Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel II. lost butterfly BD


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Merxamers



Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 685
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Watching this film was the emotional equivalent of being under a waterfall for 2 hours. I’ve never come out of a theater feeling like I did after this one, like I’d been run through a gauntlet of every conceivable emotion possible. This was a very good film, even more impressive in its adaptation choices (many of the more adult elements could have come off as laughable, if not handled with such a delicate touch). One of the best anime films I’ve ever seen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pharmboy23
Get off my lawn!Get off my lawn!


Joined: 05 Oct 2018
Posts: 156
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Mmm, really enjoyed this when I caught it in theatres, as well. Minus the younger people who couldn’t handle the more adult stuff without snickering, but I was very fond of it. I do love the Fate lore, even though my experience is strictly with the main series.

I’m hoping the coronavirus clears off enough that the double feature of the first two movies makes it to theatres at the end of April...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 4727
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:32 pm Reply with quote
pharmboy23 wrote:
Mmm, really enjoyed this when I caught it in theaters, as well. Minus the younger people who couldn’t handle the more adult stuff without snickering, but I was very fond of it. I do love the Fate lore, even though my experience is strictly with the main series.


IMO the "main series" is far and away the best FATE there is.

Quote:
I’m hoping the coronavirus clears off enough that the double feature of the first two movies makes it to theaters at the end of April...


VERY unlikely that COVID-19 will "Clear off", at all, in the US any time soon. Most of the country still seems to be pretending it doesn't even exist. Experts are saying it's likely to hit 70-150 million Americans before we're done with it, and if we're lucky it will ONLY kill 1% of those...which is a massive 1.5 million Americans Unfortunately, all data so far suggests 3-4% mortality rate.. As great as it would be to see this in theaters, I honestly think even the third movie's theatrical release should be post-poned. It would be very irresponsible of Aniplex and Fathom allow these screenings to proceed. We really really need to start taking this a lot more seriously.


More on topic, I assume the US release is literally the same rip as the JP release given it's Aniplex? Is there any reason to buy the US version over the JP version if I don't care about dubs? The JP version has ENG subs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cookiemanstah



Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 163
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:37 pm Reply with quote
it varies from person but i remember the editorial on this site getting alot of kicks mocking the crap out of UBW and Fate routes for shitty writing. Is this the best route by comparison? I mean, a lot of people mock UBW and Fate but this storyline is comparatively praised a lot even in its original form.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragon695



Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 1342
Location: Clemson, SC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I’m sorry, but the sex scene was laughable and deserved to be mocked. The erotic aspects of Fate have always been bottom-tier fanfic garbage. Maybe I’m biased because I think Sakura is the worst written character of the 3 heroines and obviously not even close to my favorite. The emotional impact will vary I guess depending on how you feel about Sakura. I felt the movie was B- not on technical merit, but rather because they are rushing through the route with the most significance story-wise.

cookiemanstah wrote:
it varies from person but i remember the editorial on this site getting alot of kicks mocking the crap out of UBW and Fate routes for shitty writing. Is this the best route by comparison? I mean, a lot of people mock UBW and Fate but this storyline is comparatively praised a lot even in its original form.


I don’t think the writing (overall) is any better than the other routes, but HF is basically where most of the plot-lines and lingering questions about lore get answered. Especially when it comes to the nature of the Grail War, the Grails, and the powers behind them. In that sense, it is better written because it leaves you satisfactory answers for the most part. The rest is covered in F/Z as Rebecca mentions. But, as I mentioned, it depends on how you view Sakura since this is her route.

I remember long ago on 4chan someone posted a translation of some throwaway comment from Urobuchi lamenting that “Mind of Steel” wasn’t the True End for HF. It was probably a joke, but I couldn’t agree more.


Last edited by dragon695 on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maximilianjenus



Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 2156
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a child of the Matoh family, and the one with stronger mage blood than her older brother Shinji, the ostensible heir, Sakura has been subjected to a lifelong litany of the ways that she is “inferior” and “impure.”


Which made me pretty happy when I found out that Sakura is Sakura Edelfelt in the apocrypha time line.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OtherSideofSky



Joined: 19 May 2016
Posts: 68
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Is this the same US BD that came out last November? If not, what's different about it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kisuke525



Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 107
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
it varies from person but i remember the editorial on this site getting alot of kicks mocking the crap out of UBW and Fate routes for shitty writing. Is this the best route by comparison? I mean, a lot of people mock UBW and Fate but this storyline is comparatively praised a lot even in its original form.


When you say that the editorial and other people mocked UBW and Fate do you mean their anime adaptations or their VN routes? All of the routes in the VN are damn good so if that's what they were talking about I'm honestly confused. As for the anime adaptations I would still only agree on the Fate route being bad, because it's disappointing in many ways. UBW on the other hand is pretty great overall. From a technical standpoint it's amazing, but from a writing standpoint, while solid, is a bit disappointing at times because it's missing things from the VN. UBW is also supposed read/watched after reading/watching the Fate route because without it you're missing information that you're expected to have. Unfortunately the anime adaptation of the Fate route is kind of a mess so watching it doesn't really end up helping much in the end.

As for Heaven's Feel being the best route, it really depends on the person. All of the routes have a different feel and focus, so some people might like one route over the other for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the writing. Now if we're talking about this from a popularity standpoint then Heaven's Feel is the most popular in the English community as far as I'm aware. Personally speaking I also find Heaven's Feel to be the best route as well. Unfortunately the movie is kinda rushed so if you aren't a VN reader it might be less enjoyable.

