• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Kenjiro Tsuda Reveals He Is Married With 2 Kids

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:39 am Reply with quote
TsudaKen with a surprising reveal. The people who knowledegable on the subject know how Japan gets about this, but I'm not bothered that he hid it. Disappointed that this has to happen to him. It's just funny considering the many flamboyant characters he voices because he has that voice to play the part. What an actor.

Quote:
Kenjiro Tsuda is perhaps best known as the voice of Seto Kaiba in Yu-Gi-Oh!

The link goes to the original 1998 Yugioh anime. He voiced Kaiba in Duel Monsters. Hikaru Midorikawa voiced Kaiba in the 1998 series.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:58 am Reply with quote
It sucks that he had to reveal this personal information like this, and it's even worse that people were threatening him and his wife for getting married. Hope Tsuda and his family continue to stay safe, and that the tabloids burn in hell. Respect people's privacy, dammit.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:01 am Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:
It sucks that he had to reveal this personal information like this, and it's even worse that people were threatening him and his wife for getting married. Hope Tsuda and his family continue to stay safe, and that the tabloids burn in hell. Respect people's privacy, dammit.

My comment may sound nonsense but If this happen in the U.S., I think it would've been opposite.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:11 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
RenRen94 wrote:

My comment may sound nonsense but If this happen in the U.S., I think it would've been opposite.

It does sound like nonsense, because there's been plenty of cases of fans threatening celebrities here in the US, not just for marriage but for dating. People like to pretend Japan is worst with this stuff but just go look at Justin Bieber fans in the early 2010s for one example
Demonskid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:36 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the promotional video "Way of the House Husband" that he was in, and wished they were making an actual live action drama for it. He just fit that role so perfectly.

Sucks that he had to hide his marital status to begin with, even more, it sucks that he's pretty much forced to announce it because people can't mind their own business when it comes to celebrities. Enjoy the entertainment they give, but let them live their lives.

I hope he and his family stay safe and happy.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:31 am Reply with quote
Grats to him, and fudge Japan for its stupid celebrity policies. Let them be happy.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Grats to him, and fudge Japan for its stupid celebrity policies. Let them be happy.

This has nothing to do with any "policy" in Japan (and it's kind of an ethnocentric accusation)... celebrity entitlement is pretty universal in all cultures. Someone brought up Justin Bieber's girlfriends getting all sorts of attacks during Bieber Fever in the early 2010s, and there are the "Larries" in One Direction's fanbase who are still convinced to this day Harry and Louis are dating in secret and have sent death threats to Louis' wife and kids.

It also has to be noted that Japanese people value privacy a lot and some people don't want their personal lives mixed in with work, and that includes mentioning their families. Almost all celebrities in Japan are using stage names when working (like their names will be pronounced the same but will use different kanji).
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:

It also has to be noted that Japanese people value privacy a lot and some people don't want their personal lives mixed in with work, and that includes mentioning their families. Almost all celebrities in Japan are using stage names when working (like their names will be pronounced the same but will use different kanji).

Aren't some celebrities in the Western countries have stage names instead real names?
Not gonna lie, I'm struggle to understand why Japanese are very, VERY private people?

I feel like Japanese are more private than Americans and even Europeans(well, except Germans, which, like Japanese -- are privacy conscious people)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand how this is just now coming out when he says they got threats when they first got married. Someone(s) obviously knew about it then. How did he manage to "disappear" this news between then and now?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:
Almost all celebrities in Japan are using stage names when working (like their names will be pronounced the same but will use different kanji).

That's a bit of an exaggeration. I wouldn't say the majority of them use stage names. There are those who do, of course, but I don't think even half do.

It's sad that some "fans" will take such extreme measures.
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
People have a right to privacy.If person is say Y(whatever that y is) respect that.It's not okay to be mean about that.Sure you you might not like it but please respect that.It's sad to see people having to hide simple stuff like being married.That should be a happy thing.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I always kind of assumed that Tsuda was married and just wasn't public with it. Shame that it was the taboloids that had to force this out of him.

And death threats? Jeez.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:04 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Ming Yi wrote:
Almost all celebrities in Japan are using stage names when working (like their names will be pronounced the same but will use different kanji).

That's a bit of an exaggeration. I wouldn't say the majority of them use stage names. There are those who do, of course, but I don't think even half do.

Rule of thumb, if there are old school photo albums with the name they're known as, then it's the real name, which yes is pretty common.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:56 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't understand how this is just now coming out when he says they got threats when they first got married. Someone(s) obviously knew about it then. How did he manage to "disappear" this news between then and now?

There is a bit of misunderstanding here. He got the treats when he announced somethere what he plans to marry. So he had to hide the fact of actually doing so.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:
This has nothing to do with any "policy" in Japan (and it's kind of an ethnocentric accusation)... celebrity entitlement is pretty universal in all cultures. Someone brought up Justin Bieber's girlfriends getting all sorts of attacks during Bieber Fever in the early 2010s, and there are the "Larries" in One Direction's fanbase who are still convinced to this day Harry and Louis are dating in secret and have sent death threats to Louis' wife and kids.
While the problem is fairly universal, it is worse in some countries than others. Japan is one of the worst countries for this (along with South Korea), and a lot of talent agencies have actual policies that their younger talent (under 25 often), especially women, are not even allowed to date. FWIW, America is also pretty bad compared to Europe where this is much less of a problem.

ErikaD.D wrote:
Not gonna lie, I'm struggle to understand why Japanese are very, VERY private people?
Different countries place different importance on various "rights." The right to privacy for example is very weak in North America, especially in the USA, but in France it's extremely strong. Japanese law isn't particularly strong on privacy, and their concept of privacy is very different from the Western Concept.

Foreigners often mistake Japanese shyness (enryo) for privacy. Culturally speaking, Japanese are often shy to speak about themselves, or to outright ask others about themselves.

Japanese doesn't even have a word for "Privacy." They use the English word as a loanword (プライバシー). The closest Japanese equivalents are Naimitsu and Naisho, which refer to secrecy as opposed to privacy. However Japanese discussion about "privacy" is usually about data protection, not traditional privacy. Data Protection laws didn't even exist in Japan until they were imported from the West less than 20 years ago.[1]

Enryo is unfortunately thrown on it's head in entertainment, where obsessive fans demand details about celebrities' private lives. Japan does have privacy laws[1,2], but to the best of my understanding, they are not very effective in these circumstances. So celebrities are left to their own devices and those of their agencies. Many resort to pseudonyms, others hide every detail of their life, etc. As mentioned above, many agencies ban their talent from having relationships, and they will go to great lengths to hide any relationships that talent are involved in (even perfectly ethical relationships). Unfortunately this isn't out of concern for the safety or privacy of the talent or their spouses, it's for marketing reasons. Single celebrities, both male and female, are much more marketable.

[1] http://www.isc.meiji.ac.jp/~ethicj/Privacy%20protection%20in%20Japan.pdf
[2] https://www.generalunion.org/laws-and-rights/1490-a-guide-to-privacy-laws-in-japan
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2