• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Hero Academia: Two Heroes BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that the All Might Rising specials included in the Japanese home video weren't included with Funi's release Crying or Very sad
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
While there wasn't a special edition, per se, Wal*Mart did have a slip cover/o-card with a lenticular front, which is pretty neat. I think their DBS Broly movie had a lenticular cover too. Here's my pic of it:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv_xZdHBEKY/?igshid=xid9ksdpyvgt

-Marc.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
While I didn't love the film to the extent Nick did, I found Two Heroes to be an enjoyable enough return to a beloved series.

The visuals and fight choreography were fantastic and I definitely liked the extra attention paid to fan favorites. All Might's bond and backstory with Dave was pretty good, and I didn't find Melissa insufferable like so many tie-in film female characters which was awesome. She was demonstrably smart, kind, and had a clear goal of her own.

The plot was the weakest link for me; the villain was utterly forgettable and any attempts to shoehorn in a connection to All For One felt forced and laughable. That said, I appreciate the care with which Dave and Melissa were written and that Two Heroes offered a look into another facet of Horikoshi's world (an opportunity that is missed all too often with other anime/manga).

Overall a solid B+.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Meh, yet another forgettable anime filler movie for a franchise that imo is already pretty thoroughly uninteresting. Above average production values don't really change that.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Meh, yet another forgettable anime filler movie for a franchise that imo is already pretty thoroughly uninteresting. Above average production values don't really change that.

Gee why don't you focus all that time & energy on something genuinely productive.

Also the movie actually isn't filler, its canon.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:22 am Reply with quote

you should change your name
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:52 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the movie fine, but the best part was honestly just going to see it in a theater packed full of MHA fans. Just a really fun experience (especially since my crowd wasn't overly annoying throughout the film, just cheering at the more hype moments). Usually when I go to see anime films (Ghibli, lots of dramas, even the two Heaven's Feel films) in theaters its a thankfully much more quiet, respecting audience, but it kind of worked for this one.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
I enjoyed the movie fine, but the best part was honestly just going to see it in a theater packed full of MHA fans. Just a really fun experience (especially since my crowd wasn't overly annoying throughout the film, just cheering at the more hype moments). Usually when I go to see anime films (Ghibli, lots of dramas, even the two Heaven's Feel films) in theaters its a thankfully much more quiet, respecting audience, but it kind of worked for this one.

This was the first anime movie I've seen in a theater, and it ended up being a good experience. I was a bit worried that some of the rowdiness I saw in the lobby would carry on, but it didn't. About the only noise that happened was a crying baby, and their parent took the baby outside immediately, so I can't complain.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

Gee why don't you focus all that time & energy on something genuinely productive.

You'd be surprised how little effort it took to write that up.

And it being "canon" means nothing when nothing that happens in it will end up mattering to the overall story. Until the day any of it's ideas get followed up on, or just made relevant in any way in the source, it might as well be filler.

#Synaesthesia wrote:

No one is obligated to like the same things as you.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

And it being "canon" means nothing when nothing that happens in it will end up mattering to the overall story. Until the day any of it's ideas get followed up on, or just made relevant in any way in the source, it might as well be filler.

#Synaesthesia wrote:

Any time & effort spent on that is absolutely wasted time & effort no matter how minor it is.

Regardless of whether it matters or not, its still written by the author & canon plus its still a movie so not sure what your expecting from the story.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

#Synaesthesia wrote:

Any time & effort spent on that is absolutely wasted time & effort no matter how minor it is.

Regardless of whether it matters or not, its still written by the author & canon plus its still a movie so not sure what your expecting from the story.

I was never expecting anything from it, because having any expectations is an easy way to lead to disappointment.

And it would also be nice if Nick didn't try and send his twitter followers to harass me on here (not the reviewer, the other Nick that works here).
Mattafix888

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I watched the movie recently, while fun and enjoyable, it was a bit generic and predictable. Plot twists you totally see coming a mile off. It's pretty much a by the book shonen movie, doesn't mean it's a bad thing though.

Animation-wise the staff clearly focused on the climax fight. The intro was strong too and there was one cool scene with Bakugo and Todoroki in the middle. The rest felt like your average MHA episode.

The villain was quite weak and forgettable. Some moments were more dramatic than they should have been. That one Uraraka scene near the end coems to my mind. lol
There's one thing I absolutely hated. When characters had inner dialogue with each other and they understood what they were thinking. That's some galaxy brain shit.
Also, the main cast being supportive is fine and dandy. But there's no need to show everyone's reaction everytime.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
Looking at the current comments, I'm sure I'm gonna get a lot of hate on this but I honestly didn't like this movie all too much. I'm not really big on anime movies especially ones for mainstream shounen titles but I went to watch this in the theatres anyway because I just liked MHA way too much. Anyways, it was the first time I even watched an anime film in the theatres and I found the experience to be rather... disappointing.

First of all, you'd expect a movie to deliver a grand story on its own without relying all too much on what the series has already established but in just the first act of the movie, they put a recap that completely overstayed its welcome. Can you imagine going in to the theatres expecting to see something new and then they just straight up showed you a recap of the previous movie in the series for more than 5 minutes straight? Now, I understand that they want everyone (including people who've never even seen MHA before) watching the film to be on the same page but I think its unnecessary imo and a waste of runtime.

The action scenes are about as well as you'd expect if you've already seen the anime. But thats just the thing... you know its gonna be great so I'm not even all that impressed or surprised at that point. Its a weird thing to explain but I think this movie wasn't made to be shown on theatres. Its more of a home-video movie than anything and I probably would have enjoyed it more at home than sitting at the theaters for an hour and a half, thinking to myself why I spent $15 to watch this there. A lot of people including me were cringing at the scene where spoiler[Uraraka seemingly sacrificed herself to get Deku and Melissa afloat while she gets run over by the bots]. The familiar sad OST is playing the background and I just couldn't feel sad. What were the stakes in that scene? Its obvious she isn't gonna get killed by those bots so why all the over-the-top name screaming and OST?

Lastly.... the villain. MHA has a reputation for having insanely great villains with plenty of buildup and motivation to their schemes but this one is just... utterly forgettable. Heck, I've already forgotten his name so lets just call him Magneto for now. This guy's an utter joke because he can't carry the movie on his own as the main antagonist. It turns out spoiler[he's just another puppet being used by All For One] and a complete generic bad guy at that. Again, the movie is just relying on what the series has already established hence All For One appearance because they knew all too well that Magneto isn't all that great of a villain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1