Anyway, I would take what the editorial says on this site with a grain of salt. They're just one small group of people whose opinions have no more value than anyone else's. And if I'm being honest, some of the reviewers on this site seem like they're only half paying attention to whatever they're watching/reading some of the time based on some of the things I read in the reviews on here. Of course that could be for a multitude of reasons that might not neccesarily be their fault so I don't mean to hate or anything. My advice is always read the comments on a review if you want a better understanding of the quality of a series, because if there's an error or misunderstanding in the review it's often pointed out.

Hopefully I don't get in trouble for some of the things I said in that last part lol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sisyphusson66



Joined: 04 Dec 2018
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to seeing these films once the third is released. While not my favorite arc from the VN (I thought that the Shirou/Sakura relationship was not great, and in some ways uncomfortable, and there was not enough from Rin's perspective on Sakura), Heaven's Feel has easily the best climax of the arcs. Heaven's Feel is about family and familial relationships, and I hope the trilogy does them justice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doubleO7



Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 984
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
Is this the same US BD that came out last November? If not, what's different about it?


It is the same. The home video release of the movie didn't get reviewed right when it came out. It seems they finally got around to it (which, admittedly, wasn't too pressing since a separate review of the theatrical release already exists).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 1137
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, this is the second of three films adapting the third of three routes from the original visual novel, and that means that familiarity with those other pieces is highly recommended. Knowing the events of Fate/Zero will also be helpful, although it's not strictly necessary, as the pertinent information from it originates in this arc.

Here's something I came to realize, and I may be in the minority of this argument--but I think the Heaven's Feel trilogy totally works as a direct sequel to Fate/Zero. If you watch Fate/Zero first in its entirety, and then Heaven's Feel right afterwards, you likely won't be lost on most things, since you were already made clear on generally who Rin, Sakura, Illya and Gilgamesh are from their introduction in Zero. When watching the opening-credits montage of the first movie it is just a matter of putting pieces together, and the narrative elements that didn't seem clear upon first viewing make better sense after a rewatch. In my opinion, the only thing the Heaven's Feel trilogy isn't clear on by itself (without help from research on the source material) are the true identities of all the servants, but apparently you can't always have it all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FilthyCasual



Joined: 01 Jun 2015
Posts: 1375
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
noses sometimes disappear in the artwork.
...I can't even be mad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GeorgeC



Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 787
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I’m hoping the coronavirus clears off enough that the double feature of the first two movies makes it to theaters at the end of April...


VERY unlikely that COVID-19 will "Clear off", at all, in the US any time soon. Most of the country still seems to be pretending it doesn't even exist. Experts are saying it's likely to hit 70-150 million Americans before we're done with it, and if we're lucky it will ONLY kill 1% of those...which is a massive 1.5 million Americans Unfortunately, all data so far suggests 3-4% mortality rate.. As great as it would be to see this in theaters, I honestly think even the third movie's theatrical release should be post-poned. It would be very irresponsible of Aniplex and Fathom allow these screenings to proceed. We really really need to start taking this a lot more seriously.
[/quote]

Speak for yourself -- people are taking this VERY seriously.
I would speak my mind on what I think of the crisis but all we can judge by is what the authorities are telling us. I have reasons to be skeptical of their claims but at the same time I wouldn't take unnecessary chances and just try to live my normal routine.

Other people do need to step up their hygiene and be far more pro-active. Those are the people who are more risk AND putting other people at risk to begin with!

You must live in a VERY isolated part of the US then because I can assure you many big cities in the US are experiencing shortages of basics like toilet paper and water already! The canned food sections at many supermarkets are half-empty or better, too.

Not to mention most local schools and colleges are closed for at least the next 2-3 weeks. They extended spring break for at least one week at the college I graduated from and asked students NOT to come back to campus if possible (unless there were physical reasons they couldn't go home) and to take the coursework online.

Speak for yourself -- people are taking this VERY seriously.
They cancelled a lot of conventions and closed several theme parks for at least the next month. The cruise lines are shut down. Freaking DisneyWorld and Disneyland are closing by the end of this week!
Again, WHERE have you been to say people are not taking this seriously?!?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Princess_Irene



Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 1857
Location: The castle beyond the Goblin City
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:26 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

Here's something I came to realize, and I may be in the minority of this argument--but I think the Heaven's Feel trilogy totally works as a direct sequel to Fate/Zero.


I actually agree with you - in the main, I think it functions really well as a Fate/Zero sequel because Sakura's issues stem directly from actions taken during that grail war. I didn't feel entirely comfortable saying that you can skip F/SN and UBW if you've seen F/Z, though, simply because I haven't tried watching this without them, if that makes sense.

Sisyphusson66 wrote:
(I thought that the Shirou/Sakura relationship was not great, and in some ways uncomfortable, and there was not enough from Rin's perspective on Sakura)


Yeah, there's an unfortunate codependency aspect to it that I'm not thrilled with and that is lacking from both Rin and Saber's routes. (I'm a Rin fan, personally.) It makes sense given what Sakura's gone through - the Matohs took away her entire sense of self and she got zero positive reinforcement at home, making Shiro that much more attractive to her - but it's still a problem from a romance perspective.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pharmboy23
Get off my lawn!Get off my lawn!


Joined: 05 Oct 2018
Posts: 156
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(I'm a Rin fan, personally.)


Yup. I don’t think I would like Fate half as much as I do if I hadn’t watched UBW first and the original second. In addition to the better animation, Rin has agency and personality to spare, well beyond your typical love interest, and it’s stamped all over UBW.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group