• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Made in Abyss

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
Oh yes, Made in Abyss, the best anime series from 2017. I am looking forward to its sequel, which I hope is another cour. And what pedophilia? I saw child abuse but never one of them being raped.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Oh yes, Made in Abyss, the best anime series from 2017. I am looking forward to its sequel, which I hope is another cour. And what pedophilia? I saw child abuse but never one of them being raped.

There are a few moments where the tone indicates that the mangaka has a bit of a loli / shouta thing going (being strung up naked in bondage for punishment, people trying to look / comment on Reg's penis, Riko wetting herself several times, and later in the manga spoiler[ there is a "toilet" with a tongue that licks Riko clean after going] - very minor spoiler) - he also seems to have piss kink and furry fetish going on. None of these things are PERVASIVE or even distracting from the amazing story and visuals, but they are sprinkled in and noticeably THERE if you are aware of them.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I’m guessing the alleged pedophilia moments are those instances where we see Riko nude or talk about Reg’s Little Buddy. I personally didn’t see some of these moments as the author “showing his pedophilia”, and more a way of showing these kids experiencing puberty. In a way Made in Abyss is a “coming of age” story for Riko and Reg. And whether we like it or not, to come of age means preteens (specifically Reg) finding out what it means to have sexual responses.

In addition, the fact she doesn’t see being naked around Reg as a problem and unabashedly checked his Little Reg in the first episodes reflects on Riko’s obliviousness and that she’s still too innocent to understand her actions.

The reactions to this somewhat similar to the reaction people has to Netflix’s show Big Mouth. Outsiders accuse the show of sexualizing children, while others point out the show is meant for adults and that it satirizes the awkwardness and surreality of puberty.

Though there is that scene where we see how they punish children in the orphanage by stringing them up naked. Yeah, that was weird. But it’s something I can brush off considering Riko and Reg go through much worse and very violent things. Compared to watching a spoiler[child have to break his own friend’s arm as she’s hallucinating and dying], seeing Riko naked doesn’t seem so horrifying in comparison.

But I wont deny that these moments can be uncomfortable and the manga has its sprinklings of the author’s preferences. The manga can go into some weird places.
pandoraking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I missed Gabri. Can we just get her back on seasonals? I still remember reading week after week her reviews on Junketsu no Maria & Rakugo, which made me treasure those even more.. the good ol'days
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
@jenthehen

I am aware of the mangaka's tendencies, but calling what happens in the anime pedophilia is a stretch. There might be pedophilia in the manga, but I did not see it the anime. Unless the term pedophilia applies to anything involving child abuse.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
@jenthehen

I am aware of the mangaka's tendencies, but calling what happens in the anime pedophilia is a stretch. There might be pedophilia in the manga, but I did not see it the anime. Unless the term pedophilia applies to anything involving child abuse.

It's less depicting pedophilia that expressing it. The manga is somewhat infamous for having what are basically pinups of the child characters as inner covers, and a lot of the nudity featured within the pages is extraneous in the way T&A usually is and is clearly not meant to be as uncomfortable as it is. The anime filtered out as much of that as possible, but there were some spots at which is would have had to contradict frames of the manga and decided not to.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

There are a few moments where the tone indicates that the mangaka has a bit of a loli / shouta thing going (being strung up naked in bondage for punishment, people trying to look / comment on Reg's penis, Riko wetting herself several times, and later in the manga spoiler[ there is a "toilet" with a tongue that licks Riko clean after going] - very minor spoiler) - he also seems to have piss kink and furry fetish going on. None of these things are PERVASIVE or even distracting from the amazing story and visuals, but they are sprinkled in and noticeably THERE if you are aware of them.

