• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Official Death Note Wristwatch Comes With Secret Compartment

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Huh, that watch sure is nice. Would probably buy if I lived in Japan. Unfortunately I don't, the shipping and customs would be at least $150. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Too bad Crying or Very sad
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Actually this watch is a cheap over priced imitation of the real watch that was used in the manga.

I know I almost bought the real one when the manga was still being serialized.

The watch Light was given is a Omega Speed Master Professional aka the man on the moon watch worn by Neil Armstrong and various Apollo personal.

Back then in 2008-ish the watch was only 3000 dollars, a new model one sold today is over 5000 dollars. Still kicking myself could have bought it worn it for 10 years and got all my money back and made a few bucks off it. Normally you lose money on a luxury watch just like a car as it gets older.

Only thing this watch has going for it is the back pops off easy for the hidden compartment which a real Omega can not do.

Last edited by Dfens on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit, I looked up these watches that Dfens was talking about and theyre so expensive.
Makes sense though, Light was the sort of person who would and could afford to wear something so expensive.

Maybe one day I'll be able to make enough money where I can make purchases like that.
Or maybe I'll hit the jackpot in the lottery.
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Actually if you re-read the manga Light received his Omega Watch from his father as a present for graduating Highschool top of his class and then entering Toudai University Japans number one college with a perfect entrance exam score.

So he didn't buy it himself, he comes from a upper middle class family being that his Dad was a high ranking Police Officer.

Calsolum if you put a few extra dollars away each month for a few years you could easily buy a Omega or other luxury watch. That's what I did and I'm currently have enough for another one without hurting my savings.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:11 am Reply with quote
Damn that's a cool watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1