• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega's 'Sega Genesis Mini' Console Launches with 40 Games on September 19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:09 am Reply with quote
I hope that it also plays Mega-CD games, it would just include adding another emulator program.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:55 am Reply with quote
SEGA: Dreamcast mini? Nah, let's just do another Genesis re-release AGAIN.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
Apparently Sega announced separately that M2 is doing the programming, so that means it'll actually be good this time. M2 is one of the best at doing really high quality emulation releases, like the last few years of Sega Ages among other things.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
Sega of America did confirm the Sega Genesis Mini, with Rent-A-Hero, Puyo Puyo 2, Madou Monogatari I, & Powerball replaced with Ecco the Dolphin, ToeJam & Earl, Altered Beast, & Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine. Unfortunately, Sega of America also decided to swap out the Mega Drive Mini's 6-button controllers with the original 3-button controllers, which is just downright stupid. Also, seeing as the Mega Drive Mini will be including all regional versions of every game being offered, which many are thinking will also apply to the Genesis Mini, Sega of America's device now feels more or less pointless, as it will be offering the worse controller for the Genesis.

I'm sorry, but including the 3-button controller is a boneheaded decision, and likely means that Street Fighter II won't be included at all, while it could still be an option for the Mega Drive Mini. Why buy the Genesis Mini when the Mega Drive Mini is already the better option, on the whole?
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:49 am Reply with quote
I was excited about this at first but it seems that the NTSC version will only include the 3-button controller instead of the six-button like the Japanese version. As someone else said, that means no Street Fighter II. I know that the original Genesis came with a that controller at first but I grew up with the Model 2 which included the six-button controller.
At least the game selection that they previewed is fine, I'd like they to include titles like Ristar, Streets of Rage, and some third-party games like Strider and Ghosts n' Ghouls as well as some Sega CD and 32X games, but I don't think that's going to happen.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Without AtGames ruining it THIS time.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Be thankful they're not doing a Sega Dreamcast mini given they still haven't really figured out how to make a proper Genesis clone system.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

With the fact they're still trying to figure out how these mini systems work be thankful they're not immediately doing that yet.

Lord Geo wrote:

while it could still be an option for the Mega Drive Mini. Why buy the Genesis Mini when the Mega Drive Mini is already the better option, on the whole?

Well that and the fact the SNES Classic can be made to play Genesis games.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:48 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Still can't hear discussions of Dreamcast and Saturn without picturing their anthropomorphized versions from Hi-sCool! Sega Girls. (Now streaming on Crunchyroll.)
Dreamcast being the cute one who can access the Internet (on dial-up), while Saturn is the bossy one who seems to be the only one who finds the boxy Minecraft-like Virtua Fighters characters attractive.

As for "Wow, a Mini is the ONLY WAY I'll ever be able to play Shining Force again!", most of the Sega-owned classics were already released on one "Sega Ultimate Genesis Collection" PS3 disk nine years ago.
Not sure if this Mini means that the rights do to a PS4 upgrade are all tied up, but at least some of us know the difference between getting a vintage game back again, and just buying a symbolic plastic tsotchke to remind us of our junior high years.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that the only *official* way of playing Sega Genesis games from cartridge on a console with modern video outputs will remain the AtGames consoles.

Of course, I specified "official". If you don't care whether or not a device that can play Genesis cartridges has the official blessing of Sega, there are clones like the new Analogue Mega SG and the older Minigen HD. I think there are also aftermarket options to add HDMI to old Sega Genesis consoles though I'd imagine paying to have an old Genesis modded would exceed the cost of just buying a clone console.

Depending on the price and selection of games, I might still consider buying a Sega Genesis MINI, but there would have to be at least some games that aren't already included in the myriad of Sega Genesis collections on other consoles. The lack of a cartridge slot is still a sore point considering many of my favourite Genesis games have some kind of licensed element (i.e. cartoon/movie/comic book characters, sports teams/players, or real world automobiles) that would make it unlikely that they'd appear on the Genesis MINI.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I was excited about this at first but it seems that the NTSC version will only include the 3-button controller instead of the six-button like the Japanese version. As someone else said, that means no Street Fighter II. I know that the original Genesis came with a that controller at first but I grew up with the Model 2 which included the six-button controller.
At least the game selection that they previewed is fine, I'd like they to include titles like Ristar, Streets of Rage, and some third-party games like Strider and Ghosts n' Ghouls as well as some Sega CD and 32X games, but I don't think that's going to happen.

The controller does seem like an odd choice given that other versions have six buttons, so it's not like Sega is completely devoted to replicating the original. Even if that is the thinking, I don't think anyone would complain about the better version. I said the same thing about the controllers for the PS1 Classic, which even included Metal Gear Solid, a game with cutscenes that relied on rumble, yet they went with the original controllers. Then again, Sony didn't seem to care much beyond getting the thing out the door, so I doubt they knew/cared.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1