• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majū Sensen Babylonia Anime Reveals Character Visuals for Merlin, Ana

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I've been wondering: where does ANN get their name translations for announcements on this? Some of them differ from the translations used in the US release of the game, and I don't see any English on the Japanese website for this anime.

Edit: To be specific, ANN consistently renders "絶対魔獣戦線" as "The Absolute Frontline in the War Against the Demonic Beasts," while the English release of FGO uses "Absolute Demonic Front," and "マシュ" as "Mashu," while the English release of FGO uses "Mash." Neither is "wrong," but I'm curious as to why ANN uses what I assume to be its own translations instead of matching the official localization.

Last edited by OtherSideofSky on Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
sirdano1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:02 am Reply with quote
Ana? Isn't that Medusa Lily?
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:04 am Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:

She's called Ana all throughout the singularity, so it's not surprising that that's the name they used here.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:26 am Reply with quote
We've been using the names that are listed on the official Japanese website. The names are all written in the phonetic katakana alphabet (so far anyway). In this case the character is being referred to as Ana (in Japanese: アナ) so that's what we used.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:31 am Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
sirdano1 wrote:

She's called Ana all throughout the singularity, so it's not surprising that that's the name they used here.

In addition to being a plot point, I guess the ones above haven't played the singularity... or even the game.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:12 am Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
Ana? Isn't that spoiler[Medusa Lily]?

Ana's true name is a plot spoiler which is almost certainly why they didn't use it...
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:41 am Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:

Edit: To be specific, ANN consistently renders "絶対魔獣戦線" as "The Absolute Frontline in the War Against the Demonic Beasts," while the English release of FGO uses "Absolute Demonic Front," and "マシュ" as "Mashu," while the English release of FGO uses "Mash." Neither is "wrong," but I'm curious as to why ANN uses what I assume to be its own translations instead of matching the official localization.

The only one who use those translations is the official EN release . Even the fan tl'd the ones in the article years ago.
RahviTheColorful

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
sirdano1 wrote:

Ana's true name is a plot spoiler which is almost certainly why they didn't use it...

That one is pretty hilarious, though, when the game clearly shows her NP as "Caress of the Medusa". I wonder who could this be???

But yeah, as a game player I'm excited too, but all the spoilers in videos and news must be really annoying for people who never played and just want to watch the anime.
When I saw the PV on YouTube there were a lot of people talking about important plot points. Not everyone plays this game... And I know players who didn't really watch the story either

About the translations... I don't change anyone for rejecting the official terms when they think that "Altria" is the best way to romanize that name.[/url]
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
RahviTheColorful wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:
sirdano1 wrote:

That one is pretty hilarious, though, when the game clearly shows her NP as "Caress of the Medusa". I wonder who could this be???

But yeah, as a game player I'm excited too, but all the spoilers in videos and news must be really annoying for people who never played and just want to watch the anime.
When I saw the PV on YouTube there were a lot of people talking about important plot points. Not everyone plays this game... And I know players who didn't really watch the story either

About the translations... I don't change anyone for rejecting the official terms when they think that "Altria" is the best way to romanize that name.[/url]

The player knows who it is. It is very hard to not recognize her even in tiny form. It is the other characters that don't know her
RahviTheColorful

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:

The player knows who it is. It is very hard to not recognize her even in tiny form. It is the other characters that don't know her

Well, with the super different art style and considering a lot of characters look really similar in Fate without being necessary related, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't really be that obvious if you didn't already know it really was her from the name. At least not until her connection with Gorgon starts to show, by which point it's clear that you're meant to figure it out, story wise.

That's why they put the whole true name system from Shinjuku onwards... We weren't really supposed to know right away.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Actually it isn't. She never reveals her true name to anyone nor is her true identity actually revelant to the plot overall. And the protagonist already knows who she is (depending on your choices you are either surprised or already have figured it out). It's not so much a secret, and the only reason she hides her identity is because of the humans.

However, there is indeed an important spoiler surrounding her: spoiler[Ana eventually returns as the white Gorgon to help Fujimaru's team stalling against Tiamat.]

RahviTheColorful wrote:

That's why they put the whole true name system from Shinjuku onwards... We weren't really supposed to know right away.

...Which was then abandoned right after Epic of Remnants, at least for future playable Servants. Hiding the True Name doesn't work that well within FGO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1