• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Failed Princesses GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I loved this book so much. It’s one of the best yuri I’ve read this year and just one of the best books I’ve read period. There’s a reality to it that a lot of yuri can’t even touch and the leads and their interactions are amazing.

Great review Smile.
Florete

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Sounds great. Now to wait for it to actually come in the mail...
murgleis1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Read this from a friend. Not sure why every single yuri story has to demonize the male sex (or pretend they don't exist) in order to establish the basis of a same-sex romance, but there you go.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:53 am Reply with quote
murgleis1 wrote:
Read this from a friend. Not sure why every single yuri story has to demonize the male sex (or pretend they don't exist) in order to establish the basis of a same-sex romance, but there you go.
In my opinion male characters add nothing to yuri stories and are just a waste of time so I'm happy when their non existent. Then again I'm crazy and wont even read this story because of the ex boyfriend bit.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:23 am Reply with quote
School is hell. Life is hell. Death is hell. Matt Groening only knows.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:24 pm Reply with quote
murgleis1 wrote:

Maybe I'm not reading enough bad stories, but I've yet to read a yuri that demonizes men at all. (The only one that comes to mind is "Sexiled," which seems to be primarily a revenge fantasy against real-life sexism, with the yuri material kind of secondary to that.) Some could be described as "pretending they don't exist" but, well, in a genre where the two-ish main characters are female by necessity, that's gonna happen sometimes.

In regards to this one, the review only mentions one bad male character, so you may be jumping to conclusions about its broader point with that, if there even is one. "Rebound romance after getting cheated on" is a common plot structure for both straight and LGBT couples.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I haven't picked this up yet, wasn't sure if I would. The art felt a little off to me, and the popular girl x plain girl concept just made me think of Girlfriends, except that Mari wasn't picked on or anything, and her makeover was pretty much just a haircut. This kinda gives me FASHION!! MAKE-UP!! GIRLS MUST CARE ABOUT THESE THINGS vibes, but that's only based off the digital descriptions of the first two volumes and the first volume's preview, so I guess I can't really judge and will probably end up giving it a shot anyway.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:27 am Reply with quote
@marshmallowpie

That's a really valid concern, and a pet peeve of mine (as a woman who doesn't give a damn about fashion or makeup) as well. There's definitely a little of it in this volume, but that's mostly because it's so important to one of the girls. It's balanced out (I think) by the give-and-take aspect of her starting to read manga. I can't speak to volume two, but in this book, it isn't a deal-breaker.

I do think the characters are a little better developed than in Girlfriends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1