• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Carole & Tuesday (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote

Carole & Tuesday (TV)

Genres: Sci-Fi, Music, Drama, Romance
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Fifty years have passed since mankind began migrating to the new frontier: Mars. It's an age where most culture is produced by AI, and people are content to be passive consumers. There's a girl scraping a living in the metropolis of Alba City, she's working part-time while trying to become a musician. She's always felt like something is missing. Her name is Carole. There's another girl. Born to a wealthy family in the provincial town of Herschel City, she dreams of becoming a musician, but nobody around her understands. She feels like the loneliest person in the world. Her name is Tuesday. A chance meeting brings them together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
miketan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
surprisingly entertaining enough for the 1st episode,

Tuesday is really stiff with her "movement". Must be the results of not being allowed to step out her house by her parents. So she gets into clumsy situations, easily.

Carole on the hand, can be quite a handful to handle. Carole is an independent girl and knows how to get back to her bully, at work. .

And lastly, nasty child acttress Angela. Is she a friend or foe to both Carole & Tuesday?

i will continue to watch this anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:10 am Reply with quote
I am not really a music person, with more often than not I can be turned off of music anime, outside of some the crazier personality shows like a Love Live or K-ON. Carole in Tuesday are certainly lower key in personality, but there just feels like something endearing about them, at least from the first episode.

Watanabe is attached, so I can kind of feel that sort of Cowboy Bebop sort of vibe, where it just has this more western feel that stands out a bit. But instead of jazz this time it has a different tone to music, which I think is part of the main draws it is setting up, a loneliness but inner strength of these girls. I am not a music person, but I really liked this first episode, and was really into the music parts. I will just say straight away that Tuesday’s singing was beautiful, but really a good job at making the runaway rich girl feel quite likable. And Tuesday is great too, in all the ways she moved, and just feeling interesting.

It is not a blow away start in the ways of something bombastic, but there is just something really well done about this episode, but just really good lowkey stuff, that I think it still somehow making itself the best first episode of the season so far. Just a really good complete package of a style done with confidence, without feeling like it is trying to play up a gimmick, because we should just be able to recognise something that is good.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
Watanabe Shinichirou is back!

Seriously though, this was one of my most anticipated shows of the season ever since it was announced. The character chemistry between Carole and Tuesday felt really natural from the moment they've met. Both characters contrast a bit in personality but I think I can get used to it.

Even the music made me feel like the show had its own place so far. I'm expecting them to produce more and improve over the course of the series and perhaps even make a name of themselves in their world. Speaking of the world, it has a modern sci-fi vibe to it which makes this anime even more interesting to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
The wait for this series to start was well worth it! I found both Carole and Tuesday to be instantly likable, particularly Carole. I also really like the character designs for this show.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 am Reply with quote
Hope they don't elude the question of how these young ladies will feed themselves, and clothe themselves in Tuesday's case now that her luggage was stolen.

Watanabe abandoned his trademark two-guys-and-a-girl structure for this show. Will it later become two-girls-and-a-guy?

I'm a little concerned the "humans rescue music from AI" plot might be a bit thin for 24 episodes. I, too, am curious whether Angela will become an antagonist or join Carole and Tuesday on the pro-human side.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Had to do a little double take to make sure that indeed one of the reverse image searches, or whatever it was, of Carole came back with a picture of a pineapple. I think what was especially kind of cool was that it was not actually too sci-fi, with maybe just a little bit better facial recognition, and being found via map of careless social networking.

A lot the episode was kind of a standard bit, like Tuesday as expected as a rich girl being totally inept at cleaning, or Carole hilariously failing at a job, which apparently was to fake cry at a funeral and ended up laughing. There also being the on top of Carole and Tuesday breaking into a venue to perform which ended with running away from security. But I think there was some nice touches there, where you can see the guy she knew clearly trying to stop her while still some connection with Carole, and of course everyone taken by the song in a way that felt earned.

Do think their new manager should consider some better social skills, and not look like villain from The Shining. Do wonder if the reason he hated the other music while liking there's is that he can tell the AI created ones apart.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Well Tuesday showed that she is not without attitude herself, that while the DJ was accusing them of only being into music for fun, Tuesday did a bit of crazy. Starting a fire with the sheet music after him telling them that it was burnable trash. Although they ran away, I wonder if his impression was actually more positive.

Also, a nice new song in started in the laundromat.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Laughing Oh man, that was hilarious. To be frank it was partially their own fault for putting way too many ideas into it, like just two were Thriller and Avengers, out of a dozen. I was thinking there was something familiar with the robot, and it was seeing him watch Space Dandy, not exactly like QT from that show, but the often general feel of a little bit silly skeevy. A robot drinking beer also mostly me think of Futurama. Apparently the warning signs should have been there when the robot's rating was 1 star. Still think they should have released that mess of a music video. Could of still had an impact, and show their sort of goofiness.

