• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Caligula TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see more forgotten titles streaming on Crunchyroll getting disc releases.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Caligula is a weird one. Almost universally disliked. Not hated, just disliked. I didn't think there was any demand for it
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly I don't care for much of their Crunchyroll-licensed titles but with that said, if Caligula's one of theirs (meaning CR has home video rights), this may open the door for other Pony Canyon titles that they have full rights for. I wouldn't mind a disc release for Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis despite the show's issues (3DCG & being a sequel of the 2006 show that we never got here).

Also interesting to see Lamune & 40 Fire get released before Japan (as the first series came out here 2 months after Japan's SD Blu-ray Box) and glad they included Fresh after the DVD-only release it got last year. I'll probably pick up both sets along with all of Crusher Joe.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I probably won't purchase Caligula, but I did enjoy the show even and have recently contemplated watching it again. I'm grateful to it for firmly putting Ueda Reina into the forefront of female seiyuu I keep an eye out for.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I remember lamenting just a few years ago that NG Lamune & 40 would probably never be translated in full - and here we are now, with every series accounted for. Thanks again, Discotek! :)
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Caligula? Enjoy that everyone...Else. Discotek announced...COMBATTLER V! August 25th. I can never get enough Super Robot Slugfests! Maybe...Grendizer or Getter Robo And Getter Robo G aka Jim Terry’s Starvengers! I realize I am dating myself. Does anyone remember...Spotlight? One of Cable’s first commercial free movie channels. Force Five, Godzilla, live action Shorts and movies like Ringo Starr’s Caveman And Saturday the 14th airing 3 times in one day.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:36 pm Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
Caligula? Enjoy that everyone...Else. Discotek announced...COMBATTLER V! August 25th. I can never get enough Super Robot Slugfests! Maybe...Grendizer or Getter Robo And Getter Robo G aka Jim Terry’s Starvengers! I realize I am dating myself. Does anyone remember...Spotlight? One of Cable’s first commercial free movie channels. Force Five, Godzilla, live action Shorts and movies like Ringo Starr’s Caveman And Saturday the 14th airing 3 times in one day.

I also want Grendizer and the Getter Robo TV animes. And hopefully Discotek will license Mazinkaiser and 2005 Gaiking remake.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
NJ: I thought Regenesis was a reboot.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Cyberdraco, Not a fan of Gaiking 2005. I Love the original. Discotek released it 4 years ago. Of recent Super Robot Anime Getter Robo Armageddon And GoDannar Are my modern faves! Maybe Daimos will get picked up by Discotek. The 3rd part of the Robot Romance Trilogy Of Voltes V, Combattler V and of course Daimos. Are you a fan of Science Ninja Team Gatchaman? Season 1 is Epic! S2 And S3 Are Good, But Nothing compared to Season 1.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:16 am Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
Of recent Super Robot Anime Getter Robo Armageddon And GoDannar Are my modern faves!

Those aren't exactly "recent" anymore. Razz

Quote:
Maybe Daimos will get picked up by Discotek. The 3rd part of the Robot Romance Trilogy Of Voltes V, Combattler V and of course Daimos.

Daimos is no longer a matter of if but when due to Toei spoiling things back in April when they blocked the licensed shows from their Tokusatsu YouTube channel which included all three.

Quote:
Are you a fan of Science Ninja Team Gatchaman? Season 1 is Epic! S2 And S3 Are Good, But Nothing compared to Season 1.

I thought II was decent myself but was very disappointed with Fighter after it's second half and ending.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:43 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
I remember lamenting just a few years ago that NG Lamune & 40 would probably never be translated in full - and here we are now, with every series accounted for. Thanks again, Discotek! Smile

I know, right? I've had that CPM Knights of Ramune release for years and it was so baffling to me. It will be awesome to finally be able to watch the whole lot of it after all this time. While it might not be the greatest story ever told, I absolutely love odd little shows like this getting dusted off and pulled to the fore once again. I definitely agree and want to send major thanks for giving us more like this, Discotek. ^^
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:00 am Reply with quote
NJ, sure GoDannar And Getter Robo Armageddon are not recent, but they are my fave Super Robot Anime in the last 25 years! Also more recent than the 70’s.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why they decided to license this of all things, but for all I know, this might be a sign or something.

Dare I hope for a release of Laid-Back Camp or A Place Further Than The Universe??? I mean, they got Konosuba and Kemono Friends, so I don't see why they can't license those shows!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:20 am Reply with quote
What is Lamune anyway? It looks like the sort of 90s anime that I would watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1