Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - One Punch Man Ain't What He Used to Be


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
God of Jurai



Joined: 28 May 2019
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I literally created this account to comment on this... but seriously??? Filler Arc??? The whole thing has been Canon.... ain't no filler here...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meruru



Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Posts: 363
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I get so tired of people arguing there's too much anime, so some of it looks bad. While eye popping visuals are always a plus, not every show needs to look cinema quality in order to be worth seeing. Way back when America was just starting to notice anime, the vast majority made for TV were mostly a bunch of stills with a two frame animation of a flapping mouth. If people didn't love it then, there's a decent chance we wouldn't be importing it now, seeing as the vast majority of international shows are still never imported. And there's plenty of shows now where, yes, they're cheaply made, but often spectacle isn't the point, and I'd rather have a serviceable if not beautiful rendition than none at all.

Yes, it's unfortunate that One Punch Man no longer had that same level of production quality. But I also think it hurts the show so much because there isn't that much there to begin with. The entire premise is a single joke. And maybe they should make fewer, but I say that mostly because the artists are overworked and underpaid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grimmydark



Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 12
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I just started reading the manga this month and reached the latest volume. The anime has NOT portrayed any filler content. Everything in S2 is canon. Guess I'll stop reading reviews from this website knowing that it's team/staff don't research their material first. Not only do you bring news late, you also give misinformation. You should be ashamed of yourselves as you are misleading people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
egozi14



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
God of Jurai wrote:
I literally created this account to comment on this... but seriously??? Filler Arc??? The whole thing has been Canon.... ain't no filler here...


I too was wondering if it a filler thanks to this post Rolling Eyes
It's in the manga though so it's not a real filler

So misleading....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grimvice



Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 58
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I think when they say filler, I don't think they mean filler as in whether or not it's canon, but more if it's relevant to the story.

I mean not gonna lie, I still love this show but this animation and pacing is inexcusable when you've had three years with such a popular series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lossthief



Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 560
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
God of Jurai wrote:
I literally created this account to comment on this... but seriously??? Filler Arc??? The whole thing has been Canon.... ain't no filler here...


grimmydark wrote:
Everything in S2 is canon. Guess I'll stop reading reviews from this website knowing that it's team/staff don't research their material first. Not only do you bring news late, you also give misinformation. You should be ashamed of yourselves as you are misleading people.

So just to clear up this misconception: Yusuke Murata's One-Punch Man manga is not the original source material. While it's what the anime has emulated, the actual original is ONE's original webcomic, which went on hiatus for a considerable amount of time a few years after it started getting attention online.

Everything involving the martial arts tournament and monster invasion (see: basically everything that's happened in S2 after Garo's fight with Tank Top Master) is material that was created for the manga so as to avoid catching up to/overtaking the webcomic. In the webcomic, we go pretty much immediately from Garo vs Tank Top Master to spoiler[Garo's fight against Bang and Bomb]. So yes, while the anime isn't the first iteration of this material, it is most definitely filler.

More importantly, though, is that nothing going on in the tournament really matters spoiler[after the fight with Bakuzan, Suiryu never returns, nobody else there is involved with the larger story with the Monster Association, and it's literally just there to explain what Saitama is doing while the manga-original Monster Invasion fights are going on. ]


Last edited by lossthief on Tue May 28, 2019 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kyo Hisagi



Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 123
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
egozi14 wrote:
God of Jurai wrote:
I literally created this account to comment on this... but seriously??? Filler Arc??? The whole thing has been Canon.... ain't no filler here...


I too was wondering if it a filler thanks to this post Rolling Eyes
It's in the manga though so it's not a real filler

So misleading....


Tournament Arc wasn't in original webcomic if I wasn't lied to, so it is still kinda fillerish.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eekin



Joined: 10 Sep 2015
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
egozi14 wrote:
God of Jurai wrote:
I literally created this account to comment on this... but seriously??? Filler Arc??? The whole thing has been Canon.... ain't no filler here...


