• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Isekai Cheat Magician (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:50 am Reply with quote

Isekai Cheat Magician

Genres: Action, Adventure, Fantasy

Plot Summary: Taichi Nishimura and his friend Rin Azuma both get transported into a fantasy world. While in their previous world, Taichi is a normal person who just has higher than average reflexes, both he and Rin gain high levels of physical and magical ability, and begin their new life as magicians.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LN adaptation of the same name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Did I miss the part when these two totally average Japanese teenagers came to a fantasy world, showed absolutely no power potential, rather getting attacked and mostly being in danger rather than able to do anything, and yet their number one task had to be to become adventurers? I know that it is a mainstay of the isekai genre, but why would two totally weak modern day kids choose to put themselves into some sort of danger like that? Most examples of the genre have their potential revealed so the chance to make their way is logical that way, or they have been pushed into the role by whoever brought them to that world, or a goal they have to reach. Their grand power seems to have only been revealed after they decided to become something they had no idea they would be good at

That is some of the laziest writing I have seen for something like that. Could the writer not think what average teenagers would think, like going for some way to feed themselves that does not rely on powers they have no idea that they have? Sure Subaru thinks he has great powers as soon as he gets to a fantasy world, but after no awesome power shooting out of his hands he sticks to something a mundane person can do. Kazuma and Aqua even have the need to become adventurers but spend a good amount of time doing manual labour.

I don't want to be super negative, because I kind of have a spot for isekai, but god damn it has not started off strong.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

And so ends the most generic isekai anime I have ever seen. How much do I even want to talk about it? The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar is still worse, despite cheat magician feeling more generic, and honestly feels like a bit of a chore to try and recount what happened. I am still hung up by the first episode that gave no explanation why these kids wanted to be adventurers, and this was followed by revealing that they are totally OP with magic potential. She could use every magic element, having three being already something rare, and he being unquantifiable because he could summon spirits and use their power, really it feeling like the author really wanted to use the magic system they came up with.

And although they are over powered with their abilities, it does not quite feel like the cheat that the main character keeps calling it, it does not really cover the fact that they are over powered in the ways of allies, and simultaneously feel like idiots and just instant geniuses. Like a late conflict in the show had Taichi challenged by a villain who played dirty earlier and should totally be stopped under all methods, and Taichi freaking follows instructions in the duel to drink some mysterious potion that he is promised by the bad guy that it would equal out natural abilities. I think the villain was threatening to blow people up or something, but there was no reason for the hero to listen to a villain as to poison himself, when beating said villain should have not been difficult. Said villain I think was shown in a positive light in the end, despite not excusing crimes at all. This against the other times they are super competent at everything for no reason. But nothing that felt like the sort of cheats you see in other series. No magic phone that can do anything, no working off of a different system that others cannot match, no bending of reality or time. Just feels like generic over powered.

I say that it was way too generic, but perhaps had one interesting thing, the childhood friend Rin, Isekai being rare to have someone join them, their main love interest at that. But maybe the more so would have been just her character as a girl, who ends up in the generic isekai world, and adapts by apparently applying the studious hard work part. Can't be sure, but I kind of think that the show might have been interesting or better if it was just her. Her application of science to magic was not horrible, what struggle she had felt okay, and her being gal pals with generic elf and generic hot master wizard woman, might have even been decent over just given roles of fanservice or love interest. But her character feels like made so much more bland by being given role of childhood friend, who is competent, but also be saved by the main character. I wonder if it is worth thinking the author could have made something more interesting if he backed off from including the insert character of Taichi, reassess Rin's character to not be around a guy, and maybe have what Rin could offer with science mind. But I also know these stories are often made to just be insert stories for boys.

I just want to be done with this, I doubt that I am going to remember anything from it. Did I forget to say the main character got a pet fairy girl spirit thing with the most boring and uninteresting cute personality, and a big part of the last episode was something about her being a not really who she is but queen of the spirits, and they were all worried about her being different despite looking no different from a bigger version and something about personalities fused. What personality were they worried about losing?

I am done. Rating is Weak (3/10), wished I did something better with my time, and every not bad part about it kind of feels like another reason to actually not like it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
I held out through the battle for the town and fairy arrival.

As a Crunchyroll viewer memorably noted:

"This is the most [expletive] clisay sh!t I have ever seen"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
*Tuor looks at the clock on his wall*. Oh... I guess 24 minutes have passed and the last episode is done now. What happened? Uh... well, I'm sure something happened. Yeah... something about a fairy and something about magic and, uh... credits rolled?

Well, like DuskyPredator, the only thing that I had any interest in at all was the relationship between the main characters. Was it worth suffering through this whole series? No, but I did it anyway because that sort of thing is so rare in these kinds of shows. I gave this show a 4/10, and I thought I was being generous.

While not an actively painful experience, there really isn't any point in watching this series.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:43 am Reply with quote
Htey, Dusky, does ,el Hazard` rings anything for you? Smile Ist Ages old, but i think it was a bit better than this stuff. Only Interesting Figure for me was the Elf Girl ^^. I would even pick Isekai Smartphone over that Series here..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1