told about Cowboy Bebop was through my brother and I remember asking him if it had anything to do with Jamiroquai's Space Cowboy (was rather popular back then and it somehow made sense to me on a very superficial level). He almost punched me in indignation. I loved reading that it indeed played a small, small role in the name.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
It's great to get a bit more insight from Keiko Nobumoto, who wrote much of the main storyline of Cowboy Bebop, as well as Macross Plus and episodes of Space Dandy. I wasn't a Wolf's Rain fan, but I still think highly of her and think she should get more work.

It seems like the whole staff of CB has a great chemistry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:50 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's great to get a bit more insight from Keiko Nobumoto, who wrote much of the main storyline of Cowboy Bebop, as well as Macross Plus and episodes of Space Dandy. I wasn't a Wolf's Rain fan, but I still think highly of her and think she should get more work.
She also wrote the screenplay to Tokyo Godfathers. In an episode of Anime Abandon, the similarities were touched upon.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop has been such an influential anime that I'm not sure modern anime fandom would be the same without it. It always seems like true success is something that comes about naturally and not something manufacturely made. I can't remember when I first learned about Cowboy Bebop because it was such a long time ago. I think it was probably an anime forum and IRC chat room I used to go to in high school that no longer exists. Even now I still always recommend Cowboy Bebop as a must see classic for anyone who has an interest in anime. I also think it's great to hear more from the staff besides Watanabe and I find it interesting to learn about the creation of the title and the influences they were inspired by and what it could have ended up being. It's also great to hear about their favorite episodes and the staff all seems to be big Ed fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1