Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Weathering With You

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
So it's basically a typical Shinkai film that bites off more than it can chew and suffers for it. Not surprised. He really tries to go big when he doesn't really need to.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I might just see it for the weather. Seriously, Makoto Shinkai loves rain, and my favorite part of Garden of Words was how utterly beautiful it was. Every drop sparkled and/or otherwise added atmosphere to a stunning garden landscape. Otherwise, I’ve found the plot and characters in most of his movies either bland or hard to grasp (I’m still not sure what The Place Promised in Our Early Days was about, and 5 CM Per Second was too melancholy for my tastes).

One concern: this movie has so many elements, it sounds like it has a very long runtime (I may be a minority opinion, but I thought Your Name. was a tad too long, although otherwise very good). Is Weathering with You longer than Your Name?
Frog-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
One concern: this movie has so many elements, it sounds like it has a very long runtime (I may be a minority opinion, but I thought Your Name. was a tad too long, although otherwise very good). Is Weathering with You longer than Your Name?

According to ANN's database Weathering With You is six minutes longer than Your Name.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
I wonder when Funimation/Toho will announce an US wide release
Vannil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
I wonder when Funimation/Toho will announce an US wide release

GKIDS has the license and will release next year

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-05-23/gkids-licenses-shinkai-weathering-with-you-film-for-early-2020-screening/.147022
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
Just attended a screening of Weathering with You in Tokyo (not at Toho Shinjuku which appears in the movie). I can only vaguely follow spoken Japanese so some of the story was lost on me.

It didn't feel as connected as Your Name, which I also first saw in Japan as a Japanese language only screening. I will get to a screening in Australia before commenting further.
egozi14

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:01 am Reply with quote
The review just gave my thought on the overrated Your Name,

YN had a nice plot that got mixed up with another sub plot that felt unneeded and had a lot of holes, the characters don't act like themselves near the end (MC also lose it, but in the bad kind of way that you can imagine someone losing it),
Also the OST felt to me like meh, as if it not fit to what I see on the screen, guess it didn't effected me too much too cause 5 mins after the movie ended I didn't recall it in my head which never really happened to me before,

Speaking on endings, when YN ended I for the first time didn't felt like I gain something from watching this film, each Japanese movie I've watched so far always gave me some good feeling or a lesson, but not YN, I felt really disappointed with this film, Most of my friends and people I know felt the same but still scored the movie high cause of social anxiety which made me really hate how people lies when it come to this overrated film, even the director himself told people to not watch it cause he didn't like the end result (but changed his mind after he saw many people liked it),

I have hard time to believe YN was really that good for most of the people who scored it that high, for me it was just empty husk that had the amazing look but not any plot or characters that worth to be remember in my brain cell, look alone is NOT everything
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1