• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega Unveils Game Gear Micro Handheld System

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3ngag3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:35 pm Reply with quote
And it will still require 8 AA batteries and only last 30 minutes.

But in all seriousness, why didn't this happen a long time ago? Once we saw the mini consoles come out, this surely must have been high up on the fan request list, right?
Tokimemofan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Trying to think of a compelling list of games that doesn’t include excessive numbers of master system ports. The game gear library was rather thin.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:53 pm Reply with quote
As a HUGE Lunar fan id buy it in a instant of they have walking school on it. who cares if i screw up my eyes even worse playing on a screen that small, it would be worth for that game Razz
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:02 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:

But in all seriousness, why didn't this happen a long time ago? Once we saw the mini consoles come out, this surely must have been high up on the fan request list, right?

That little thing looks like it needs one.

That is a good question. I get trying to do a Saturn mini would be a programming nightmare, but the Game Gear seems simple enough.
WhosAsking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:

I used to have one. It took six, not eight. And the 30 minutes probably depended on the quality of the battery. I recall, using some good Duracells, I could get a good two hours on it.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:29 am Reply with quote
Well, I would never be able to play that. My hands are too big and strong
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:11 am Reply with quote
WhosAsking wrote:
3ngag3 wrote:

I used to have one. It took six, not eight. And the 30 minutes probably depended on the quality of the battery. I recall, using some good Duracells, I could get a good two hours on it.
I had rechargeable batteries, I know they don't last as long on a full charge, but they lasted long enough. If you still had one today it would last a very long time as batteries last longer now.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:12 am Reply with quote
It seems that SEGA took the concept of a mini console way too far, it looks cute as a novelty item but the size is even smaller than a Game Boy micro, I think it would've been better if it was the size of the original Game Boy Advance. Also the selection of games is too small, there're only first party titles (including Atlus, which SEGA acquired a few years ago), and heavy text games like RPGs in such a tiny screen is going to make reading a nightmare.
Now, if this is successful, perhaps Nintendo can make a mini Game Boy but in the size of a Game Boy pocket, maybe with some original Game Boy games but in color.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:44 am Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:

Considering how not very beloved the original game gear was at the time?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:41 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Considering how not very beloved the original game gear was at the time?

Time heals all wounds apparently.

Honestly what these things need are a keychain given the size.
AnimeFanGirlForever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow that game console is so tiny. I don't think I would ever be able to play that console my hands are bigger than that device
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I actually like the size and form factor, but having to collect 'em all to get all the games sucks.

The Game Gear has some good stuff on it and some really great stuff if you include more Japanese games, but unfortunately quite a few of those are not officially translated, so I wonder what the US line up is gonna look like.

I'm glad to see Royal Stone gets a place of honor though, that's a wonderful game (and only fan translated!)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I had a Game Gear as a kid and would love to own this but it seems a bit pricey and you have to buy it like four different times to get all the games they're offering. And I don't understand why they're making it so tiny.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:58 am Reply with quote
Uh... so who is this greedy product for?
-No good as a catalogue of retro games because it includes pretty much nothing.
-No good as a console because the screen is just so dang tiny it's pretty much impossible/unhealthy to play (rest is fine-ish, just 2cm narrower than a GB Micro)
-No good as a miniature because to make it useable it doesn't accurately look like a Game Gear anymore.
So basically it does nothing of what a mini retro console is supposed to do. How did we go from the great Mega Drive Mini to this?

But hey, if being nothing but issues isn't a problem for you and money is burning a hole through your pocket so much you're willing to buy all models, for just 100 more bucks you get a cheap magnifier!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:49 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Time heals all wounds apparently.

Hmmm so that means there’s a shot for them to make mini consoles of the Jaguar and 3D0.

Yuvelir wrote:

So basically it does nothing of what a mini retro console is supposed to do. How did we go from the great Mega Drive Mini to this?

Didn’t the Genesis Mini have audio issues.....which comically enough was one of the same problems with ATGame’s Sega products?

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2