Perhaps for you and some other people but it did ruin my experience trying to watch it. It’s such a well made show but then something gross like stringing kids up naked happens early on and it makes me question if I want to support this creator. I personally can’t abide by the weird pedo fetish stuff, as minimal as it may be.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely getting the Angel Links Complete Collection, but that cover art is not showing enough of Duuz, damn it! >__<

Made in Abyss will be arriving tomorrow for me, so I can't wait to see it for myself. I'm a bit concerned, however, at what was mentioned in the article and what everyone has been posting about. Should I be worried?
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Made in Abyss will be arriving tomorrow for me, so I can't wait to see it for myself. I'm a bit concerned, however, at what was mentioned in the article and what everyone has been posting about. Should I be worried?

I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's a very hard stretch to find any sort of pedo vibe from the anime. In fact, I'm surprised that people even bring it up at all.

The manga might be different, I have not read it, but I have watched the anime multiple times and I just don't see it. Even when someone tries to explain it and point it out it's reeeeeaaallly a stretch IMHO.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Is Angels Links worth watching? I loved watching Outlaw Star, both back when it first came out and now, but while I have known about Angel links since the late 00s, I've never actually seen it due to the overwhelming negative reception it had.

I saw a bit of the dub the other day, and I love Luci Christian as Reg.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't see any difference between the Handa-kun BD set that was released last year and this set, other than the "Essentials" banner slapped on the cover and the $25 ($35 list) price cut. Did they put it all on one disk or something?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's a very hard stretch to find any sort of pedo vibe from the anime. In fact, I'm surprised that people even bring it up at all.

The manga might be different, I have not read it, but I have watched the anime multiple times and I just don't see it. Even when someone tries to explain it and point it out it's reeeeeaaallly a stretch IMHO.

I'll take your word for it. Guess I'll see for myself soon enough.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Is Angels Links worth watching? I loved watching Outlaw Star, both back when it first came out and now, but while I have known about Angel links since the late 00s, I've never actually seen it due to the overwhelming negative reception it had.

I might be a bit biased, but it's not too terrible of a spinoff. It's half the length of Outlaw Star as far as episode count goes, and the dub is fine (it's not on Outlaw Star's level of quality though), but its humor can be a bit lowbrow sometimes and it feels like it could have been longer due to the abrupt ending. About the only reason Angel Links got noticed at all originally was because of how it was advertised:

"It's a spinoff of Outlaw Star!"

"See Duuz and Valeria return!"

Considering the way the Angel Links group was described and portrayed in Outlaw Star (as a space police unit), the Angel Links anime changed things quite a bit. The All About Meifon art book has sketches of the pirate fighting company during its initial concept stages and there are a lot of major differences, as well as original ideas that got tossed out. There were even unused crew members that never got into the final product.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Honestly, it's not hard to ignore but it's definitely there. Every time a punishment is mentioned it always has a sexual nature to it, but those are only present early on (and I think only depicted in one brief still image). It's really a tiny slice of the show and probably won't kill your enjoyment of it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't see any difference between the Handa-kun BD set that was released last year and this set, other than the "Essentials" banner slapped on the cover and the $25 ($35 list) price cut. Did they put it all on one disk or something?

The Essential line is the new name of Funimation's SAVE series so it should be exactly the same release except for the blue banner.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

I can't speak for everyone but I found it very, very, disappointing, especially as a huge Outlaw Star fan.

The only thing it has in common with Outlaw Star is that it takes place in the same universe. There are a handful of characters which cross over, but only in the most minor of senses: The main character of Angel Links, Meifon, never appeared in Outlaw Star. A couple of her henchmen showed up as minor characters in one Outlaw Star episode. A couple of minor Outlaw Star characters have minor cameos in Angel Links (Fred Luo, the weapons dealer and the waitress from the bar depicted in Outlaw Star's first episode) I found that the Angel Links characters were standard tropes and the plot of all the episodes I bothered to watch boil down to the same simple formula: try and fight the enemy, when that doesn't work (it never does), use the secret weapon "links cannon" and blow them away. I know that anime is often times known for its formulaic plots but Angel Links, IMHO, is among the worst.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3