I too was wondering if it a filler thanks to this post Rolling Eyes
It's in the manga though so it's not a real filler

So misleading....

Misleading is correct, but there is some question of "canon" based on your point of view.

The Martial Arts tournament was not in the original manga created by One. It was added in Yusuke Murata's adaptation. Therefore, Murata's tournament in the manga could be considered filler since it wasn't in the original manga. But, the anime is following Murata's manga it technically isn't filler. I don't consider it filler since this is an anime based on Murata's manga. But, if you think the show is an adaptation of One's original manga, then yes this is filler.
However, the updated visuals and art are clearly from Murata's work so, people shouldn't think that this anime is an adaptation of One's work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bleachj0j



Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 803
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
It's very obvious from context that "filler" meant, things are happening that don't matter and are just time distractions. People are quick to jump on something without thinking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#886170



Joined: 16 Aug 2018
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The Martial Arts Tournament arc is really a foil for the concurrent monster invasion, hence why the majority of the characters are sidelined and skipped over. Sparring in the ring is mirrored by actual threats outside, though that isn't portrayed in the most effective way. Even in alleged 'filler', the series has subverted a typical shounen trope yet again and proves why I enjoy it so much. Sadly that enjoyment is a little lessened thanks to the troubled production and direction (please, somebody just let a line of dialogue or a scene breathe, even for a few seconds) but I'm trying not to be too harsh on JC Staff. Overall, the Tournament may not have been present in the original webcomic, but it was written by ONE and added in Murata's adaptation and is certainly not traditional 'filler'; its disingenuous to call setup as such before it has had a chance to pay off.

Anyway, the reason I'm commenting on this column is because I find it insulting that you have staff review a series they clearly have no interest in nor understanding of. And to so brazenly admit that in a column? Yes, taste is subjective and sometimes it is better to have a more critical eye for a review, but surely ANN can do better than this. Every review is nearly a week late and consists of 3-4 paragraphs describing the events of an episode followed by a slovenly "Animation is lacking, 2.5 stars out of 5". Every week.
Up your standards. Please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bleachj0j



Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 803
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:47 pm Reply with quote
#886170 wrote:

Anyway, the reason I'm commenting on this column is because I find it insulting that you have staff review a series they clearly have no interest in nor understanding of. And to so brazenly admit that in a column?


One of them reads the manga, and even recommends it at the end. So not sure what else is needed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZODDGUTS



Joined: 27 Oct 2003
Posts: 598
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Never was a fan of Murata's new material that wasn't in the web comic. It does indeed feel like filler even when you read the manga. The pacing was bad and the anime also hurt by it too by staying true to the manga source. There's no sweet nice animation to make up for it this season, so it's just making things worse. Overall this season of OPM feels really weak all around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Number 6



Joined: 16 Sep 2016
Posts: 22
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I can certainly empathize with the feelings of no character development for Saitama after this arc and, therefore, that it was a waste of time. He has always been kinda dumb, that's why he was in C class in the first place. Logically, the best way to learn martial arts would have been with a teacher, meaning, Bang, but that was never an option for him. Maybe that could have been a little more entertaining.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Merida
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1866
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:19 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

So just to clear up this misconception: Yusuke Murata's One-Punch Man manga is not the original source material. While it's what the anime has emulated, the actual original is ONE's original webcomic, which went on hiatus for a considerable amount of time a few years after it started getting attention online.


But ONE is still writing the "remake" while Murata is the illustrator, so how is it less canon than the webcomics?

Anyhow, the tournament arc was probably added to give Saitama some screen time while avoiding him one-punching every monster and let the other heroes have some some action instead (before Saitama comes in and one-punches all the monsters)....and yeah, it didn't really work all that well for me either.

I'm still enjoying this show well enough, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Scion Drake



Joined: 25 Nov 2017
Posts: 355
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay I think calling Metal Bat Roman Reigns is going too far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group