• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: VTuber Kusunoki Sio Announces Hiatus Due to Harassment

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olgita

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
People are the worst
Misharu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Miko is taking a break because of health issues, not family. She mentioned a few days ago that she will not be posting on twitter as often because she was going to the hospital.
Adv193

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Shows there is security issues going on with online activities in places like that.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:45 pm Reply with quote
This is really bizarre. First of all it's very unlikely anyone "hacked" her accounts. It's basically impossible that someone with that ability would use it for something as low profit as this. You never hear about hacks because they're just so rare. 90+% of "hacks" are from massive data breaches or the person getting spoofed or keylogged. I'm not implying it was her fault at all, just that she was a victim in another way, not a "hack". The fact that they apparently tried to brute force her accounts suggests this as well. How they got her private info is more concerning, honestly. She didn't say they actually got into her accounts so I can only assume they didn't. But then where did the info come from? The first time I heard of something like this happening it ended up being someone that knew the vtuber in real life from before. To me that's even scarier than a random person. People you trust basically trying to ruin your life? I hope that's not the case here and I hope she knows exactly how they got the data so she can find a way to protect it in the future.

Either way, people are pathetic. I don't get why they can't just watch and enjoy.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Adv193 wrote:
Shows there is security issues going on with online activities in places like that.

Not so much in this case, Sio is independent, but it is becoming a major issue with Nijisanji and Hololive Vtubers. In this case some rando, probably a deranged fan is trying to ruin Sio's career for most likely the usual reasons that any idol gets attacked for.
Artesox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:14 pm Reply with quote
The hacking attempts is ridiculous and should stop. Though Sio's situation is very complicated, if she truly gave out personal info of her co-workers on what is basically Japanese 4chan I can see why many will try to distance themselves from her.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:54 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This is really bizarre. First of all it's very unlikely anyone "hacked" her accounts. It's basically impossible that someone with that ability would use it for something as low profit as this. You never hear about hacks because they're just so rare. 90+% of "hacks" are from massive data breaches or the person getting spoofed or keylogged.
I disagree. You are implying because the majority of hacking is done for significant gains like money or valuable information that hacking itself is a costly or difficult process. It really isn't, there are really simple ways to gain access to another person's account or sensitive information. This is why it is so important to be extremely careful in whom you trust, what information you are making public and doing things to protect your accounts like complicated passwords and changing them frequently.

In any case, whatever Sio said or did online, it made someone upset enough that they were determined enough to take revenge. The world we live in centers so much around our internet personas and relationships. We take for granted how easily it can all fall apart once you become the victim of cyberterrorism.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:07 pm Reply with quote
A rather sad update to this - Aloe from Hololive has 'graduated' - retired from streaming. According to the maddeningly vague statement released by hololive, "Mano Aloe decided that she was not physically or mentally prepared to continue with her activities". Apparently she was apparently receiving harassment not only online, but also irl, which makes a statement like this come across as blaming the victim to try and avoid further controversy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1