• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega Reveals 12 More Games for 'Sega Genesis Mini' Console

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:29 am Reply with quote
The complete line-up of games is actually really good, it's a shame that some games are exclusive to the japanese and asian versions, and sadly Sonic 3 & Knuckles is not included, probably due to music rights. I hope I can get one when it launches where I live.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:38 am Reply with quote
The last round didn't have anything I was still holding out hope for, but some of those games that I played back in the day would involve licensing costs that weren't going to be worth it for this. Plus, the first three rounds had the games that I considered sufficient to convince me to buy it, so I can't be too disappointed. Having an extra couple of games added at the end is a nice bonus too.
Digi_Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
Hoping to see Virtua Racing added.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
If I didn't already have Rocket Knight Adventure on cartridge (thank you Value Village thrift stores), I'd be disappointed that it wasn't included, though I am disappointed for other people that it's not included. I am disappointed that the legendarily-expensive M.U.S.H.A. isn't included. On the other hand, it's nice that both Monster World IV and Alisia Dragoon are on there especially since they're both games with female protagonists. In that regard, I would have also liked to have seen Valis III, one of the best "Metroidvania" games on the Genesis, but perhaps the rights to Valis having been sold to a studio that retooled the franchise as hentai nixed whatever minimal chances any Valis game had in being included on the Genesis Mini.

Digi_Michael wrote:
Hoping to see Virtua Racing added.

It was very impressive that Sega was able to pull off Virtua Racing on the Genesis at all, but I didn't think they were going to emulate the extra SVP processor chip just for the one game that used it especially considering there are much better ways to play Virtua Racing including the recent Nintendo Switch port. Though they did include Virtua Fighter 2 (called "2" even though it only has the roster for the first game), but that port didn't even attempt to recreate the 3D graphics of the arcade, instead opting for 2D sprites.

ERRATUM: Watching gameplay videos, I think my "Valis III" memories might have actually been of Alisia Dragoon, though I'm sure I played both. (I remember the Valis III opening with Valis in her pajamas.) Also, both games appear to be linear and not "Metroidvania" like I falsely thought they were. Forgive me for not having completely accurate memories of games I rented 27 or 28 years ago. I'm happy Alisia Dragoon is included on the Genesis Mini but I'd happily buy Valis III if I saw it at Value Village or a flea market.

Does that mean there's a "Metroidvania"-style game on the Genesis that I rented back in the day which I'm conflating with both Alisia Dragoon and Valis III? I don't think it's Turrican, I'm pretty sure no rental places that existed in my area in the time (before Blockbuster expanded to Montreal) had it.

Last edited by Tenchi on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Pretty solid lineup, though think they need a six-button controller for this if they're including Street Fighter II and Eternal Champions with the mini-console. Three-button controller's a bit limiting for both games as they are more dependent on the six-button one for proper functionality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1