• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Overlord Author Kugane Maruyama Expresses Frustration at Fan Translations

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
Feel sorry for u man... /s
ChestPains

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Considering people buy the official because of the fan TL then well who am I kidding we've all had this same discussion hundreds of times with previous articles.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
lmao.
The official translator's rant is even more stupid... https://twitter.com/tiger/status/1133150278750883840
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Do it. Call this guys bluff. Kinda interesting he would care so much about the much smaller American market than his own bigger domestic market though. He'd be one of the few ones considering how flippant Japanese creators are about foreign markets.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so because there's an american fan translation of his work he doesn't feel like he should bother finishing the work? Are margin in LN so razor thin that volume that don't get published in NA lose money?

And I still don't understand why official translation are so incredibly slow compared to fan version, I can somewhat understand when it involved printing the book and everything, for digital publication shouldn't the official version be faster since they can pay someone to do it full time compared to fan who do it part time?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
he's blaming the fans when he should be blaming the american distributors who make fans wait legally for content that already exists ex. netflix not simulcasting its anime. if japanese fans heard that the latest chapter of there favorite manga was available illegally but theyd have to wait like half a year to purchase it legally, they would do what were doing in a heartbeat.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I mean, it's questionable if a side-novel included with the BD/Dvd would ever be officially translated in English, since the rights are very complicated. Yen Press would certainly never be given the rights, unfortunately. The only instance I know of is the newest season of Highschool Dxd sold by Funimation including a light novel when that series has never been available in English outside the manga or anime. So I see nothing wrong with a fan translation of that. But the main novel series is licensed by Yen Press and is not that far behind the Japanese publication, so any fan translations of that should stop.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
For all the people saying that the author should feel honored that hundreds or thousands are stealing his work, you're in no better position than he is in saying it's demoralizing.

The number of people who read fan translations and then go on to buy the official release are likely to have purchased it anyway. (especially if you're volumes in) Those who don't are stealing access when they might be otherwise tempted to purchase. The author has no leverage when someone can share the product en masse. That affects his pocketbook, and thus his motivation to keep writing.

If you're going to go on and on about how pirating is actually good for the industry due to positive side effects, you also have to acknowledge the negative side effects: Less authors who want to work a relatively low-paying career when they might get more stable employment with better benefits working a desk job.

Last edited by Morry on Tue May 28, 2019 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guspaz

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
And I still don't understand why official translation are so incredibly slow compared to fan version, I can somewhat understand when it involved printing the book and everything, for digital publication shouldn't the official version be faster since they can pay someone to do it full time compared to fan who do it part time?

Light novel translation is not a high-paying job, and most do it as part-time work. Those who do it full-time need multiple simultaneous projects in order to make enough money to earn a living. That tends to impose a certain minimum time required to produce a volume. The fastest possible speed is probably what you'd find on the J-Novel Club series that were put on an accelerated translation pace, which would mean roughly two months for a finished book. As to why some publishers take three or four months per volume, that's a combination of the release cadence that they've chosen and the peculiarities of their publishing pipelines. Print-first publishers like Yen Press also often align their digital releases to the print schedule, while digital-first publishers like J-Novel Club decouple the publishing schedules for the digital and print versions.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Notably this is a bonus for those who bought the full set of Overlord III, it will not be part of the Yen Press release of the main series, and very unlikely to be included whenever Funimation gets around releasing the anime adaptation.
And THAT is the hill he chose to die on? Really?

If Overlord was on my reading list(it isn't) and the only version of this side-novel was translated by fans, I'd still track it down and read it.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I understand why authors get angry over piracy though there isn't any benefit in venting about it. I doubt he is going to change his plans for the light novels though I am somewhat surprised that he is planning to end Overlord with the 18th light novel since the series has been doing well.

meiam wrote:
J-Novel Club has less than a year delay so it is mainly due to physical book releases. There is nothing that prevents Yen Press and other western companies from doing the same thing if they wanted.
Number 6

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the Overlord light novel so I wasn't up to par on its progress but after a quick search on it, I won't deny that Maruyama makes a complaint that is valid, but it might be more of an excuse to mask lack of interest in writing, if he's not being sarcastic that is. If it's like this, it means he's trying to shift any backlash of the fans towards fan translations instead of him. I hope I'm wrong though. I want Overlord to have a quality progression and ending when I eventually read it.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I can't blame people reading fan translations, if they released new volumes quicker so people can catch up to the Japanese, this wouldn't be a problem.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't mean to be glib about it, but that's entirely his right. What people don't understand is that just because something exists and is available to others, doesn't give someone else the right to take it and do as they want with it. Does it suck when a series isn't available outside of Japan? Or when Netflix sandboxes a show for a season or more even though they could just as well simulcast it? Of course it does. But at the same time, I'm not gonna get mad at the creator, the producer, the folks behind actually creating the anime/manga/game/etc., because their choice for distribution isn't what I want. They created it. They're the ones with skin in the game. They can choose as many or as few folks be exposed to it at whatever pace they want. And when "fans" decide not to respect that, guess what; the same creators can pull the plug or end it all whenever and however they want too.
Eztli_

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Well I hope that the side story in question will get an official English release my Dad would be quite happy to read it, since he's a big Overlord fan.

In regards to the fan translations. I believe I read from somewhere that a producer have said that "piracy is a service problem". I'm sure most people who read the fan translations would be more than happy to buy the actual books if they can or that the supply meets demand for the novels.

So I believe the rant might've been a bit nonconstructive, and this incident if handled properly will result in greater profits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5