• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kentaro Yabuki Says Darling in the Franxx Manga Will Have 'Major Divergences' From the Ani

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I’ve recently came back to reading this adaptation as more chapters of it released so I’m very curious to see what exactly will be different from the anime. Looking forward to seeing what Yabuki has in store for this and I now wonder how much more time he will spend on the series after this announcement.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
More Darling in the Franxx is always welcome, and with Yabuki Kentarou "special touch", it only can become even better.

I hope, that a future anime can be made based on the "what if" plot of the manga.
Definitely, the ending was the weakest part of the anime.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
I’ve recently came back to reading this adaptation as more chapters of it released so I’m very curious to see what exactly will be different from the anime. Looking forward to seeing what Yabuki has in store for this and I now wonder how much more time he will spend on the series after this announcement.

I didn't realize the manga version of Darling in the Franxx was still keeping Kentaro Yabuki preoccupied. It's making me wonder when he will be finished with it because I am still waiting for him and Saki Hasemi commencing work on the third manga installment of To Love-Ru. Until that happens, the only manga heavy with fanservice we will have to gaze our attention to for now will be the Darling in the Franxx manga as well as Shonen Jump's World's End Harem (Shuumatsu no Harem) along with it's spin-off World's End Harem Fantasia (Shuumatsu no Harem Fantasia).
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
This is actually pretty cool! I think all manga adaptations of anime original stories should be slightly different, as that makes more sense than adapting an already finished story.

Now if only it was available legally in English!! :'(
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
It seems I know what the main difference will be, but I'm still interested.
pengin senshi
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I've only read the first few chapters (and hope it comes out in the West legally if only for the art), but if he changes the last arc, I wouldn't complain!

spoiler[He can keep 001, but please make VIRM not aliens...]
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
You mean it'll be good?
ChromeEagle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:47 pm Reply with quote
We need him back in the TLR universe eventually :c
Some more DitF content is good with me though.

But there's something more important to address...

Edit: Nevermind, I found it Shocked
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:17 pm Reply with quote
The anime was perfect enough.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing the preview of the manga and thinking how it was better than I how I thought it would be. The action composition brings to mind Yabuki-sensei's earlier roots in Black Cat.

I wasn't that interested in the manga adaptation at the beginning (I've been traumatized by Eureka Seven's manga adaptation), but this announcement has piqued my interest.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:32 pm Reply with quote
If only this was licensed. I'd pick it up, knowing now that it will not have the same ending. I enjoyed DitF for the majority of the anime's run.
NCfanboy1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:04 am Reply with quote
Darling in the Franxx was a good anime, but I can see why people would be put off by its pacing and rushed(?) finale. And I think there are parts that can be improved on.

I recall Fullmetal Alchemist was a manga and the decision to make it into an anime became so quick that the anime had to tell a different story from what the manga was telling and only include parts of the manga while still making it fit into the anime's story.

The manga eventually finished and somewhere down the line they decided to make an anime that was more true to the manga. And since then more and more people have been seeing the REMAKE and less and less of the original anime, probably because when its story was being told it didn't feel like they had to improvise as it went on. And with the manga it was easier to work on adapting the story on how it was meant to be told.

Something like that can happen with Darling in the Franxx... but in manga form. And hopefully the manga would tell a more defined story.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote
So will it have more, less or the same amount of aliens?

DitF had some interesting concept ideas and some gorgeous animation, but it did not have the most coherent writing. Good luck to Yabuki towards improving it!
NCfanboy1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:31 am Reply with quote
pengin senshi wrote:
I've only read the first few chapters (and hope it comes out in the West legally if only for the art), but if he changes the last arc, I wouldn't complain!

spoiler[He can keep 001, but please make VIRM not aliens...]

spoiler[I wouldn't complain either, because (while I don't hate this aspect per se) it did feel like it jumped the shark a bit. It was at that point where Darling in the Franxx started to feel more like a Gurren Lagann wannabe and less like its own thing. Also those aliens had pretty much NO buildup to them. The Klaxosaurs did, but just as soon as we reach what was supposed to be endgame we suddenly get that "The Klazosaurs aren't the true enemy" route and pretty much pour all their potential down the drain by replacing them with bad guys that nobody was looking forward to.

Also that part where Ikuno and Naomi being an item thing came completely out of nowhere. I get that Ikuno was confirmed to be a lesbian... but I thought Naomi was implied to have more of a connection with Hiro in her debut episode... and all of a sudden she has a relationship with someone she didn't spend any screentime with, just because they wanted to give her a substitute for Ichigo? *Spoilers for Voltron: Legendary Defender btw* That's almost as bad as the time in Voltron: Legendary Defender where Shiro's ex-fiancé named Adam was killed off by the time Shiro returned home and in the next season Shiro gets married to some other guy that we didn't even get to know. It just feels contrived and unneeded.
And why was Ikuno's hair turning white, and how come Naomi lost her arm when she still had it in her cryopod? Those parts were never explained.

The point being; I hope the manga does what Brotherhood did with Fullmetal Alchemist and make a more definitive version of the story.]

Last edited by NCfanboy1 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
^You should probably note that you are including some Voltron: The Legendary Defender spoilers within your DitF spoiler text.

Wait, spoiler[Ikuno and Naomi] were a couple in the end? I must of missed that. There were so many last minute couplings at the end, most of them random, that I honestly didn't notice that one!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2