• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sakura Wars Gets New Smartphone Game, Streams 24-Minute Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seagloom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:05 pm Reply with quote
The anime wasn't bad. It easily blew away the recent Shin Sakura Taisen anime in terms of production values. The premise is decent; and my worries about how they would design a modern Tokyo while keeping the Sakura Wars spirit were allayed after that first video put me off with those dour character designs and idol trappings.

It's all great! ...Except for this being a mobile game with in-app purchases. -_- Guess I'll stick to watching story content on YouTube.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Shirakami Fubuki and Houshou Marine are "ambassadors" for this game which is basically where my interest is lol. I doubt we'll see this in the West with mobile games dying here so fast.
merr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
So does this mean Shin Sakura Taisen is dead?
Seagloom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
So does this mean Shin Sakura Taisen is dead?

Highly unlikely. Shin Sakura Taisen performed well enough in Japan. There's been a stream of merch based on it with no end in sight, and even an upcoming stage play. I fully expect a sequel someday.

Sega also has a third trademark that doesn't appear to be tied to this mobile game: Sakura Ishin. My money is on it being a remake of some sort, but I'm admittedly basing that solely on the name. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1