• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Simulcast for Wise Man's Grandchild Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
So, is Crunchyroll going to eventually stream every show? I am not complaining, but I thought this would have been very unlikely after the Funimation divorce.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:42 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
So, is Crunchyroll going to eventually stream every show? I am not complaining, but I thought this would have been very unlikely after the Funimation divorce.

This might be one of those few shows where the producers sold the rights to stream to a few different services. While most streamed shows are exclusive to one service or another, not all of them are. I think Aniplex shows generally air on a few different places, but I don't remember the specifics.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:05 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

This might be one of those few shows where the producers sold the rights to stream to a few different services. While most streamed shows are exclusive to one service or another, not all of them are. I think Aniplex shows generally air on a few different places, but I don't remember the specifics.

I am aware of all that, but CR is the only service that keeps getting more shows already streaming in other places. I am fascinated by this.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the deal might have been signed back when CR and Funi were cross-licensing everything.

I notice CR picks up the HIDIVE simulcasts pretty quickly, but they're all under the same corporate umbrella, so. Which is nice since I have an HDIVE sub, but prefer CR's AppleTV app.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:22 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I am aware of all that, but CR is the only service that keeps getting more shows already streaming in other places. I am fascinated by this.
Maybe it's the case that Funimation and Crunchyroll have worked out something and maybe they'll keep co-sharing some shows but it won't be the all encompassing massive deal they had before and be more of a case by case basis. It would probably be for the best for them to get along somewhat if Crunchyroll needs someone to handle their home video distribution.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Maybe it's the case that Funimation and Crunchyroll have worked out something and maybe they'll keep co-sharing some shows but it won't be the all encompassing massive deal they had before and be more of a case by case basis. It would probably be for the best for them to get along somewhat if Crunchyroll needs someone to handle their home video distribution.

I don't think Funi and CR have a less encompassing sharing deal. CR is probably paying to get streaming rights for shows Funi already has.
Toonces

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:22 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I don't think Funi and CR have a less encompassing sharing deal. CR is probably paying to get streaming rights for shows Funi already has.

I agree with this. Funimation likely owns all the rights to the shows, but they're interested in getting their shows out as much as possible for the eventual BD/DVD buyers. Thus they're willing to sublicense to Hulu and CR (and even Netflix later on in some cases) if they're willing to pay. CR wants to be the one stop place, so they're probably grudgingly willing to pay extra.

The only title that's slightly questionable for me is YU-NO, as they originally aired the PV, as well as not only got subs but the simuldub too.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:18 am Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I agree with this. Funimation likely owns all the rights to the shows, but they're interested in getting their shows out as much as possible for the eventual BD/DVD buyers. Thus they're willing to sublicense to Hulu and CR (and even Netflix later on in some cases) if they're willing to pay. CR wants to be the one stop place, so they're probably grudgingly willing to pay extra.

The only title that's slightly questionable for me is YU-NO, as they originally aired the PV, as well as not only got subs but the simuldub too.

Crunchyroll is streaming the simuldub for Yu-No?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:57 am Reply with quote
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
Yu-no was likely a show they licensed together before splitting. Probably Wise man as well. IM sure we'll continue to see more shared licenses for a few more seasons since they work these things out long before the shows air

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
Another anime that does not come to South America
It's complicated this season in crunchyroll (South America)
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:21 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I missed that little tidbit when I read that article the other day. So it's only available to paid subscribers which leads me to believe funimation may still have the master rights to this show.
Mavado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
They just added Isekai Quartet, YES! About time.
Toonces

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Yu-no was likely a show they licensed together before splitting. Probably Wise man as well. IM sure we'll continue to see more shared licenses for a few more seasons since they work these things out long before the shows air

Some things will probably be shared, like any sequels to shows they licensed together. I imagine Dragon Maid 2 will be for instance.

I do not believe YU-NO or Wise Man are shared. If they were, Crunchyroll wouldn’t be getting these shows 2-3 weeks later. They’d have had them from the beginning.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:22 am Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

FYI CR has the licensor information on the front page, lower right of the show. If it's licensed from Funimation, it'll say Publisher: Funimation. If it's licensed directly from the Japanese producer, it'll state the producer and not Funimation. In this case, for Wise Man’s Grandchild, it's directly from Kadokawa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1