• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Serial Experiment Lain Goes 'Open Source' In Japan Until 2028

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhys2753

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Experiments*
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Being Japan only, I have high hopes that people remain respectful and adult and don't spoil things for everyone else. If were the US... Shocked
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
They're giving away any claim on derivative works... which means they're allowing fan art and stuff. That's very kind of them but allowing fan art is not "open sourcing".
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Being Japan only, I have high hopes that people remain respectful and adult and don't spoil things for everyone else. If were the US... Shocked

Of course, knowing Japan, it's going to mean doujins of Lain getting... well, I don't think I need to spell it out. Maybe being niche and being an old series that the otaku are not super into will protect it.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
They're giving away any claim on derivative works... which means they're allowing fan art and stuff. That's very kind of them but allowing fan art is not "open sourcing".

It's a joke on the series' themes.
meruru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Upon reading the title, I thought maybe they were allowing for repurposing footage for derivative works, but then the article says it has to be originally produced works. I'm kinda failing to see how this is different than the current state, which is they'll look the other way for doujin, as long as you only sell a very limited run.

As far as I know, Lain may even be more known in anime circles outside Japan than inside Japan, as it was one of the ones that got an early license, and had the right kind of appeal. I've never seen official Japanese merch of it anyways.
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:09 pm Reply with quote
This has sadly nothing to do with open source, whether in form or spirit.
Uraraka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Yasuyuki Ueda, who is responsible for the Lain's open source project, said the following regarding the usage outside Japan on Twitter:
"This time, I consulted with legal to deal with unforeseen problems, and I made it domestic only. Overseas, there is also a problem with rights and it is not impossible, but it seems that it takes time to make adjustments."(Google translated)
https://twitter.com/uedayasuyuki/status/1148643735216898048

He said "it is not impossible, but it seems that it takes time," so, there is still a chance that the open source may be applied to the overseas.
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

Of course, knowing Japan, it's going to mean doujins of Lain getting... well, I don't think I need to spell it out. Maybe being niche and being an old series that the otaku are not super into will protect it.

I mean, you could've made doujinshi of Lain before, it's not like Fate is open source yet it has plenty of doujinshi.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:27 am Reply with quote
Uraraka wrote:
Yasuyuki Ueda, who is responsible for the Lain's open source project, said the following regarding the usage outside Japan on Twitter:
"This time, I consulted with legal to deal with unforeseen problems, and I made it domestic only. Overseas, there is also a problem with rights and it is not impossible, but it seems that it takes time to make adjustments."(Google translated)
https://twitter.com/uedayasuyuki/status/1148643735216898048

He said "it is not impossible, but it seems that it takes time," so, there is still a chance that the open source may be applied to the overseas.

At least he is trying to help get overseas rights! Good for him taking that initiative!
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:46 am Reply with quote
Wait a minute. Serial Experiments:Lain is owned by NBC? I mean, it's better than Disney, but what the hell? It's not as if it is popular or Dragonball/One Punch/One Piece/Pokemon/Sailor Moon marketable. It's a cult following show like The Prisoner (in the same league, even) that requires a hefty dose of cerebral mechanics just to scope out properly. Why would NBC be owning the right to it? That's like Microsoft suddenly showing great interest in the works of Ralph Bakshi. WTF? My brain spins.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:50 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Yes, it is, in a sense (probably a legal one, where it counts) creating an open source doctrine around the copyright of the prior art. New works in any way related to SE:L will not face prosecution. From a corporate standpoint, this is almost revolutionary behavior. Almost as if the students had descended from the barracades and entered the board room for tea and scones.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:57 am Reply with quote
How about throwing in Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze? No? Maybe later? A very nice trend could be starting here. Ergo Proxy would be good, also. And Wolf's Rain.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
As far as what Japan can do with material, here is 1 idea: putting the SEL characters on a movie poster for a public domain film.
Schaef Dogg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:30 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Wait a minute. Serial Experiments:Lain is owned by NBC?

NBC Japan, yes. Geneon (previously Pioneer) merged with Universal Japan in 2009 to become Geneon Universal Entertainment Japan, and renamed to NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan in 2013. Any time NBC Universal is mentioned in ANN articles it is usually referring to the Japanese unit. Article probably should have linked to this encyclopedia entry instead of the American NBC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2