The episode also finally really sold me on Roddy, if he is going to be in for the long run with them. Just wondering about IDEA making him dance so much, when it looks like it may have just duplicated his image in the end, for a really small part. One of the not really move story forward episodes, but these silly character focused episodes are often some of the greatest, such as the baseball episode of Samurai Champloo.

I am certainly continuing to look forward to more. I think that it is going to be such a tragedy that this is going to have to be watched when released all at once at the end for Netflix.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:17 am Reply with quote
I really loved the Space Dandy cameo in this episode. What made it even better is that IDEA and QT are voiced by the same voice actress, Uki Satake!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

A more moving the story forward episode after the silly comedy of last week. And we got another song, was not expecting that songs would continue to come out this early in. I am not a big music person, but at this point I think that I am kind of interested in looking into getting the soundtrack to this show, I am enjoying it that much. And really I think the show is doing a good job at showing music being able to touch hearts.

In general I have been less interested in commenting on shows, but Carole & Tuesday just has me want to put my thoughts out after each episode so far. This week had an undercurrent with Tuesday's brother, who every time I look at him I just think of something like a blonde Projared. It was a bit of mystery of how they might characterise him, like sure the way his collar is popped looks a bit sleazy, but his broader character was less explored, and although he did not speak much in the episode really, I think that it was put across that he is not a bad guy. Sure he is a rich guy with blonde hair who is working for the family matriarch and looks too proper, but he seemed kind of sincere in Tuesday's safety, not manipulative when talking to the old guy, and seems like his heart was connected by Carole and Tuesday's performance, that he might defend her adventure.

I think that it would have been easy to make Tuesday's brother more villainous, like a reminder of the controlling environment she comes from, so it is refreshing that the rich girl's brother is a perfectly reasonable dude, who has a good idea why she ran away in the first place. There was also that Hoefner (however spelt) guy, who could be just a sleazy business dude, but his point about the girls not having enough history yet and needing to protect the company felt reasonable. It did kind of feel like Gus was being a bit pushy, and it was not exactly a no for the future, just wondering what the call he got at the end was about.

Also, Tuesday managed to get her suitcase back. I saw a really interesting comment on Reddit that put forward the idea that the song about finding your way back home, was about her suitcase finding her. And that just feels like too perfect of a reason that it is my head cannon now.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
If you're interested in the music, DP, they'll be releasing a CD in the beginning of July, according to the official website.

http://caroleandtuesday.com/?lang=en

The official website actually has quite a bit of information in English on the series. Just be careful, because they actually have next week's episode synopsis up.

I just discovered on the Japanese-language newsfeed that they'll be having a live performance in Harajuku on August 11, just when I'll happen to be there! I will definitely try to go see it!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

A possibly crazy good opportunity, where they had the chance to perform at a musical festival with a huge audience, stuck between so terrified that they want the one they are back up for to play, but something they could also help to make it. Ended with some tears where the audience was actively hostile to them, and then upstaged by the crazy guy they were back up for suddenly showing up. Broke their hearts, until their idol, Crystal, complementing them for sticking in there. Other things included a sort of dynamic Crystal and the initially scary man they accidentally ran into, Skip, kind of cheering them on to keep their spirit. Certainly felt like there was something to read between their two songs, one being about lost love, while the other about a found connection. Not sure if their songs were about the other person.

I probably would like to see more of Crystal and Skip in the future. And Etergun is such a dork. And going off of the performance of Carole and Tuesday, it wasn't just a take how it was performed already and put it in while people yell at them. Their nervousness showed through their performance with I think the tempo being a bit too fast.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:43 am Reply with quote
Skip and Crystal clearly had a relationship in their pasts. They speak about it as he is ascending the stairs to the stage. We don't see Crystal's face during the conversation, just her costume. And Skip still has an "unrequitted" love for her. (You'd think the singer could have pronounced "unrequited" correctly since it recurs in the song.)

Crystal's vocalist's performance was probably the best one so far in this show, certainly better than Alisa's performance as Angela last week. Carole and Tuesday themselves don't do much for me at all. Watanabe had better taste in music when he made Apollon than he has shown so far here.

The Band's Life is a Carnival is the first episode/song title I didn't recognize. I was pretty cognizant of popular music when this was released in 1971 and don't remember hearing it on the radio unlike, say, The Weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PuC7xyJsBQ
Merida

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
^The music is very...inoffensive, everything is so middle-of-the-road that i found whatever little we heard of Joshua actually refreshing...and i gotta agree that Carole & Tuesday's songs are especially boring.

That aside, i'm enjoying the anime quite a bit, but i gotta admit that i would have prefered a rockier or punkier version of C&T (and that includes their personalities...).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6