• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kuromukuro Episodes 14-26 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed and liked the first 13 episodes of Kuromukuro, but I found episodes 14-26 weaker across the board. And the decision of the creators of this original work to have a non conclusive ending was the final nail in the coffin for me.

On the plus side, I will not need to buy discs from Ponycan USA, the worst R1 anime company.

Key wrote:
As with the first half of the series, Kuromukuro is available subtitled-only, which still seems like a curious choice for Netflix.

I suspect PCUSA also had a hand on it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Jundai is a weak character,

To be fair, once you learn who his father is it explains everything about him.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Jundai is a weak character

I am also seconding that the "Family reveal" is actually a little amusing as it makes complete sense.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I enjoyed and liked the first 13 episodes of Kuromukuro, but I found episodes 14-26 weaker across the board. And the decision of the creators of this original work to have a non conclusive ending was the final nail in the coffin for me.

For my personal viewer experience, I found that Macross Delta dropped the ball much more noticeably and significantly than Kuromukuro.

Both series in there second half tried to "expand the roster" by giving characters that had been simply glanced over "a little more screen time", I felt Kuromukuro simply did it better and by the time the final episodes came ahead the climax and dimming ambiguous conclusion of Kuro had me much more invested than what Delta did in its "definitive show conclusion".
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The notable exception is Jundai, who continues to be so single-minded in his pursuit of streaming video that he demonstrates no awareness of his own safety.

If you consider who Jundai's father is, then his behaviour makes absolute sense. Like father, like son.

The way Kuromukuro ended though, do you think it fits with the overall theme of people finding their purpose in life? spoiler[For example, could Kennosuke's decision to join Zell to liberate his home planet be seen as him finding purpose, or was it more because he had to repay the debt of honour he felt he owed Zell for saving him back then?]

Otherwise, I'd be interested to see if the Blurays will have any extra content where the director explains his reasoning behind the ending. In some ways it almost seems like the anime's leaving room open for a sequel, provided the director and staff feel there's still more story to be told.
rebii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Why are you puzzled by Netflix decision to go with subtitles? They probably deliver the series more quickly this way, and they figure most of their members are literate. All in all a most enjoyable series. Cool
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

On the plus side, I will not need to buy discs from Ponycan USA, the worst R1 anime company.

I liked this show, but the non-conclusive ending was very unsatisfying, and definitely knocked it down a point for me. An original mecha series with 26 episodes should never have that open of an ending.. Mad Otherwise though, I really enjoyed the characters, and the show as a whole, and found myself marathoning the entire thing in just two days right as the second half was uploaded to Netflix. Yukina and Kennosuke were an absolute pleasure to spend time with. And PA Works character designs are always incredibly attractive to me as well.
If it was anyone else, I probably would buy it, but I'm not going to spend several hundred dollars on it. Nope. If they release it like they did with their other stuff, this is literally going to be $435 to own... Shocked
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
[quote="relyat08"]
angelmcazares wrote:

I liked this show, but the non-conclusive ending was very unsatisfying, and definitely knocked it down a point for me. An original mecha series with 26 episodes should never have that open of an ending.. Mad Otherwise though, I really enjoyed the characters...

I'm surprised too that the director went with the open ending route. One would almost think he's hoping to make a sequel in the future. I'd be interested in knowing his reasoning for the ending (or whether PA Works had a longer story plot they were unable to fit into the alloted 26 eps).
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
^The weird thing about the ending was that it felt like they had more or less wrapped up everything they needed to for that that plot, but decided to open up a bunch of new threads right at the end. That's what was most frustrating about it to me.

I guess we'll see in a week or so, most likely, if the show is actually successful(looks like the 1st Blu-ray came out on Wednesday). I kind of doubt it for some reason, but if I'm wrong, that would be cool. I will watch a sequel.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
rebii wrote:
Why are you puzzled by Netflix decision to go with subtitles? They probably deliver the series more quickly this way, and they figure most of their members are literate.

Aside from being contrary to a pattern Netflix had established in the past, their audience is the general public, not the dedicated anime fan.

As for delivering the series more quickly, both Knights of Sidonia and Ajin were delivered with a dub in a similar time frame after they ended.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
I'm surprised too that the director went with the open ending route. One would almost think he's hoping to make a sequel in the future. I'd be interested in knowing his reasoning for the ending (or whether PA Works had a longer story plot they were unable to fit into the alloted 26 eps).

relyat08 wrote:
^The weird thing about the ending was that it felt like they had more or less wrapped up everything they needed to for that that plot, but decided to open up a bunch of new threads right at the end. That's what was most frustrating about it to me.

I guess we'll see in a week or so, most likely, if the show is actually successful(looks like the 1st Blu-ray came out on Wednesday). I kind of doubt it for some reason, but if I'm wrong, that would be cool. I will watch a sequel.

My impression as the credits rolled is that P.A. Works seems to have set up the end of the tv series for a true conclusion in the form of a movie. I imagine a potential sequel would be largely dependent on discs sales, but, like relyat08, something tells me that disc sales will not be good.

Normally I would be interested in a sequel, but the less I have to deal with a PCUSA property, the better.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

My impression as the credits rolled is that P.A. Works seems to have set up the end of the tv series for a true conclusion in the form of a movie. I imagine a potential sequel would be largely dependent on discs sales, but, like relyat08, something tells me that disc sales will not be good.

Normally I would be interested in a sequel, but the less I have to deal with a PCUSA property, the better.

It feels a lot like how the original Fafner ended. It's enough of a closed ending that you can say the show's story did end but its also open enough that they could revisit it down the line if they want.

It took Fafner roughly 6 years to get a proper continuation of that story though (not counting Right of Left, the prequel special) though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
If it was anyone else, I probably would buy it, but I'm not going to spend several hundred dollars on it. Nope. If they release it like they did with their other stuff, this is literally going to be $435 to own... Shocked

This series hit all my sweet spots and I was ready to buy it after the third episode, so finding out it was going to be a PC release was a huge blow. Nope, no way. Sad I wish they'd just give up and quit taking titles I want and dangling them out of reach.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I think Okamura, Higaki and co. wrote themselves into a corner by making Efidolg too massive a threat. Even if they made another season or a movie, I don't see how the resistance could convincingly rid the whole universe of them.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The opener and closer also remain unchanged from the first half.

Did Netflix use the first opening and ending for the second half ? The japanese TV broadcast had a new opening if I remember it right, not sure about the ending.

About the "open" ending of the story, it seemed to me that the story itself (Efidolg return on Earth, the main characters making choice for their life) was done. As soon as the Efidolg system was presented, it was obvious no one would squish them like a mosquito (nor ever will?).

PS: what is the PCUSA? (I found something about a church)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2