• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Astro Boy Reboot Project's Poster Unveils More Characters

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radrappy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
These western reboots are never any good.

Here's hoping this is more than just pretty. I can already see a lot of personality is being lost in the character design.s
Veniamin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
No Tezuka artstyle, no watch.
Octorockandroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Jesus christ that looks ugly. I'm a huge fan of French animation and obviously of anime but this just looks repulsive.
Shiyonasan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
A couple corrections in this article:

First, this poster was actually revealed on February 27, 2016 at the Monaco Anime Game International Conferences.

https://twitter.com/OlivierFallaix/status/703621342109802496

https://twitter.com/japanfm/status/703634612501794817

Second, the joint production between Nigeria and Tezuka Productions that aired on Channels TV actually came out in March 2014 and April 2014. The DVD for Little Astro Boy listed on Amazon Japan lists the initial air date as March 22, 2014:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ろぼっとアトム-DVD/dp/B00XTQZ6OM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432434033&sr=8-2&keywords=ロボットアトム

It'll be interesting to see where this series goes in its development. It sure is taking a while after having been announced in June 2014, but I'm sure they've got something good planned at Shibuya Productions.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
The Astro Boy CGI 2009 movie and the 2003 TV series reboot that I saw on Toonami looks way better than this.
stararnold

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The artwork looks very good (at least in my opinion), even though there's no resemblance to Osamu Tezuka's manga work. I so want to watch this.

As for all you anime purists who are always like "no good ever comes out of anime being westernized in any way", be happy Japan is co-producing this new animated series. Therefore, it's not entirely a western product.
Radrappy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
The artwork looks very good (at least in my opinion), even though there's no resemblance to Osamu Tezuka's manga work. I so want to watch this.

As for all you anime purists who are always like "no good ever comes out of anime being westernized in any way", be happy Japan is co-producing this new animated series. Therefore, it's not entirely a western product.

It's not about being a Purist, it's about how the flavor of the original has been completely discarded.

It can go both ways too. A good example is PPGZ.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, it is also made by a French company so I'm not gonna expect it to be totally like the original.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Radrappy wrote:

Here's hoping this is more than just pretty. I can already see a lot of personality is being lost in the character design.s

Japan is co-producing it.

To the people complaining about the designs, we said the same thing about "Transformers: Animated" and "Spectacular Spider-Man," and those shows are considered one of the best adaptations of their respective franchises.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
This looks... bad.

Has any of the three original Tetsuwan Atom series been released subbed? I can't seem to find any evidence of it.

It's a shame that the only access to the originals are hacked up and dubbed versions.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Suddenly I'm getting a 'Life of a Teenage Robot' feel.
Well, well see how this is going to go. Looks interesting, somewhat retro, colorful. Hmm...
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Radrappy wrote:

I wonder if part of the problem is because most western adaptions are based off heavily localized versions of anime. Voltron, Speed Racer, and Astroboy were heavily localized and censored dubs, and all the Western adaptions were based on those versions. So people expecting Tetsuwon Atom out of an Astroboy adaption will be disappointed. I'm not a fan of Flash animation so I think this will be bad from the get-go. The Powerpuff Girls and Teen Titans reboot suffer from the same problem of cheap animation and those were originally western properties.

I would rather have an anime adaption of Pluto myself.
Octorockandroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:

I'm certainly no anime purist. I love french animation; I adore Code Lyoko, Dofus, Spiro et Fantasio and tons more. Plus I loved Panty and Stocking and that was an anime with almost no resemblance to typical anime artstyles. You can disagree with my opinion all you like but there's not a chance in hell you can call me an "anime purist"
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I see the definition of insanity in full play.
Octorockandroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:

I'm certainly no anime purist. I love french animation; I adore Code Lyoko, Dofus, Spirou et Fantasio and tons more. Plus I loved Panty and Stocking and that was an anime with almost no resemblance to typical anime artstyles. You can disagree with my opinion all you like but there's not a chance in hell you can call me an "anime purist"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3