• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Virtual YouTubers Star in TV Tokyo's Watanuki-san Chi no Series in April

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In the story, the three VTubers will play the roles of the Watanuki sisters, who live together in one house in the Shitamachi area of Tokyo after they lost their parents. The series will show the heartwarming everyday lives of the sisters.

So, it's a cute girls being cute show. Except they're real people, sort of, because they're Youtube personalities, but not really because they're known only as their 2.5D anime avatars, which are only pretending to be real people, although they have the voices (?) and motion-captured movements and, to some extent, personalities of their actors. (Are they playing characters, or themselves? Does that question even matter when we only know them through their anime personas? Is any of this even new or is it just a more honest take on faux personalities used in public by celebrities?) Also the show is classified as a drama even though it looks like an anime, presumably because this would be considered a drama and/or reality-TV contraption if not for the whole anime avatars thing.

...welcome to the future, I guess.
TravellinMatt77

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
It will be very interesting to see how long this trend lasts. Are these two shows the first of many, or will the practice die before it has a chance to take hold in the public consciousness?
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Okay, might be an early call, but VTubers could become the reality tv of the anime world... (lowering production costs, less professionals)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1