• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mamoru Oshii Names 5 Films Essential to Ghost in the Shell Film's Creation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tojikomori

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote
This Island Earth had an even bigger impact on Patlabor.

"Science and industry! See big men sticking screw drivers into things, turning them, and, adjusting them!"
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Only impact This Island Earth had was when Mystery Science Theater 3000 made it's feature film in their own movie.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One of Oshii's classic films Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer, the second Urusei Yatsura film, will also be broadcast on the Movie Plus channel in Japan in February.

And currently streaming every-flippin'-where, starting with Amazon Prime.

Wrangler wrote:
Only impact This Island Earth had was when Mystery Science Theater 3000 made it's feature film in their own movie.

Being relatively the same age, I assume Oshii ALSO saw it in a revival theater in his early years, about twenty years before MST3K fans even knew it existed.
(What would Famous Monsters of Filmland be, without the Metaluna Mutant to put on the cover?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1