• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Terumi Nishii: Netflix's Bigger Budgets Haven't Trickled Down to Actual Animators

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I refuse to believe Netflix shows have bigger budgets than the average programming when half of them are cg that looks like total shit
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:14 pm Reply with quote
JohnHawk wrote:
I refuse to believe Netflix shows have bigger budgets than the average programming when half of them are cg that looks like total shit

...did you read the article? They specifically said that none of that extra money actually makes it to the production level - it all gets absorbed by general operations, so the larger budget ends up having close to zero impact on final quality.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"It's like if it rains in a desert. It gets swallowed by the sand, and it's not enough to make plants grow."
So until things are out of the red, nothing will change. And I'm sceptical that it will even after/if that ever happens.
JohnHawk wrote:
An offensively ugly looking cg Anime still costs a lot of money.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Everyone says to support streaming services to support the anime companies. Does any of the money even reach them?
Piexouar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
*Pretends to be shocked*
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Everyone says to support streaming services to support the anime companies. Does any of the money even reach them?

The money goes to the companies that fund the shows in the first place, but not the animation studio unless they're one of the funders. So it kinda depends on your definition of "anime company".
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
at this point the only way I can find to support a company directly is to send them a check in the mail or buy company-specific merchandise but the only company I know that does international sales of such merchandise is Kyoani since they own most their licenses.

I'm not really in shock by this news and I hope stuff like this pushed companies away from Netflix. They're not a good company. Sure they get more exposure to casuals but that's about it... No casual subs to Netflix specifically for said anime, it's usually "I have Netflix already so I'll try this show"
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Actar wrote:
at this point the only way I can find to support a company directly is to send them a check in the mail or buy company-specific merchandise but the only company I know that does international sales of such merchandise is Kyoani since they own most their licenses.

I'm not really in shock by this news and I hope stuff like this pushed companies away from Netflix. They're not a good company. Sure they get more exposure to casuals but that's about it... No casual subs to Netflix specifically for said anime, it's usually "I have Netflix already so I'll try this show"

So, move to Crunchyroll or FUNimation instead? I want to know because I'm referring if you were speaking objectively.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
In conclusion, chasing the overseas markets has done jack to help animators. This experiment is a huge failure for all but those on top and they are back to square one. So not even this choice is screwing over the industry in more ways than one, the animators aren't even benefiting from overseas money, animators that NEED the money the most.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Actar wrote:
Trigger also have an online store, I got the first Little Witch Academia film from there .
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:06 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Actar wrote:
Trigger also have an online store, I got the first Little Witch Academia film from there .

Trigger also has their own Patreon page, for that matter.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

So, move to Crunchyroll or FUNimation instead? I want to know because I'm referring if you were speaking objectively.

On a purely business level there's not much any given consumer can do to impact change within the current system. So long as animators are largely freelance workers and anime studios work on pre-budgeted contracts, the success or failure of anything besides the rare original work that has the studio on the production committee is irrelevant to how much the animators get paid. In the same way buying from a particular retail store won't have any effect on that store's employees getting paid, there's just not an avenue for consumption as advocacy. Any change will have to come in the form of more direct activism, either via animators unionizing, broader cultural change within the industry that better values the most essential workers in it, or legal reform to increase pay and working conditions.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Its not surprising, but disappointing given the fact that the animation is often the best part of any Netflix anime (minus some of the 3d garbage - although I suspect that it still was very difficult work even if the product isn't attractive). The general quality of any Netflix anime in other areas (story, characters, flow, etc.) is sorely lacking.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:21 pm Reply with quote
JohnHawk wrote:

I never understood how increasing budget increases how good an anime looks. Paying an artist more money doesnt mean their artwork will exponentially increase in looks. At some point time and skill become the more limiting factors.

Also CG should be expensive...software licenses for commercial purposes are expensive, add on packages are expensive, modifying software, hardware, training and service contracts are expensive. I was sure companies complained about remotevanime work beimg expensive because of buying More licenses.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote
JohnHawk wrote:

Oh it happens to non 3d shows as well. Netflix stealing season 2 rights for adventures of saiki k from funimation is a prime example. Same with teasing takagi san season 2
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3