• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Baki—Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Excellent review, and you've convinced me to check out this insanity for myself
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Netflix loves them some throwbacks. Stuff which is insane, MANLY, and ultraviolet.

And the world needs more of that. Not too much, it loses its charm if it’s overdone, but more.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I like how the plus and negatives are the same
Stelman257

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the English dub cast is stacked with top talent in its own right

Oh is it ever! You’ve got the usual heavy hitters like Kyle Hebert, Grant George, Johnny Yong Bosch in one corner. Then they throw guys like DC Douglas, Kaiji Tang and Liam O’Brien in to keep you on your toes, and finally they bring it home with bloody Steve Blum, James C Mathis, and of all people Troy Baker as the voice of Baki.

Was the taxi driver scene as amazing in Japanese? Liam O’Brien makes that taxi trip the most intense thing ever, it’s absolutely amazing.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Man we need more shows like this.

Epic pulse-pounding manly warriors beating the absolute shit out of each other for no reason than because it’s fun.

No pretty-boys or speeches about friendship, just ultra badasses jacked like shit brick houses out to prove who’s the cock of the walk. Cool
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
And that’s why I want someone to make a Karate Minoru anime.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:09 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
And that’s why I want someone to make a Karate Minoru anime.

I know right!, though to be honest it loses the gross gritty violence after its first half

but even so, Minoru is in my opinion still the best depiction of karate in manga/anime to date. an anime of it would be awesome. it is just a shame that the setting has become so culturally outdated, and I am not only talking about the early 90's lack of cellphones and having the characters record VHS while the internet being this obscure nerdy thing but also considering that the second half of the series is all about the boom of full contact kickboxing which is also way past its prime today
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:39 am Reply with quote
As I've never heard of Baki before so I did not know what to expect aside from fighting, but I was surprised to see how incredibly insane the fights were, the only negative thing for me is that sometimes the fights seemed to drag on a lot.
I also was interested in watching the spanish dub because instead of a professional voice actor Baki is being voiced by Mexican actor Alfonso Herrera and Spec was voiced by a Mexican YouTuber, both of them already had some expierence in dubbing but mainly on animated films. Baki sounded fine, but Spec sounded a little high pitched (I don't know how he sounds in Japanese). All other characters are still being voiced by professionals however, but overall the dub was pretty good.
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
this is one of the few good Netflix animes..., Netflix needs to get more manga adaptations, those can end up good on Netflix
MattB1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:33 pm Reply with quote
So...should Baki be a guest character in Mortal Kombat 11?
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate that this exists, but I could only make it through 7 episodes before giving up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1