• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyodo: Police Have Identified All 34 Victims Who Died in Kyoto Animation Fire, Have Not Yet Re

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:35 am Reply with quote
Thoughts and prayers for the victims and their grieving loved ones. Can only hope the studio and donations assist them in the financial burden of medical and lost current and future wages through this trying times
fencer_x

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:08 am Reply with quote
I'm slightly confused; at least two of the victims' names HAVE been released--I don't recall the names precisely, but someone on my twitter timeline posted a condolences tweet, along with a link to their ANN page here that listed their date of death as the date of the fire (and as all of their works were KyoAni works, I'm assuming it was not a coincidence).

Have some names been released through other sources, in that case?
juusee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:16 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
I'm slightly confused; at least two of the victims' names HAVE been released--I don't recall the names precisely, but someone on my twitter timeline posted a condolences tweet, along with a link to their ANN page here that listed their date of death as the date of the fire (and as all of their works were KyoAni works, I'm assuming it was not a coincidence).

The identities of several victims were released by their relatives or close friends who confirmed their deaths.
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:35 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:

juusee wrote:
fencer_x wrote:

The identities of several victims were released by their relatives or close friends who confirmed their deaths.

Naomi Ishida is one of them. Her ANN encyclopedia page has indeed been updated with the date of her death, so I don't know why they haven't reported it yet. If they're waiting for an official source, I don't think you'll get a better source than her parents themselves: https://mainichi.jp/articles/20190724/k00/00m/040/353000c
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:42 am Reply with quote
In this I believe ANN is being properly respectful by taking their cues from Kyoto Animation's own approach and rightly allowing the families time to grieve. Our desire to know everything right now does not override this.

Mark Gosdin
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:12 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
In this I believe ANN is being properly respectful by taking their cues from Kyoto Animation's own approach and rightly allowing the families time to grieve. Our desire to know everything right now does not override this.

Mark Gosdin

The families were the ones who released the two names so far, so it's not disrespectful to name them. Naomi Ishida and Sachie Tsuda. Both legends that have done amazing work for all of us and brought joy to millions. May they rest in peace.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
I'm slightly confused; at least two of the victims' names HAVE been released--

3 Names have been floated around.
1 is confirmed dead by their family, an article is in the works.
2 are reported as missing (one by family, and the other I do not recall), and people reporting them as dead on Twitter is exactly why ANN hasn't published their names.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Yasuhiro Takemoto has been confirmed dead by his family;
https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO47859060W9A720C1AC8000/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1