• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Moonlight Moratorium GN 1 (ebook)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I don’t really agree with putting Tomo-chan in the same category unless you’ve only read the first volume or so. Sure, the premise of “my male friend and crush can’t see me as a girl because I’m a tomboy so I need to be more girly for him to be attracted to me” does seem really wrong but that’s just the initial premise that the series goes out of its way to point out isn’t true. At all. spoiler[ He’s liked her since long before she started to try to be more feminine, her friend that told her to do it in the first place gave purposely bad advice since she knew he liked Tomo back and didn’t want them to get together yet, even points out Tomo probably doesn’t really believe it either but isn’t the kind of person to ignore advice from her best friend, she’s still the same tomboy after they start going out and when she does still occasionally dress up more feminine after that it’s because she wants to and wants the reaction from him, not because she feels she has to in order to be attractive.]
Sorry, a bit of a ramble but it’s a really cute series and it sucks that people just read the beginning and label it as sexist and problematic for a premise the series goes out of its way to point out is not in any way true. This series, on the other hand, does sound genuinely iffy. I don’t think you say, but do the guys (outside of the one you specifically call out) know he considers himself male? Because if he tells them he’s a guy and they just say, “Well, your opinion doesn’t matter here. You have boobs, so commence with the harem!” then . . . yeah, that’s kind of yikes.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to set you off! Tomo-chan is a Girl is one of my current favorite series, and by volume six (and getting Jun's perspective) it's really taken off. It's sweet and funny and does very quickly overcome what turns people off.

I mentioned it because some people do find it troubling, and if that series bothers them, then they want to stay far away from this one. And yes, the guys do all know the protagonist considers himself male, but that doesn't stop one of them from spoiler[forcing him into a dress and a wig] and the end of the volume.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:33 am Reply with quote
@Princess_Irene

The involuntary change of physical sex is not that uncommon in manga, especially played for laughs. It goes back to at least Ranma 1/2 that I know of. I think much of the humor comes from the idea that teen aged boys are so horrified at the concept. They often have the idea that just being male makes them special and losing that is seen as a form of karma. Of course people are much more sensitive these days.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:36 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Of course people are much more sensitive these days.

I thought about that a lot as I was reading this. Ranma 1/2 was one of my first manga, and I remember the vague, titillated horror when Futaba-kun Change came out and took the concept farther (that probably only goes for my neck of the woods, but still). Titles like Kedamono Damono play it even sillier, although I do recall that one feeling like it was pushing a few boundaries.

But mostly, I think, the issue is in the part of your post I quoted - these days. I doubt if this title would have caused much stir ten years ago, or rather, that many people would have listened if someone said it was uncomfortable in its treatment of gender. But for a title originally published in 2018, it feels tone-deaf, or at least like a poor choice for an English translation.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:03 pm Reply with quote
As to those who might be upset by the book's premise, I feel fair warning is the best they can get. You can't please everyone all the time with out having nothing of substance left. I don't think publishing this is that "tone deaf". It most likely has enough of an audience out there that it can be successful. From your description, it doesn't sound that obnoxious, just not for everyone.

I found it interesting that you came up with different examples. My first thought beyond Ranma 1/2 was of The Day of Revolution, by the artist behind Love Stage. That has a substantial crossover with Princess, Princess. Also Your and My Secret which involves a body swap where both are probably more suited for the new sex but are concerned about living someone else's life. You could probably also throw Pretty Face into the mix. Heck, even the highly regarded Your Name involves involuntary sex change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1