Forum - View topic
30 Years Ago: The Best Anime of 1989


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lord Geo



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 1669
Location: North Brunswick, New Jersey
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
1989, huh? Let me take a look at the ANN Encyclopedia & see what titles made in that year still resonate with me, or at least catch my interest...

-Beat Shot!!: This isn't a good OVA by any means, and in fact is rather boring. Still, I guess saying that it's "An OVA based on a pornographic golf manga, with animation done by Gainax (but not any of the talented people) because they needed to stay in business" is enough to catch some peoples' attention.

-Cipher the Video: This OVA... This OVA... is amazing. While I'm not familiar with the original shojo manga it's based on, this is still something to check out, if only for the bizarre look at late-80s New York Americana, everyone speaking only in English, & the various covers of popular 80s music (plus actual licensed music in the form of the Thompson Twins!). Also, for fans of the recent Tomegawa: Middle Management Blues anime, the narrator for that show (Jay Kabira) voiced Cipher himself in this OVA.

-Fuma no Kojirou: Yasha-hen: With Saint Seiya TV ending in 1989, it was only natural that another studio would want to take control of that Masami Kurumada gravy train. So, just a month or so after the last episode of Seiya aired, Animate-Film & J.C. Staff released the first episode of their OVA adaptation of Fuma no Kojirou, one of the manga Kurumada did between his two big hits (Ring ni Kakero & Saint Seiya). Honestly, the Yasha-hen OVA itself is fine, though I greatly prefer the second OVA series from 1990, but it's easy to see what they were aiming for here. They brought in Takao Koyama, Shingo Araki, & Michi Himeno from Seiya TV, a lot of the same (supporting cast) voice actors were brought in to voice the main cast, and because of that it manages to feel similar to the Seiya anime in a lot of ways. Sadly, today this is an Aniplex title, so the chances of this ever getting an English release (which were already effectively 0%) are even less.

-Tenku Senki Shurato: Speaking of "Anime made because Saint Seiya was a hit", here's Tatsunoko's take on the concept, replacing all of the Greek mythos with Hindu mythos, instead. I haven't seen Shurato yet, but I've always heard great things about it. I really wish Sentai had gotten this anime as part of its old licensing deal with Tatsunoko, honestly.

-Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket: I know others will no doubt bring this OVA up, so I'll just say that it really is as good as everyone says it is.

-Ys: I'm a big fan of Nihon Falcom's Ys series, so naturally I really enjoy this OVA adaptation of the first game. It expands on the original barebones plot is a lot of really cool ways, and having Sound Team JDK do all of the music just made perfect sense, making it sound perfect. Sadly, the Ys II OVA doesn't come out quite as well, mainly because of it feeling like an OVA series cancelled early, but the original Ys OVA series is still aces, in my book.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dm
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 24 Sep 2010
Posts: 390
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Dear Discotek, please try for Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai!.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Justy93



Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 19
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Love love love the mention of BAOH, that anime is in a serious need of a sequel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Takkun4343



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Posts: 792
Location: Gahanna, Ohio
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
All this talk about BAOH reminds me of an old Answerman article.

Quote:


Finally, Josh puts it simply:

BAOH. It's only a matter of time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
MoonPhase1



Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 295
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I also enjoyed Patlabor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KabaKabaFruit



Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 1549
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Z, back when it was enjoyed casually as your standard season anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
KyokoBestMeguca



Joined: 05 Aug 2018
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
How could we go this far without mentioning the glorious trash fire that is Angel Cop?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pauladls



Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 185
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
kiki delivery was 1989, holy.. what??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Thacker
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 751
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
I also enjoyed Patlabor.


My hunch is that Patlabor wasn't mentioned because 1989 is when the TV series started, but the original (different continuity, IIRC) OVAs were earlier.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blanchimont



Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 1811
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
pauladls wrote:
kiki delivery was 1989, holy.. what??

It's aged well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anime World Order



Joined: 05 May 2006
Posts: 385
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Cipher has become a meme in recent years thanks to the power of Youtube. I'm glad it's out there. I contemplated including Shurato, but I felt I couldn't do it since I'd only ever seen about a third of the series. I originally did have Gundam 0080 mentioned, but then I remembered we have no US Blu-Ray. Sad

KyokoBestMeguca wrote:
How could we go this far without mentioning the glorious trash fire that is Angel Cop?


Earlier drafts of this had entirely too much to say about Angel Cop. In the end, it was cut purely for length and for certainty that others would mention it. Such is justice. PS: for the record, I am a banana.

MoonPhase1 wrote:
I also enjoyed Patlabor.


I, too, greatly enjoyed Patlabor. That's why it got covered in last year's piece.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WingKing



Joined: 27 Apr 2015
Posts: 570
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
1989 is kind of a void year for me, anime-wise, especially since I was never into Dragon Ball or Ranma. The only 1989 anime that I have in my collection are Kiki, which I love, and the film edit of Yotoden that was released that year, which, yeah. The less said about that dumpster fire the better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Triltaison



Joined: 03 Jul 2011
Posts: 288
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Other than my surprise at a lack of War in the Pocket and Angel Cop, I'm perfectly happy with the list.

Personally, I also enjoy Cipher, Idol Densetsu Eriko, and Five Star Stories. Oh, and I think I'm one of like 8 people who remember Garaga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#HayamiLover



Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 420
Location: Eastern Europe
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a romance series it's too slow and too platonic for contemporary “shippers” to latch onto; if you thought Ranma and Akane took their sweet time, the title of Yawara! episode 98 is “First Kiss” and we only legally got the first 40 episodes here! But in Japan, the legacy is clear.


Nowadays, when when 70-75% of a ship community is busy bringing together characters whose love interest status is hardly even implied, do you say that shipers will be scared away by too platonic development of characters relationships?

Not to mention the fact that Captain Tsubasa, broadcast 10-20 years earlier, managed to become one of the pioneers of slash shiping, being at the same time chaste shonen show without any fanservice. And of course, not to mention a bunch of current mono-gender shows, which earn enormous popularity as yuri or yaoi only because in the center of their story there are getting along well friends,who not even reaching the first kiss at all.

Rather, the fact is that in the West at that time there was an era of shonens and mecha, not to mention that in the late 80s and early 90s few people cared about the female audience, even if you remember that Yawara is technically only seinen with female protagonist. Dragon Ball Z, Ranma, Lupin, all these shows are known even to a person with minimal knowledge of anime and they are all pretty manly, so at least part of the problem is obvious.

I can bet that if this show was modern ongoing, it would have become a cult and in the west too, with many resources writing about the “amazing femiistic freshness of the new sports anime” and people, who ships MC with both male love interest and female rival.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spawn29



Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 442
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Dear Discotek, please try for Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai!.


I would love if they picked up Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai because it's a great underrated gem. Discotek picking up Baoh would be nice unless AnimEigo does a kickstarter for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group